Walked out of interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MoosePilot said:
Here's a hint. Most PhDs never really contribute anything special to science. They're just a different flavor of worker bee with a chance to make a contribution to science if they turn out markedly more talented/lucky than the other 99% of their ilk./
should i say that most practicing doctors are uncreative technicians who don't contribute anything new to science and are really just pawns of the PhD's and MD-researchers who actually find things out? no, i shouldn't say that, i'm in a medical forum where no one has such mindless, self-aggrandising thoughts. oh crap, i said it.

MoosePilot, i did respect your opinions, but you have GOT to be kidding me! i hope no one here is dumb enough to agree with EITHER black-and-white ridiculous statement, mine in jest or yours seriously! so by that logic, the OP can get held up by an MD, but not a PhD because clinicians are god? that's exactly the kind of self-serving, egocentric crap that plagues the medical profession, and if that's what you think, you should not be a doctor. period. same to all who think MD's should be able to walk all over non-MD's--clearly you have the wrong idea about what MD means.

Members don't see this ad.

banana k said:
should i say that most practicing doctors are uncreative technicians who don't contribute anything new to science and are really just pawns of the PhD's and MD-researchers who actually find things out? no, i shouldn't say that, i'm in a medical forum where no one has such mindless, self-aggrandising thoughts. oh crap, i said it.

MoosePilot, i did respect your opinions, but you have GOT to be kidding me! i hope no one here is dumb enough to agree with EITHER black-and-white ridiculous statement, mine in jest or yours seriously! so by that logic, the OP can get held up by an MD, but not a PhD because clinicians are god? that's exactly the kind of self-serving, egocentric crap that plagues the medical profession, and if that's what you think, you should not be a doctor. period. same to all who think MD's should be able to walk all over non-MD's--clearly you have the wrong idea about what MD means.

I'm sorry, did you ever hear me compare PhDs to MDs? Do you have some insecurity I'm the unwiting observer to?

Okay, good point, my bad. (I don't; I just have more respect for PhD's than you apparently do.) I just have a problem with your characterisation of PhD's because it's low, it's silly, it's untrue, and it makes you sound awfully churlish.

Nobody has a right to walk all over someone else, regardless of their degree. That would be like discriminating based on race. Including MD's.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont worry

i walked out of my columbia interview because he was too arrogant/cocky/racist.

just to give you a little taste...

at the start of my interview, he asked me what my grades and mcat were..

i have a near 3.6 and he told me that i was the only asian person that he has ever interviewed in his 4 years on the committee to have that low of a gpa and get interviewed at columbia. key words are asian and low gpa.

he then proceeded on asking me what makes me so special to even make it to the interview spot. i told him that i am a very well rounded individual, with a strong balance in all aspects of the application-- from having a medical director write my rec to being published in my 2nd year of college for research to being a rhodes scholar to being president/founder of a now-popular organization and yada yada. i told grades are not everything.

he then scoffed and asked me why an asian guy would want to pursue a career in medicine.

later in the interview, he told me that what got him into medicine was this gut feeling. he said that he could go into the ER, look at a patient without talking to them or examining them, or know if they're sick. he told me he was born to be a doctor.

i was like oh please. some dudes are impossible to tell if they're sick if you dont talk to them or even examine them.....

i told him that if you're here, then there's got to be more of you here at this school. and i would not want to be in a learning environment that breeds types like you. then i walked out.

DNM503 said:
That may be the case, but if you are fortunate enough to be able to have a choice of which medical school you attend, how you are treated as an applicant is going to make a major impact on your decision because it likely reflects how you will be treated as a student. I declined an interview at Mount Sinai because they hung up on me twice without letting me finish my sentence. I believe you get the best training when you are SUPPORTED as a student, not walked all over or treated like crap. Yes, occasionally things will go wrong, people will have meetings, people will be late...but for it to happen twice in one day by the same person without any sort of notice is unprofessional and reflects poorly on the school. If it were me, I would rule out the school as well because I see that as a sign of the consideration you will get as a medical student. And if you have the option get more consideration/be treated better elsewhere, then why waste your time on places that do not even compare?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Grrr said:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

totally agree. see my post above...

you guys have to realize that the students make the schools. the schools do not make us.

it is sorta mutual, but at this stage in the process, the schools should really sell us to them. at the same time, we are already selling us to the schools becuase after all, we did apply to that school, we did spend over $130 for the primary and their secondary, we probably spend a couple of hundred to go to the interview, and of course, we gave up time in our busy lives to hear from the school...

it's a give and take process. for those that have options.. if a school treats you like ****, then more than likely you will get treated like that again in your 4 years there..

at some schools, once you get to the interview, they do not do jack to sell the school to you. no info session, no tour, nothing. they expect you to love the school and go there if accepted. but the fact is-- students make the school. a school may have the best hospital, but if the faculty and student suck ass, the reputation is worthless.

banana k said:
Okay, good point, my bad. (I don't; I just have more respect for PhD's than you apparently do.) I just have a problem with your characterisation of PhD's because it's low, it's silly, it's untrue, and it makes you sound awfully churlish.

Nobody has a right to walk all over someone else, regardless of their degree. That would be like discriminating based on race. Including MD's.

I'm not necessarily disrespectful of PhDs, the truth is that most people in whatever job won't be "amazing" or history making. Even in high status jobs, most people are still just ordinary. Since you say I'm wrong, do you think most PhDs are going to make some amazing contribution to science?

Are you serious. Given that we all know that there are people like that at every school, that kind of changes how much i want to go to columbia.

and also, i'm asian, my gpa is lower than yours, and i interviewed there. part of the reason i like the school so much is because i really liked my interviewer. if a school wasn't my first choice, i hope i'd have the balls to say something like that. although i hope you told him exactly what kind of breed (of racist) he is before you walked out.

theunderdog said:
dont worry

i have a near 3.6 and he told me that i was the only asian person that he has ever interviewed in his 4 years on the committee to have that low of a gpa and get interviewed at columbia. key words are asian and low gpa.

he then proceeded on asking me what makes me so special to even make it to the interview spot. i told him that i am a very well rounded individual, with a strong balance in all aspects of the application-- from having a medical director write my rec to being published in my 2nd year of college for research to being a rhodes scholar to being president/founder of a now-popular organization and yada yada. i told grades are not everything.

he then scoffed and asked me why an asian guy would want to pursue a career in medicine.

later in the interview, he told me that what got him into medicine was this gut feeling. he said that he could go into the ER, look at a patient without talking to them or examining them, or know if they're sick. he told me he was born to be a doctor.

i was like oh please. some dudes are impossible to tell if they're sick if you dont talk to them or even examine them.....

i told him that if you're here, then there's got to be more of you here at this school. and i would not want to be in a learning environment that breeds types like you. then i walked out.

I'm not going to get into the debate about what the OP did, but I wanted to point out something that we should keep in mind.

The people you get as interviewers at med school interviews do not represent the people you will be working with for the next four years. As an example, I have managed to get through 3.5 years of med school without ever encountering my 2 faculty interviewers. And during my time here I have seen that the interviewers do not represent the range of physicians you will meet during med school. Trust me, every med school has its share of @ssholes. I actually hated one school (and vowed not to go there) based on an interviewer, which I now realize is completely silly. That one person certainly did not represent the school. So if you get some schmuck for an interviewer, don't assume that everyone at the school is like that. If you think the person is a jerk, chances are that the other physicians at the school think that person is a jerk also.

theunderdog said:
dont worry

I think there's a big difference between being 15+ minutes late to an interview versus outright racism. It makes total perfect sense to me that one would not want to go to a school where the interviewer is racist, sexist, etc. For this very reason, there are even federal laws prohibiting the kind of conduct you are alleging of this interviewer. But being late is not even in the same ballpark. Everyone on this board will at some point be guilty of being late to something -- it happens. You try to minimize it, but it happens.

theunderdog... that sucks monkeys! kudos for standing up...

