WAMC 3.98 GPA / 515 MCAT

Started by mdwant2be
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm reading at least 12 things to put on your Activities list from this post alone. Just apply, you have great stats and more than adequate hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As you make your list, do not include any school you'd hesitate to attend if it were your only offer. If that means your list is 23 schools, so be it. Don't apply to a specific number of schools just because that feels like a safe number.

Your shadowing in family medicine seems high (150 hours). Don't count days you were there to work as stayed on to watch. Don't count hours you shadowed a parent or sibling. Reporting 50 hours will seem like enough, more than that makes people why you continued to stand around rather than doing something.
 
I suggest:

UVA
EVMS
VCU
VTech
Georgetown
George Washington
Saint Louis
Creighton
Dartmouth
Miami
Emory
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Vermont
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Colorado
Tulane
Boston
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Duke
 
As you make your list, do not include any school you'd hesitate to attend if it were your only offer. If that means your list is 23 schools, so be it. Don't apply to a specific number of schools just because that feels like a safe number.

Your shadowing in family medicine seems high (150 hours). Don't count days you were there to work as stayed on to watch. Don't count hours you shadowed a parent or sibling. Reporting 50 hours will seem like enough, more than that makes people why you continued to stand around rather than doing something.
I started shadowing this family practice doctor for a couple months, then started volunteering there helping him with the patients, minimal scribing, then was hired by him a few months ago so the 150 hours was for shadowing and volunteering. Yes, I will only apply to schools that I would 100% attend. Thank you
 
Thank you so much for the list. I don't think I want to move to Vermont or Colorado; can I replace it with University of MD and University of MI (sibling doing orthodontic residency and extended families there) or USF-Morsani?
You can try USF and Michigan in place of those 2. UMD favors in-state students and I do not usually recommend students apply there if aren't from there. If you are interested in primary care, you could consider NYU LI too as they have free tuition.
 
You can try USF and Michigan in place of those 2. UMD favors in-state students and I do not usually recommend students apply there if aren't from there. If you are interested in primary care, you could consider NYU LI too as they have free tuition.
Who wouldn't love free tuition but do you think I have a chance with my average stat?
 
As you make your list, do not include any school you'd hesitate to attend if it were your only offer. If that means your list is 23 schools, so be it. Don't apply to a specific number of schools just because that feels like a safe number.

Your shadowing in family medicine seems high (150 hours). Don't count days you were there to work as stayed on to watch. Don't count hours you shadowed a parent or sibling. Reporting 50 hours will seem like enough, more than that makes people why you continued to stand around rather than doing something.
Sorry to hijack but this is 150 hours shadowing one doctor/specialty being too high? I have ~140 hours spread over 5 different experiences. Is that different or too much?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hijack but this is 150 hours shadowing one doctor/specialty being too high? I have ~140 hours spread over 5 different experiences. Is that different or too much?
Is this the same practice where you work as an medical assistant? For me that explains why you have 150 hours of shadowing a family practice (along with your paid employment).
 
Sorry to hijack but this is 150 hours shadowing one doctor/specialty being too high? I have ~140 hours spread over 5 different experiences. Is that different or too much?
It does seem heavy. Typically, 8-10 hours each for 5 specialties should give you a feel for it. But you've got what you've got. You aren't obligated to list everything, so that's an option, too.
 
It does seem heavy. Typically, 8-10 hours each for 5 specialties should give you a feel for it. But you've got what you've got. You aren't obligated to list everything, so that's an option, too.
Oh I did not realize that. I volunteer longer cuz I like it and to make sure that I really know what I'm getting myself into since I have no doctors in my family. I did 50 hours shadowing and 100 hours volunteering so I lumped that together. Now, I realize I can't do that so would it be best to omit the 100 hours of volunteering or put that hours under the volunteering section?

Also, I have only shadowed 2 specialties-family practice and orthopedic. I plan to shadow a pediatrician soon but do you think I should shadow 5 different specialties?
 
