WAMC? 3.37 cGPA & 3.08 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backend2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm at a T20 school so I have no experience with applicants such as yourself. I recommend that you look at @Goro's advice for applicants in need of reinvention.

Right now, you do not have a record that indicates an ability to do well in the natural sciences. You need to bulk that up and then do well enough on the MCAT to show that you can perform well on that type of high stakes test and that you have mastered the material.

Also, do not make a clinical job an excuse for a poor academic performance. You'll be expected to be part of the team on your M3 clerkships and take exams in the topic area related to the clerkship (internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, etc) so keep in mind that you will be expected to multitask as a medical student and your past difficulties in that regard should not be paraded before the adcom.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you go to a school that has prehealth advising? If so, what have they told you?

Yeah, you're not ready yet. Your sGPA is really low, and you haven't taken the MCAT (which in this case is probably wise). I'd have to see a transcript of your biomedical science coursework, but I suspect success in a Special Master's Program will make the process a bit easier. I agree read up on @Goro's advice for reinvention. But you need a lot more hours in non-clinical community service (no fundraising or tutoring/teaching) and a lot more experience in a clinical setting, especially if you already have credentials. It's okay to be employed in a clinical setting before attempting an application, but you have to get your biomedical science core down solid if that is the path you want.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
So your sGPA is very low-too low for MD schools and probably DO schools. Applicants with a low sGPA frequently have a horrible time with the MCAT because their fund of knowledge is so low. And you don’t want a bad score.
You are several years away from applying. You have to build your ECs to a level where they are competitive. You do t need to be a research coordinator. You most likely won’t be apply to schools where research is a high priority. You might try a DIY post bacc of 3-4 semesters of full time upper level science courses. At this point your GPAs won’t move much but you can attempt to convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school by achieving a 3.7+ sGPA in the post bacc. You can build your application with activities and excellent grades at the same time. In fact you should. Med students/doctors are expected to multitask so no excuses that you were doing something else. If you want to try to be a doctor then you have to try. And you have to do exceptionally well on the MCAT. Do t take it until you are fully ready and scoring at or above your target score on a series of FL practice tests. And finally, don’t worry about a school list. When you are ready lots of people will help with that. Oh a go read @Goro’s Guide for Reinvention.

Reactions: 1 users