MD WAMC (3.9, 516, VA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumpingyoshi

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking to finalize my school list for this cycle and wanted some advice on what I have so far. My main question is if I am applying broadly enough, and if there are any “throwaway” schools on my list that wouldn’t be worth applying to for me. I was also concerned on if I have too many low yield schools (5/22 schools). Thanks in advance!

State/Country of Residence: VA
Ties to other States/Regions: none
URM? (Y/N): no
Year in School: rising senior
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): chemistry
Cumulative GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 3.96
MCAT Score(s): 516
Research Experience: ~700 hours in biochemistry lab. ~400 hours at summer REU.
Publications/Abstracts/Posters: 2 posters from biochem lab and 1 poster from REU experience. all posters are first author.
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): ~60 hours at free health clinic, ~200 hours generic hospital volunteering (all halted due to covid).
Physician Shadowing: 200 in-person hours (split between cardiology, pulmonary, and internal medicine). 8 hours virtual shadowing.
Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~75 hours mentoring underserved middle schoolers, ~75 hours at animal shelter, ~150 hours with crisis text hotline, ~40 hours scheduling vaccine appts.
Other Extracurricular Activities: just hobbies and a pre-health frat
Other Employment History: ~275 hours as a paid chemistry TA, ~200 hours running an org. will be doing an industry research internship this summer (~400 hours)
Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): no
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): n/a
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): yes (if geriatrics counts)
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): no

School List:
VCU, UVA, EVMS, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Mt Sinai, Maryland, Einstein, Hofstra, Ohio State, Tufts, Arizona Phoenix, Cincinnati, USC, Jefferson, Kaiser, Rochester, Boston, Toledo, Vermont, Wake Forest, Illinois

Members don't see this ad.

Toledo and Arizona admit few non residents with no connection to the state or region. You could add any of these schools:
West Virginia
Duke
Miami
USF Morsani
Case Western
Western Michigan
Tulane
St. Louis
George Washington
Georgetown

Toledo and Arizona admit few non residents with no connection to the state or region. You could add any of these schools:
West Virginia
Duke
Miami
USF Morsani
Case Western
Western Michigan
Tulane
St. Louis
George Washington
Georgetown
thank you so much for the advice, have a great day :)