moosepilot, just because you don't think a certain field is important and therefore can't appreciate breakthroughs that are made there doesn't mean it's unimportant. kind of like rugby. do i care that someone breaks X record? no. do i even understand the difference between rugby union and rugby league? definitely not. do i doubt that said record-breaker has worked hard and done something he's proud of? no, and good on him, as far as i'm concerned. i don't understand ANYTHING that's going on down the hall from me, but if someone takes a couple hours to explain the concepts they're investigating, how they're investigating it, and the applications and significance of the possible outcomes, i can see how it is an important thing to do in that field. might take a lot more steps for implications to filter down to the hoi polloi, but science is a web of findings to be built upon--one guy doesn't desperately try to cure something on his own. yours is a rather common misconception--actually kind of a similar misconception to the one about doctors knowing everything. (whoa, was i disappointed there.)

just tell me you'll never join a grant committee, and please be a GP.

oh yeah, and as for schools trying to impress YOU at the same time... when i was interviewing, i picked sydney over melbourne entirely based on their interview attitudes. at sydney, both interviewers very friendly and solicitous, and they happily discussed my questions for them in addition to their questions for me. melbourne, on the other hand, seemed keen to just find the best person to fill their space in the class, didn't discuss anything with me, didn't let me ask the interviewers any questions even when i specifically asked, and seemed rather cold. i got the impression that sydney had the attitude of "we want you because you're good" and melbourne took the stance that "you should want us because we're good". i picked sydney.

see above story.

i was actually reinvited back to columbia for another interview. i think my interviewer realized he was at fault and demanded a second interview.

i went back to columbia for a 2nd time. this time, i actually met the associate dean, who then apologized to me! after my interview, i was told to expect good news.

moral of the story: stand up for yourself always, regardless of your candidacy. your decision to pick that school is as equally important as their decision to pick you.

Members don't see this ad :)
u-dog!
I'm so glad you did what you did. As a recent acceptee, I'm now realizing the insane, submissive behavior I perpetrated for a good 2 1/2 years. While I'm sure others will argue it was unprofesssional, I think it was awesome. :thumbup:

mamd2be said:
I neglected to say... before I went to meet with her for the second time, the coordinator said she spoke to the interviewer and that she was in her office waiting for me.

The interview day isn't just for them to get to know us. It's also our chance to get to see them... its all about first impressions... and I was not impressed.

So how long should I have waited???? I could still be there, waiting for her to interview me the first time around if I didn't go hunt the coordinator down. I'm sorry but the interviewer not being present the second time around, is unacceptable.

Maybe I'm turning into an arogant jerk now that I've been
accepted????

Hmm.. Could be. J/K. Listen, I'm sorry that it didn't work out for ya. Guess you didn't want to go to Loma Linda.

For the rest of us, it is the med schools that pick us. Not the other way around. Kind of sounds like you did everyone else a favor except yourself.

I wouldn't dwell on this if you never really wanted to attend that school in particular.. Congratulations for already receiving an acceptance! :thumbup:

theunderdog said:
moral of the story: stand up for yourself always, regardless of your candidacy. your decision to pick that school is as equally important as their decision to pick you.

That's all well and good, except it does not negate the fact that the OP acted immaturely and unprofessionally. Although I do not think the OP should have been licking the interviewer's boots, she should have let the admission's office know she was leaving secondary to the interviewer not being in the office the 2nd time around. To just walk away without saying anything to anybody is not appropriate behavior -- it is petulant and pouty and has nothnig to do with her "standing up for herself."

banana k said:
moosepilot, just because you don't think a certain field is important and therefore can't appreciate breakthroughs that are made there doesn't mean it's unimportant. kind of like rugby. do i care that someone breaks X record? no. do i even understand the difference between rugby union and rugby league? definitely not. do i doubt that said record-breaker has worked hard and done something he's proud of? no, and good on him, as far as i'm concerned. i don't understand ANYTHING that's going on down the hall from me, but if someone takes a couple hours to explain the concepts they're investigating, how they're investigating it, and the applications and significance of the possible outcomes, i can see how it is an important thing to do in that field. might take a lot more steps for implications to filter down to the hoi polloi, but science is a web of findings to be built upon--one guy doesn't desperately try to cure something on his own. yours is a rather common misconception--actually kind of a similar misconception to the one about doctors knowing everything. (whoa, was i disappointed there.)

