WAMC: 3.46 CGPA/3.28 SGPA, 521 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NightmareEra

Reaction score
  1. GPA's: 3.46 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA (upward trend with slight dip sophomore year but rising again)
  2. MCAT: 521 MCAT (130/130/132/129)
  3. State: Oregon (American but has Canadian citizenship)
  4. Race: African-American
  5. School type: regular state school
  6. Clinical experience: 300+ hrs and counting from scribe job, 50 hrs nonvolunteering clinical
  7. Research experience: None :(
  8. Shadowing: ~65 hrs in pediatrics, rheumatology, derm
  9. Non-clinical: 400+ over the last four years
Side note:
- I've been low SES in a two person household my whole life but my mother who I live with has experienced a pay raise that lifts us out of that low SES income range, however this raise came very recently. So do I disclose being disadvantaged for basically my whole life other than 2022, or should I omit this?

- I have strong ties to Minnesota and California

Thanks y'all.

I'm looking for a good school list for 2023

Members don't see this ad.

I've been low SES in a two person household my whole life but my mother who I live with has experienced a pay raise that lifts us out of that low SES income range, however this raise came very recently. So do I disclose being disadvantaged for basically my whole life other than 2022, or should I omit this?
In any opportunity you get in the application process to self-identify as disadvantaged, you should. Don't apologize for finally getting a raise recently.

What have you done for 400 hours of non-clinical community service?

Are you a dual citizen?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oregon
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Yale
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Duke
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
St. Louis
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Kaiser
USC Keck
UCSF

Reactions: 1 users
In any opportunity you get in the application process to self-identify as disadvantaged, you should. Don't apologize for finally getting a raise recently.

Are you a dual citizen?
I will identify as disadvantaged in that case.

My 400 hrs were at a nonprofit housing org for 5 years and a soup kitchen for the last year.

I am a dual citizen, was born and spent the first 5 years of my life in Alberta, Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Are you a dual citizen?
Seconding this--I'm in a very similar situation as you; I've spent my entire life in the FAP eligibility range (at some points WELL below the cutoff) but ever since my stepdad started working there's been a second source of income and several months ago my mom got a raise. The disadvantaged section is for contextualizing your upbringing/life as a whole, not necessarily your current state.

Third'ing Holland. If you experienced economic hardship for most of your life and only left those circumstances last year, you have a claim to being disadvantaged. Adcoms won't think you're gaming the system when you tell them the truth.

Good luck.