Walmart to limit first fill of opioids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This goes live on Monday. To Walmart pharmacists: What are your perspectives on this?

Explaining it to customers that have legitimate need for pain meds will be a pain! No pun intended

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read the beginning and it said acute pain. Are you guys getting a ton of acute treatment over 7 days anyways? I see 10 occasionally but people shouldn't get much more then that anyways for acute treatment.

I would be thrilled to only have e scribes.

I do like the part that says pain is complex and it should be up to the doctor and patient. Sorry but like everything else, the few that abuse is all we hear about.

I've seen 10 "acute" rx in the last week that are above and beyond the MME > 50 / 7 day limit and my store is not even high volume.

The real problem is not the initial script per se but the excessive and unwarranted prescribing that follows from the inappropriate first fill. You see the problem in these "surgical" practices that write this crap non-stop like oxycodone/APAP 10/325 #360 a month right off the bat but attempt to hide bad prescribing by splitting that regimen into multiple 10-day scripts over 6 months without proper monitoring or treatment goals. Or PCPs who write 900-1500 MME/day of pure garbage for non-cancer pain without any justification because they won't stand up to their crackhead patients. Pharmacists are also culpable for letting that kind of garbage slide so long. I have reported these cases to the licensing boards but I've never gotten any response.

Pain is complex but if there is the specter of the BOP, DEA, and your chain up my ass I have no problem implementing these policies.

Reactions: 1 user