err...wow. talk about screwed up critical reading skills. u'll make a perfect contribution to the scientific and medical community :laugh: (we're prolly better than most fields in this regard, but there are still too many people in our fields who'll make basic critical thinking/argumentative mistakes, lol) (err...hint on how u just screwed up: u just switched the subjects, and inadvertantly got pissed off with a strawman :laugh: )

nekrogg said:
I honestly hope for your patients sake you dont retain this condescending attitude. In any case, next time you have an interview try walking out and see far in life you will get: it will be our SDN experiment of a failure in action.
:rolleyes: an SDN classic. If in doubt, call someone's ability to be a good doctor into question.

TheProwler said:
:rolleyes: an SDN classic. If in doubt, call someone's ability to be a good doctor into question.

Yes- This happens on far too many threads. It's a cop out argument. But besides that, premeds are in singularly bad positions to be telling other premeds that they will make bad doctors (based on their opinions rather than their skills, no less). People who live in glass houses...

Live life by the golden rule I say.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Your interviewer should have at least notified you that he/she was going to be late the second time if not the first.

There's no excuses, especially the second time around.

Just because he/she's a doctor doesn't give him/her the right to possess a holier-than-thou attitude.

If the OP is still reading this, I just want you to know that you've taken a stand for pre-meds everywhere.

Although I wouldn't recommend for someone who wasn't as qualified to do the same, myself included, I'm glad someone showed these schools that common courtesy needs to be something that is mutual.

And for the record, I don't think what you did was immature because it was justified. 15 minutes is too long a wait. If you were 15 minutes late for your interview do you think med schools interviewers would wait for you?

Pkboi24 said:
Live life by the golden rule I say.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Your interviewer should have at least notified you that he/she was going to be late the second time if not the first.

There's no excuses, especially the second time around.

Just because he/she's a doctor doesn't give him/her the right to possess a holier-than-thou attitude.

If the OP is still reading this, I just want you to know that you've taken a stand for pre-meds everywhere.

Although I wouldn't recommend for someone who wasn't as qualified to do the same, myself included, I'm glad someone showed these schools that common courtesy needs to be something that is mutual.

And for the record, I don't think what you did was immature because it was justified. 15 minutes is too long a wait. If you were 15 minutes late for your interview do you think med schools interviewers would wait for you?

Yeah - really struck a blow for premeds -- no school interview will ever be the same as that one. :rolleyes:
FYI, I actually know of several people who were late for interviews (some for weather or other good reasons, one not so much, but recovered well) and still got in. So (assuming you weren't being sarcastic) yes, admissions offices sometimes do wait for interviewees.

robotsonic said:
I'm not going to get into the debate about what the OP did, but I wanted to point out something that we should keep in mind.

The people you get as interviewers at med school interviews do not represent the people you will be working with for the next four years. As an example, I have managed to get through 3.5 years of med school without ever encountering my 2 faculty interviewers. And during my time here I have seen that the interviewers do not represent the range of physicians you will meet during med school. Trust me, every med school has its share of @ssholes. I actually hated one school (and vowed not to go there) based on an interviewer, which I now realize is completely silly. That one person certainly did not represent the school. So if you get some schmuck for an interviewer, don't assume that everyone at the school is like that. If you think the person is a jerk, chances are that the other physicians at the school think that person is a jerk also.

probably one of the 2 or 3 smart things said on this thread. some of you really need to work on not getting SO heated in debates. keep your cool people. you're gonna be doctors. patience and a cool temper are key. go have an eskimo pie or something.

-mota

robotsonic said:

While I basically agree with robotsonic's point that a given interviewer may not be representative of the faculty at large, there is sometimes actually a VERY GOOD CHANCE of having to interact with that same person once you go to school there. It really depends on the school, and whether we are talking about a full time faculty person or some obscure department head working in another building. Some faculty who are active in interviews are also very active in other student courses and organizations. They are asked to interview because they genuinely like to be a part of things, or perceived to have an interest in students. So while at robosonic's school you may not ever encounter your interviewers, rest assured that at some places you might.

