WAMC/Advice for School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaotic Harmony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CA resident and future re-applicant

Stats when I first applied (2014):
3.5 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA (top public university)
28 MCAT (10 P, 9 v, 9 B)

I made a mistake and applied mostly to MD schools and only a few DO schools. Did not get any interview invites. Will definitely plan to apply mostly to DO schools this time around and will apply broadly.

Current stats:
3.5 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA
508 MCAT (127/124/128/129)

My biggest concern is that 124 in CARS/verbal. That section was always a weak spot for me, but I swear it was the "easiest section"/my best section on the real exam so I was really surprised at how poorly I did. Will this look bad since I got a 9 on the old MCAT? I really don't want to take the MCAT a third time because I would risk my science scores going down and I doubt I could improve my total score by a significant amount. Would adcoms be forgiving of this low CARS score?

Here are my EC "highlights":

2+ years of clinical research experience (currently a clinical research coordinator at a large university)*
2 publications*- will have a strong LOR from the PI
700+ hours as ER Scribe (strong LOR from physician)
500+ hrs of clinical volunteer work (strong LOR from physician)
plenty of leadership experience
shadowed a DO Hospitalist for multiple shifts- received a LOR
have plenty of other strong LORs from science professors, non-science professors, and mentors (some are physicians)

So my questions are:
Should I re-take the MCAT?
How will DO schools view research experience?
How many schools should I apply to?
Should I even consider applying to a few MD schools? (I want to do research, but my main focus is becoming a clinician)
What are my chances as a re-applicant?
General advice?

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

*indicates experiences that I didn't have the first time I applied

If you apply broadly in June to at least 15 DO schools and submit your secondaries by July you should receive several interviews. For MD concentrate on your state schools and these:
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (Roseman, Henricopolis, Seton Hall).
You do not need to retake the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
If you apply broadly in June to at least 15 DO schools and submit your secondaries by July you should receive several interviews. For MD concentrate on your state schools and these:
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (Roseman, Henricopolis, Seton Hall).
You do not need to retake the MCAT

Thanks for the advice, @Faha .. Really appreciate it!