WAMC: 3.93/520 current cycle w/only 1 II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your description of your community service is accurate, it doesn't really say you have service orientation. Minimum expectation of hours is usually 100-150 hours, and you seem to be below that. You have a ton of leadership, but not much outside of campus (especially since graduating???).

An MPH is like the mint leaf you put on a piece of cake with tweezers to try to impress people without adding (relevant) substance (3.9+/520/clinical hours...). Where's your community service behind this decision to apply to MPH?
 
If your description of your community service is accurate, it doesn't really say you have service orientation. Minimum expectation of hours is usually 100-150 hours, and you seem to be below that. You have a ton of leadership, but not much outside of campus (especially since graduating???).

An MPH is like the mint leaf you put on a piece of cake with tweezers to try to impress people without adding (relevant) substance (3.9+/520/clinical hours...). Where's your community service behind this decision to apply to MPH?
On my AMCAS application I had a total of 193 volunteer hours split up among different things: hospital volunteer work- 20, COVID-19 helpline- 52, vaccination clinic- 25, medical intern volunteer- 61, cat rescue- 35. The problem was that the first 3 of these volunteer jobs were temporary (COVID shut the hospital volunteering down permanently, vaccination clinic was open only for 2 months, etc.). I’m interested in an MPH degree so that I can learn about more about health policy (I took multiple related classes in undergrad) and get involved with healthcare accessibility in the future. The research project I did and presented at a conference was also heavily related to health policy. I wish I could have been more involved with volunteer work, but between my jobs to help pay for my college, I had little free time.

I already submitted my app before my gap year really started (I finished my last class in August) so anything I do now won’t be seen on my application unless I send an update or get an II. I work 48 hours most weeks so it’s hard to get involved with much outside of work, and I’ve already asked every doctor in the ED at my hospital if they have any research projects I could get involved with to no avail.

If you add everything up on my amcas app, I had 193 volunteer hours (around half clinical), 74 shadowing hours, 510 paid clinical work, 1,495 non-clinical work and TAship, and 1410 EC/leadership. Since applying I have an additional ~450-500 hours clinical work as an ED Tech and EMT, and around 80 volunteer hours for the cat rescue and medical intern w/ the community clinic
 
Status
Not open for further replies.