KingDong said:
[text removed by moderator]
Based on your "criteria", I would consider you far less qualified to be a good doctor than the OP. There is no reason to use offensive language like that...splitting up the words doesn't make them any more palatable. I find it humorous you would even think that would work or that we would find your criticism remotely effective. Well done. :rolleyes:

Rendar5 said:
err...wow. talk about screwed up critical reading skills. u'll make a perfect contribution to the scientific and medical community :laugh: (we're prolly better than most fields in this regard, but there are still too many people in our fields who'll make basic critical thinking/argumentative mistakes, lol) (err...hint on how u just screwed up: u just switched the subjects, and inadvertantly got pissed off with a strawman :laugh: )

^^^^^^
Read this!

:laugh: :laugh:

theunderdog said:
dont worry

i walked out of my columbia interview because he was too arrogant/cocky/racist...

Bad interviewers aside, you really got two interviews at Columbia with a 3.6 and a 27? :eek: That's friggin' awesome, and moreso that you told them to take a hike.

CameronFrye said:
This thread is hilarious. I can't believe you people would tolerate such treatment. As someone who is interviewing for residency right now, this crap would never fly at a residency interview (and if it did happen, that program would not be ranked by applicants).

True dat. I got totally jerked around on one of my interview days and that program ended up matching 1/6. Oops! It was more the fault of the interview coordinator (I suspect), but mine was not an isolated incident and the results were predictable.

To the OP, good for you. You had better offers on the line, so screw 'em. It's not like they're going to wonder why you bailed. If anything, they should be wondering how to avoid similar problems in the future.

I personally haven't known many PhD's who are very interested in med school admissions. They seem to view pre-meds as a rather amusing species of animal whose defining characteristic is desperation. There might also be a twinge of bitterness that in eight years the present-day interviewees are going to be out-earning them.

-Havarti666, MD (2005), PhD (2001)

Havarti666 said:
I personally haven't known many PhD's who are very interested in med school admissions. They seem to view pre-meds as a rather amusing species of animal whose defining characteristic is desperation. There might also be a twinge of bitterness that in eight years the present-day interviewees are going to be out-earning them.

-Havarti666, MD (2005), PhD (2001)

Wow... that's SPOT ON. (with obvious exceptions, but as a general rule, sooo accurate!) fault on both parties--interviewers for occasional bitterness and standoffish amusement, and interviewees for desperation culture...

perhaps it comes us (phd's, premeds, md's alike) being a little too elitist and too quick to ascribe respect based on degree or occupation. peace out and respect the janitors.

banana k said:
theunderdog... that sucks monkeys! kudos for standing up...

Rugby league has 13 players to a side with no rucking or mauling allowed. They also have 4 downs like American football. Rugby union has 15 players per side and is what you typically see at most colleges/universities and what American teams play.

What a stupid example.

well, i don't care about rugby, though clearly you do. anyway, yes of course it was a stupid example--it was a stupid comment!

i might have said this before, but i've noticed this forum getting a lot nastier lately (towards just about everyone). OP's are humans too... is *constructive* criticism a weird thing to believe in? that's a serious question, not sarcastic?

banana k said:
well, i don't care about rugby, though clearly you do. anyway, yes of course it was a stupid example--it was a stupid comment!

i might have said this before, but i've noticed this forum getting a lot nastier lately (towards just about everyone). OP's are humans too... is *constructive* criticism a weird thing to believe in? that's a serious question, not sarcastic?

When the OP starts her post with seven "mad" smileys, and then doesn't actually seek information, just validation, it's only common sense to know there will be dissenters. I think people who read this thread now know there are people who would tend to strongly disagree with the OP's tactic, and perhaps they now won't take the same position on their own interviews. In that sense it is somewhat constructive, but maybe not for the OP. That's often the way things work here -- welcome to SDN. :cool:

The OP shows the classic sign of a diva attitude. That may be an asset in Hollywood and showbiz but i doubt so in the medical pofession. From the books i read from practicing doctors, they have stated that medicine is one of the most abusive but also rewarding job there is. Patients vomit on you, sue you maliciously, insult you, demand drugs they don't need, trap you and so on. Basically, you need patience, humility and above all care. If you walk around hammering "Heck, i don't need this! I already have acceptances to top colleges", you are going to close shop very soon. This experience at Lima, may be a good time for the OP to evaluate the traits that will him/her a good doctor. This was a good time for the OP to show maturity(a trait which med schools look for). By leaving a note or something with the admin. office would have shown that.
In life, you will meet jerks all the time. It's how you treat them matters.

banana k said:

This is a stressful/potentially frustrating time of year, people blow off steam in different ways, it isn't surprising that people use an anonymous forum to vent......

