WAMC 3.75, 509, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandulce19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.75 & sGPA: 3.6 (upward trend)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 509 (technical difficulties during exam so considering retake?)
  3. Ethnicity and/or race: URM
  4. Undergraduate institution: Top 20
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~280hrs
  6. Research experience and productivity: ~600hrs
  7. Shadowing experience: 25hrs (planning to increase in gap year)
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: ~400hrs (mainly working with underserved groups)
  9. Other extracurricular activities: Competitive public health summer program, leadership positions in 2 service clubs, planning to take a gap year
  10. Relevant honors or awards: Competitive scholarship award
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important: First Gen, low-income / FAP recipient
I’m considering retaking the MCAT since I’m sitting at <25th percentile for top schools, and I’m interested in applying to top schools that are less stat-oriented. Coming from underserved backgrounds and working with these groups in college, I’m specifically interested in schools with programs working with underserved, such as the PRIME program at UCSF. Any suggestions for schools with similar programs would be appreciated.

Also is there anything else I should focus on before the next application cycle begins?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you looking for potential schools to apply to next year with your current stats? You certainly should apply to all your South Carolina state public schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll definitely apply to those, but I'm also looking for any advice regarding retaking the MCAT, especially to be competitive for top OOS schools. Also, any recommendations for which schools I should apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be competitive for top OOS schools, retake the MCAT as long as you are confident you can jump to 514+. If you just want to get into a medical school I would say your chances are good if you apply strategically.

With your current MCAT and GPA you could receive interviews at these OOS schools:
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia