Walmart Contributed to the Opioid Crisis per DOJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

DEA issues controlled substance registrations. Who is the actual failure?

Nixon declared a war on drugs in 1971. How's that war going?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Quite frankly, Walmart is the last company government should be looking at when it comes to contributing to opioid crisis. They have blocked thousands of questionable prescribers; what else are supposed to do as a company?

Reactions: 1 users
Blaming pharmacy for opioid crisis is like blaming a car dealership for manufacturing defect. Its just stupid.

Reactions: 2 users
There are pharmacies who would fill anything; independent places are the worst offenders.

Reactions: 4 users
Quite frankly, Walmart is the last company government should be looking at when it comes to contributing to opioid crisis. They have blocked thousands of questionable prescribers; what else are supposed to do as a company?
From my perspective Walmart is a pain in the butt when it comes to filling opioids (even tramadol). I really hate dealing with them.

So I find it hard to believe they are a problem in this regard.

I use to work at Walmart and maybe this is stemming from before my time but in 2013 they were on top of it and gave the pharmacist full authority to deny a prescription. I never felt pressured to fill a control at Walmart and like above poster stated, they even blacklisted doctors and were early in doing so.

How dare Walmart prescribe so many unnecessary opioids to these patients

oh wait...

From my perspective Walmart is a pain in the butt when it comes to filling opioids (even tramadol). I really hate dealing with them.

So I find it hard to believe they are a problem in this regard.

I agree, I have a former tech who works there and apparently they call for DX codes and treatment plans on 5 day supplies from dentists and surgeons. Unless there's regional variations or this lawsuit is stemming from events of over a decade ago.....I have no clue how this is a thing.

A few years ago a patient forged a prescription for adderall with my name on it. I saw it on the pmp.
I called the Walmart, they didn't even get an id. So we couldn't prosecute the person.

• Wow
I agree, I have a former tech who works there and apparently they call for DX codes and treatment plans on 5 day supplies from dentists and surgeons. Unless there's regional variations or this lawsuit is stemming from events of over a decade ago.....I have no clue how this is a thing.
Last week I had a patient with a hip fracture who refused to go to the ED. Walmart wouldn't dispense more than a 5 day supply of norco for a freaking hip fracture.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Last week I had a patient with a hip fracture who refused to go to the ED. Walmart wouldn't dispense more than a 5 day supply of norco for a freaking hip fracture.
I don’t know Walmart’s policy, but I think a lot of places are trying to replace clinical judgment with blanket corporate policies on opioids that aren’t realistic and end up causing major problems on the “patient care” end of things, but that’s an afterthought right?
I think it is good but perhaps idealistic to have retail workers call for indication etc.. even with that information with how busy stores are it’s hard for pharmacists to go to bat on a lot of this stuff I imagine, besides the most flagrant of inappropriate scripts.

Walmart policy aligns with CDC. Current research shows that pts who take narcotics longer than 7 days or daily dose exceeding 50 mme are at higher risk of being dependent on it. This is how it works:

1) For acute condition ie. most fractures, cough, tooth-pull etc. we are allowed to do 7 day supply of narcotics with daily limit of 50 mme. So, following that example if it’s acute condition, then we can do 28 tabs of Norco 5 or Tramadol 50 1 qid and not 30. Also can’t do Norco 10 1 q4h #10 tabs but can certainly do 1 q6h #10. Exceptions can be made at pharmacists’ discretion ie. above example of hip fracture but it should be rare. There are two scenarios where this limit doesn’t apply:

1) If pt is taking narcotics for chronic conditions ie. osteoarthritis.

2) Pt had surgery done and was given narcotics during the surgery ie. knee replacement. In this situation, opioid prescription serves as 2nd fill because s/he was given something during procedure and 2nd prescription was necessary for sufficient pain control. So, this script can exceed 7 day supply or 50 mme limit.

If you are a doctor writing Tramadol or Norco for more than 7 days, then I would recommend you specify it in notes that this is for chronic pain. It would save both you and us a phone call. Diagnosis code isn’t necessary.

Walmart policy aligns with CDC. Current research shows that pts who take narcotics longer than 7 days or daily dose exceeding 50 mme are at higher risk of being dependent on it. This is how it works:

1) For acute condition ie. most fractures, cough, tooth-pull etc. we are allowed to do 7 day supply of narcotics with daily limit of 50 mme. So, following that example if it’s acute condition, then we can do 28 tabs of Norco 5 or Tramadol 50 1 qid and not 30. Also can’t do Norco 10 1 q4h #10 tabs but can certainly do 1 q6h #10. Exceptions can be made at pharmacists’ discretion ie. above example of hip fracture but it should be rare. There are two scenarios where this limit doesn’t apply:

1) If pt is taking narcotics for chronic conditions ie. osteoarthritis.

2) Pt had surgery done and was given narcotics during the surgery ie. knee replacement. In this situation, opioid prescription serves as 2nd fill because s/he was given something during procedure and 2nd prescription was necessary for sufficient pain control. So, this script can exceed 7 day supply or 50 mme limit.