Telemachus said:
This is a stressful/potentially frustrating time of year, people blow off steam in different ways, it isn't surprising that people use an anonymous forum to vent......

And also bear in mind that there are probably people on here who would have literally waited days for the interviewer for the opportunity the OP threw away after waiting 15 mins.

Law2Doc said:
And also bear in mind that there are probably people on here who would have literally waited days for the interviewer for the opportunity the OP threw away after waiting 15 mins.

To be fair, you mean after the interviewer didn't show up once, was rescheduled, didn't show up again, and THEN the OP threw away the opportunity after waiting 15 mins.

Law2Doc said:

I think it's awesome that the OP was even in a position to do something like this. People like me are just chomping at the bit at the opportunity for any interview. =P

banana k said:

+pity+

Please tell me you're not THAT sensitive about rugby!

why is this thread still going?

I only read up to the 3rd page of this thread but it seems like there are a lot of people missing morals as well as common sense posting in this thread...

Anyways, EVERYBODY deserves respect whether you are a MD with 10 PhD's or a garbage man. Just because you were in school 12 years after high school and worked an 80 hour a week residency for 5 years doesn't give you the right to be an dingus.

With that said, if I was serious about getting an interview I wouldn't of talked to the admissions people. I would of found the doctors secretary. Secretaries are amazing, they are pretty much God's gift to the world. 99% of the time they know who to call or where the MD is at.

I work in the transplant surgery department at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Every Friday I have a scheduled meeting with my boss and not one time has he been there...lol

But it's all good because he doesn't make his own schedule. That is just the way the medical world works. Learn to deal with people...

TP

Law2Doc said:

And one of them may now have the opportunity, huh? Nice of the OP to expedite matters for the next person on the list...

I haven't read every post in this thread. I just wanted to add that the situation itself, as it was presented in the original post, could have been a part of the interview. They might have wanted to see how an applicant would react to the interviewer not showing up for the interview.

In one of my interviews, the interviewer kept getting phone calls. He could have easily had his calls held. I kind of looked at it as part of the interview, to see how I would react to being asked a question, and then to have to stop a few words into my answer, wait, and then pick back up again. Just my opinion. :)

jbone said:

wow guys - you're all being so hard on the kid! that sucks! i agree - you're not there to suck up, you're there to evaluate the school just as they are evaluating you. that type of behavior, while probably not intended to add to the stress of the interview day, is certainly not indicative of a real concern for the applicants. good luck in your other interviews! i would definitely contact the dean and interview coordinator immediately, but don't let everyone chastise you like this! you've been through enough already. good for you for being an independent person rather than another ass-kissing premed.

tiffany96 said:
wow guys - you're all being so hard on the kid! that sucks! i agree - you're not there to suck up, you're there to evaluate the school just as they are evaluating you. that type of behavior, while probably not intended to add to the stress of the interview day, is certainly not indicative of a real concern for the applicants. good luck in your other interviews! i would definitely contact the dean and interview coordinator immediately, but don't let everyone chastise you like this! you've been through enough already. good for you for being an independent person rather than another ass-kissing premed.

Im not sure why it would be ask kissing to simply talk to someone about what went on, instead of storming out in a rage.

MarzH05 said:
instead of storming out in a rage.

Yeah, such rage. I can feel it seething inside her veins every time I read her account of the incident:

mamd2be said:
Went to meet with her again... waited for 15 minutes... decided to leave.

If I ever get the chance to be a med school interviewer, I'll certainly arrive on time. Then I'll explain that I really have to drop a load and conduct the interview through the stall door while sitting on the can making loud gasseous noises. Take that, med school interviewees. :p