Oh I did not realize that. I volunteer longer cuz I like it and to make sure that I really know what I'm getting myself into since I have no doctors in my family. I did 50 hours shadowing and 100 hours volunteering so I lumped that together. Now, I realize I can't do that so would it be best to omit the 100 hours of volunteering or put that hours under the volunteering section?

Also, I have only shadowed 2 specialties-family practice and orthopedic. I plan to shadow a pediatrician soon but do you think I should shadow 5 different specialties?

Put the shadowing hours under the tag "shadowing" in the Activities & Work section and put the volunteering hours under the tag "volunteer, clinical". The tags help the readers make a quick scan of your application and find the information they are looking for.

You don't need 5 different specialties. @Rugged Shark had 5 and I was responding to them. One primary care (family practice, etc) and one surgical or hospitalist (orthopedics, etc) is fine.
 
Put the shadowing hours under the tag "shadowing" in the Activities & Work section and put the volunteering hours under the tag "volunteer, clinical". The tags help the readers make a quick scan of your application and find the information they are looking for.

You don't need 5 different specialties. @Rugged Shark had 5 and I was responding to them. One primary care (family practice, etc) and one surgical or hospitalist (orthopedics, etc) is fine.
Ok great! Thank you so much.
 
@LizzyM @Goro @chilly_md @Mr.Smile12 @Faha @wysdoc Does anyone know if UNC or UofMI med schools have legacy? According to online search, they consider parents but only look favorably on siblings in their holistic approach?

I have a sibling who is at UNC dental school (oos but has really high stat-DAT in the 99% and 3.98 gpa) and will attend UofMI orthodontic program this fall. Although different field and my stat are lower, I'm wondering if I should apply to these 2 med schools or will it be a donation? I would like to remove Tulane, Colorado and Vermont from above list and replace with these 2 schools or is that not wise since I'm adding "reach" schools and removing "target" schools, hurting my chance of getting into a med school? TIA
As I mentioned, you could try Michigan and replace Vermont or Tulane. I would not recommend UNC as they take very few OOS students and your sibling will have graduated from a separate program by the time you matriculate.
 
Yes, I added MI to my list but was wondering about UNC as well. What do you think of UCF, FAU, Penn State to replace some of schools in previous list (mainly location)? Also, am I competitive for Case Western? Thank you for your time.
 
You must have read Seeking Leverage in “Strong Ties” - SDN . Medical schools that are "more selective" may be less willing to extend family "legacy" if siblings are not enrolled as a bona fide student. It really depends. You might have a little better argument if you were applying to dental school instead of medical if your sibling were going into ortho. But I don't know if this is what UMDS would do.

OP: have you actually done a WARS or LizzyM score? You are starting to list schools that are more reaches and donations.
 
Yes, I added MI to my list but was wondering about UNC as well. What do you think of UCF, FAU, Penn State to replace some of schools in previous list (mainly location)? Also, am I competitive for Case Western? Thank you for your time.
You could try UCF, Penn State and Case. FAU is a small class and accepts mostly FL residents. If you like the Florida area, Miami and USF are your best chances of getting in there.
 
You must have read Seeking Leverage in “Strong Ties” - SDN . Medical schools that are "more selective" may be less willing to extend family "legacy" if siblings are not enrolled as a bona fide student. It really depends. You might have a little better argument if you were applying to dental school instead of medical if your sibling were going into ortho. But I don't know if this is what UMDS would do.

OP: have you actually done a WARS or LizzyM score? You are starting to list schools that are more reaches and donations.
No, I haven’t read it. A friend told me about it so thought to ask. My Lizzy score is 73.5 and WARS is 81 so just slightly above average. I’m trying to swap out same level schools for location that I would like to live. WARS recommends 4 reach schools and I have UVA, Duke, Emory and MI. So no Case Western nor UNC. Thanks