MD & DO WAMC and School List Help; Non-Trad Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captainduckworth

OMS-II
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.54 cGPA 3.29 sGPA (took chemistry and calculus first year of undergrad but didn't do well due to uncertainty of major and poor judgement on my part; 3.85 post-bacc GPA with 41 hours including all prereqs + genetics and biochemistry)

2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 501, 501, 511 (128,124,130,129 - most recent as of 8/2018)

3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Texas
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Middle Eastern (White)
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    - Volunteer: 60+ hours at rehabilitation hospital working with patients and therapists.
    - Employment: 3 years at a major hospital as a rehab/wound care tech working with patients (bedside) in the ICUs, inpatient floors (ortho, stroke, etc...), and in-house skilled nursing facility.

6. Research experience and productivity:
    - 6 months wet lab and poster presentation for genetics department (prevalence of and public's opinion on GMOs in foods)
    - Currently working as a research data coordinator at a cancer hospital (4 months, plan to stay unless I get accepted, in which case it will be a little over a year total)

7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: None formally, but worked alongside many surgical residents/attendings during wound care (~2 years) and currently working with an MD/PhD collecting data for protocol abstracts.

8. Non-clinical volunteering: 60+ hours working with an organization that distributes food to underserved families (ongoing); If I can stay in Texas, I plan on continuing since it's only once a month.

9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Member of the Muslim Student Association during undergrad. Volunteering and working during gap years. Other than that, I exercise regularly (5-6 a week) and am very big on health and longevity - probably not worth noting.

10. Relevant honors or awards: Excellence in Arab Studies award during my undergrad.

11. Immediate family members in medicine? No

12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I'm a reapplicant. I applied during the 2017-2018 cycle only through TMDSAS. After no luck, I took a year to continue working, retake my MCAT, and find a job in research that interested me (cancer). I'm afraid my three MCAT attempts won't be seen favorably to med schools - there are no excuses, I failed to acknowledge that I wasn't ready due to my insistence on making the application deadline.
I understand my stats aren't stellar. I am open to applying DO and will be doing so for at least the Texas schools. What would be my options for OOS DO? Are Texas applicants viewed differently due to the 90% acceptance rate? If that's the case, should I even bother applying OOS MD?

Thank you for taking the time to read and help out; I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can apply to any OOS DO schools and your Texas residency will not matter. Choose several schools that appeal to you. You could try some of the newer MD schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Seton Hall and NOVA MD. Con't forget the new Texas school TCU-UNTHSC.

You can apply to any OOS DO schools and your Texas residency will not matter. Choose several schools that appeal to you. You could try some of the newer MD schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Seton Hall and NOVA MD. Con't forget the new Texas school TCU-UNTHSC.

Faha, thank you for your feedback! So I’ve compiled a school list based on your feedback and some research:

All Texas medical schools (12 total, 1 DO)
UIWSOM (DO in Texas)
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Wayne State
Michigan State
(2-4 OOS DO Schools once I finish my spreadsheet)

Would appreciate some feedback on this list. I read that Wayne State and Michigan State will look at the post-bac GPA if I’ve taken a certain number of credit hours. I also noticed their out of state acceptance % was reasonable. Should I keep these two schools on the list? Also, despite the fact that I live near Baylor and its heavy in-state acceptance rate, I’ve left it off the list as I fall nowhere within their stats; it would probably just be a donation.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
With your connection to Michigan also include Central Michigan. Wayne State and Michigan State are also good choices for the same reason. Apply to at least 4 OOS DO schools.

With your connection to Michigan also include Central Michigan. Wayne State and Michigan State are also good choices for the same reason. Apply to at least 4 OOS DO schools.

I'm a Texas resident with no connection to Michigan, unfortunately. Should I not include those Michigan schools in that case? Here's my school list for the 2019-2020 cycle; please let me know what you think and thanks again,

MD:
All Texas MD (including new UH and TCU schools)
Baylor COM (Very far reach; might not apply)
Wayne State
Michigan State
Temple
Drexel
West Virginia University
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont

DO:
UNT-TCU COM
Michigan State COM
UIWSOM
KCU
OSU

If you have no connection to Michigan there is no point in applying to Michigan State, Wayne State or Michigan State COM. Most OOS MD schools do not interview applicants from Texas with your stats since they assume you will attend a Texas MD school if accepted to one. Other than the new MD schools that I listed such as Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Seton Hall and NOVA MD your chances are very low for an interview at OOS MD schools. Add more OOS DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user