WAMC 511/3.78 undergrad/4.0 MA

Started by nyrexa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nyrexa

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I have become increasingly hopeless about this cycle. While I am grateful to have received an A from my top DO school, and plan on attending, I can't help but feel disappointed and regretful. My stats are pretty average I would say, 511 MCAT, 3.78 undergrad, 4.0 MA Bioethics. (NY resident, parents immigrants, English was my third language, but I was born and raised here)
Here are some other stats:
- 112 hours shadowing
- 400 hours hospice volunteering, increasing by 250 this gap year (I really like it there)
- 1250 research hours, no pubs. Hoping to submit something soon, but my mentor had a lot of family/immigration emergencies and we got set back
- 500 hours volunteer tutoring/coaching sports underserved children (helped get one of my student into their dream college!!!) it's through a nonprofit one of my olympian friends founded. I helped organize competitions, coach, tutor, etc.
- 450 hours at family business
- 360 hours emergency room volunteering
- Division I Athlete, All-American honors (the sport is pretty niche)
- Member of national team in my sport, 2x national champion, represented country at world and european championships (I have dual citizenship)
- I didn't apply to many schools, only 23 including 2 DO schools. The MCAT range for my schools was 510-514, so I didn't think I was shooting for the stars or anything. Granted I did apply to many low-yield schools like Gtown, GW, the schools in Philly.
- I took two gap years, one for my MA in Bioethics
- This second one I started coaching at university, have been coaching at schools in underserved areas, continued volunteering, am completing my MA in a month. I sent an update letter about this stuff, but I don't think it's anything substantial. I haven't been able to get a job in healthcare or even volunteering or scribe.

Is there anything else I can do? I appreciate any responses, thank you so much!
 
You can feel disappointed and regretful that you have an acceptance to medical school. You have earned a tremendous opportunity. Take advantage of it rather than bemoaning your fate.
 
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Being an Olympian or all-American does not compensate for a relatively lower MCAT or GPA... which aren't that low, but you didn't share your list, and I'm assuming you were shooting for brand-name schools.

You know how to work hard. Continue grinding wherever you go to medical school or residency. You have a chance that few others have. One school is willing to give you a shot; don't take it for granted or grumble you could have gone to some place better.

Be Shaddeur.