MD WAMC? 3.5 uGPA, 3.25 sGPA, 3.95 SMP, 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a-robit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 10 Chemical Engineering undergrad ('16), ORM, NY resident, first gen immigrant/college student and no immediate family members in medicine. MCAT (8/3/18) breakdown was 130/129/132/128, finished SMP this year with a 3.95.

Research: 1000 hours wet lab research in undergrad with 1 second author publication, 2000 hours on a clinical trial in first year post grad with 1 second author publication
Nonclinical volunteering: 330 hours
Clinical volunteering: 200 hours
Shadowing: 150 hours
Currently working as a medical assistant in a cardiologist's office.

School list:
  • NYMC
  • George Washington
  • Stony Brook
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Rush
  • Georgetown (Interviewed, waitlisted)
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Emory
  • Penn State
  • Rochester (Interviewed, waitlisted)
  • Albany
  • Boston University
  • University at Buffalo
  • Temple
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Quinnipiac
  • Hofstra
  • Weill-Cornell
  • Virginia Tech
  • Dartmouth
  • Sinai
  • NYU
  • Columbia
  • Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to advise! You have a low GPA, but a very hard major. A 519 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at, but is the disparity because your major was hard? Or you were a lazy student????

I agree with Faha, but I think that for insurance, you add some DO schools to the list

It's hard to advise! You have a low GPA, but a very hard major. A 519 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at, but is the disparity because your major was hard? Or you were a lazy student????

I agree with Faha, but I think that for insurance, you add some DO schools to the list

What if you were an unfocused, disorganized student with too much other stuff on their plate?

More or less hard major, and didn't really learn to study. All prereqs were front loaded into the first two years. Got a C taking orgo 1 in the summer between freshman and sophomore year and then an A on orgo 2, had a rough sophomore year, and then spent the rest of college trying to make up for it. I was also all over the place trying to do research and extracurriculars without getting my studies in order. Did a SMP after my first cycle since my grades were a pretty big obstacle.

Today scores came out for 08/18/2018 test. got a 512 with 128/126/130/128. Has a 3.87 gpa with sgpa at 3.90. Has 3 years of wet lab experiance. about 200 hours of volunteering and part of the Extra curricular activities club. My daughter kind of not satisfied with the score thinking of writing again. How the medical schools look at mcat scores. Best one or the latest one. Is there a risk to write it again. If we get less than what we got now.

Top 10 Chemical Engineering undergrad ('16), ORM, NY resident, first gen immigrant/college student and no immediate family members in medicine. MCAT (8/3/18) breakdown was 130/129/132/128, finished SMP this year with a 3.95.

• NYMC
  • George Washington
  • Stony Brook
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Rush
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Albany
  • Boston University
  • University at Buffalo
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Quinnipiac
  • Hofstra
  • Dartmouth
  • NYU
  • Columbia
My apologies! I didn't see the stellar SMP GPA! That changes everything!!!
The schools listed above should show you some love. But add some DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Today scores came out for 08/18/2018 test. got a 512 with 128/126/130/128. Has a 3.87 gpa with sgpa at 3.90. Has 3 years of wet lab experiance. about 200 hours of volunteering and part of the Extra curricular activities club. My daughter kind of not satisfied with the score thinking of writing again. How the medical schools look at mcat scores. Best one or the latest one. Is there a risk to write it again. If we get less than what we got now.
Your daughter is a fool to retake. AAMC suggest that scores be averaged, and most people go down, stay the same, or only go up a point or two.

Reactions: 1 user
Your daughter is a fool to retake. AAMC suggest that scores be averaged, and most people go down, stay the same, or only go up a point or two.

Agreed. IF she's had a couple back-to-back 517+ AAMC practice tests under conditions approximating Test Day, then it might be worth it. Otherwise, it's not. I also gather that if she's knocking down 518s on practice tests, she wouldn't be hesitant about a retake.

She did not get into 517+ at any point of time during the practice tests. She was in the range of 509-510. Her weakness has been critical reasoning where she got between 124-126. In the real she got 128/126/130/128.
Another question, What would be sure shot schools where you will get into with 512 + 3.9gpa + 3 years wet lab experiance + ECs + Good recommendations from professors. I am sure her research lab professor who knows her well should give a great recommendation letter.

Question is is there a possibiility of missing out by not getting into any of the medical schools.

What are the best ones where there is bigger chance of getting into.

Thanks

She did not get into 517+ at any point of time during the practice tests. She was in the range of 509-510. Her weakness has been critical reasoning where she got between 124-126. In the real she got 128/126/130/128.
Another question, What would be sure shot schools where you will get into with 512 + 3.9gpa + 3 years wet lab experiance + ECs + Good recommendations from professors. I am sure her research lab professor who knows her well should give a great recommendation letter.

Question is is there a possibiility of missing out by not getting into any of the medical schools.

What are the best ones where there is bigger chance of getting into.

Thanks

Then retaking would definitely be a bad idea. Generally, people's MCAT scores are generally +/- 2 of their AAMC full length practice average, so she has already beat her average. I'm still applying, but from my experience and experience of my friends applying, there are no sure shots. Every school is a target or reach, but 3.9 and 512 seems like a relatively decent combo?

As we have run out of time for 2019-20 cycle, will need to wait until 2019 fall to apply. Wait is killing us.

Our Current resident state is COLORADO. Is there a preference by the medical schools to get local candidates. or is it just by merit.

If we start the application, can we get it done by October 1st week for MD.
starts 512(128/126/130/128) and 3.87 gpa

If we start the application, can we get it done by October 1st week for MD.
starts 512(128/126/130/128) and 3.87 gpa

If your daughter hasn't submitted her primary, it's way too late. Verification takes a month, and then there's secondaries. By the time everything is turned around, it'll probably be past the actual deadline for schools .

Is your daughter the OP in this thread?

Reactions: 2 users
Is your daughter the OP in this thread?
I get where you are comming from. Probably I hijacked a thread which was opened for some other purpose. I am fine with opening a new thread but thought this discusssion was relevent to our question posted our issue in here.

I get where you are comming from. Probably I hijacked a thread which was opened for some other purpose. I am fine with opening a new thread but thought this discusssion was relevent to our question posted our issue in here.
It is customary to focus entirely on the concerns of the original poster (OP).
Otherwise no one knows whose concerns are being addressed, yours or OP's.
We would be delighted to respond to your daughter in her own thread (should she want to post one)!

Reactions: 2 users