If you are a doctor writing Tramadol or Norco for more than 7 days, then I would recommend you specify it in notes that this is for chronic pain. It would save both you and us a phone call. Diagnosis code isn’t necessary.
Interesting, I would anticipate several circumstances where seven days doesn’t seem adequate but the diagnosis also may not qualify as chronic pain in my mind. Did the CDC indicate physical dependence or mental as well, if you happen to know?

Interesting, I would anticipate several circumstances where seven days doesn’t seem adequate but the diagnosis also may not qualify as chronic pain in my mind. Did the CDC indicate physical dependence or mental as well, if you happen to know?

Most acute conditions can be managed with above dosage limits in place. If you have a kidney stone, 28 tabs of Norco should do it. If you have cough, 7 day supply of Tussionex should be fine; you don't need 10 - 12 day supply for that.

As I said, if you had a C-section then you can certainly get higher MME dosage because your pain med rx would be considered 2nd prescription for acute condition and there shouldn't be a problem.

After first initial fill of 7 days for acute pain, MD can send another Rx for longer duration. But first fill will be max 7 days if pt has no history of opioids recently.

So if a patient is discharging from a hospital would you assume they were getting opioids during their stay if prescribed at discharge and count that as a recent history? So it would mostly be driving at ER scripts which are much more likely to be a short term need

We call either doctors office or ask pt directly what they are being treated for. If it was a surgery, then what kind of surgery was it? If it’s C section or Knee replacement then there is no way they weren’t given something during surgery.

Just using common sense.

So if a patient is discharging from a hospital would you assume they were getting opioids during their stay if prescribed at discharge and count that as a recent history? So it would mostly be driving at ER scripts which are much more likely to be a short term need
I would call patient and ask if he/she had opioid while in hospital if PMP showed no recent hx and document it in Rx note.

After skimming this joke complaint...

where are the ones for CVS? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

DOJ is attempting to screw WM via (in part) the existence of a paper trail ("refusals to fill" documentation) required by DEA that other chains don't generate and collect in a systematic fashion. LOL

Can kinda respect the whistleblowing pharmacists here due to these very clownish MHWD

Players both big and small must meet equal justice under the law.

Is the U.S. govt gonna look in the mirror?

How does Walmart "keep" filling suspicious prescriptions "even as company pharmacists protested"? You mean other pharmacists lacking judgment?

I love that they picked Walmart, the pharmacy that is the strictest with controls.

I love that they picked Walmart, the pharmacy that is the strictest with controls.
Definitely true these days but has this always been the case? I remember hearing a lot about Walmart implementing new control policies a couple years ago. Can't remember how strict they were before though.

The other chains may not be out of the woods yet. Or had better lawyers/ways of keeping pharmacists quiet..?

Here's the original memorandum of agreement from 2011 (can't find the full document with appendix)

You could make an argument that Walmart ended up in a no-win situation with the DEA going after them, perhaps to make an example out of Walmart. But if you just consider the raw Rx numbers Walgreens and CVS are clearly more "culpable" but culpability is really a joke.

Last time I checked DEA sets annual production quotas for opioids. Wonder how and why those increased over time in such a disproportionate manner? Supply driving its own demand

Does anyone want to guess what would happen next? Iirc Walmart has also sued DEA.

I am not a fan of evil corporates but I can’t stand government dictatorship either..

Definitely true these days but has this always been the case? I remember hearing a lot about Walmart implementing new control policies a couple years ago. Can't remember how strict they were before though.

Never felt any pressure to fill any controls ever.

Reckon all chains have gotten bit strict with controls. Main reason is increasing use of PDMP. These days we can easily spot doctor/ pharmacy shoppers and thus encouraged to do something about it. This wasn’t the case in past.

I am surprised any chain is even dispensing opioids at this point

My main competitor in town is a Walmart. I can't speak for other locations, but before their newer control policies were implemented a couple years ago, they were definitely very loose with their control fills. When I took over my store, all my red flag control people went over to them because they'd fill anything and fill really early. Now they've swung in the opposite direction to basically refusing all opioid meds that aren't for chronic cancer pain patients...they won't even fill 5 day opioid scripts clearly written for post surgical pain at normal dosage levels.

Part of this overreaction is prob direction from specific MHWD and not overarching corporate directive.

Yes you have to determine if a CS script is for a legitimate medical purpose issued in the usual course of a prescriber's practice and that you as the dispenser, fill this Rx in the usual course of your practice, but you are not required to call for Dx for every single prescription that crosses your screen. Perhaps part of it is that some pharmacists treat every single script with suspicion and wouldn't trust any word that comes out of customer's mouth.

That vast majority of our opioid Rx on a daily basis are dental scripts from the butcher's office or emergency dept scripts. We simply do not call on any of those unless red flags nor have we ever gotten written up for it, because it's not required to call the clinic/hospital/office directly

Depends on location. Rural pharmacies operate like wild-west. If I were to guess, about one-third of our folks who take opioids are also on some sort of benzos.. Soma is slowly declining, thankfully.

Speaking of that, I don’t understand why Soma and Phenergan/ codeine still haven’t been taken off the market..

county_disprate.png

Looks like prescribers are starting to value their license to sling opioid scripts appropriately.

DOJ, the past is the past, sweaty

That one county in Utah (Carbon County) still sticks out though lol