WAMC at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaggar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, what are my chances at DO schools? (I would apply in June 2021)

Canadian resident and citizen

cGPA: 3.232 (no upward or downward trend at all over the years)
MCAT: first - 510, second one was 523 - 131/130/130/132 with CARS being 130

36 hours volunteering at blood donation centre, to be about 60 by March 2021
Working for about 4 months as a Chemistry Research Assistant
Working casual at a hospital in Pre/post-analytics (mostly just checking specimens into the data system)

No LOR from a physician (neither MD nor DO), 3 LOR from university professors and one from employer from Chemistry Research.

As such, I would be applying to the schools which don't need a physician LOR, which I believe are:
LECOM
MSU-COM
OU-HCOM
RowanSOM
TCOM
UNECOM
Please let me know if you know of any others.

Please let me know if you would like any more information of me

And for the record, doing a Master's is difficult as my undergraduate major did not prepare me well enough, and Post-bacc's are not an option for me. I have already applied to some MD schools this year (ex. SUNY UPSTATE and GEORGETOWN to name a couple) and was rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

OU-HCOM, RowanSOM and TCOM accept few non residents with no connection to the state. You need to obtain a physician LOR before you apply to DO schools otherwise your school list will be too small. You could then add these DO schools:
AZCOM
LMU-DCOM
MU-COM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
WCU-COM

What have you done since you applied to significantly improve your application? If your undergrad didn’t prepare you well enough for a Masters, how on earth will you succeed in med school. And why aren’t post baccs an option? And your ECs are very weak. There is nothing in your shared narrative that says you are passionate about being a doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To those mentioning that some of the schools do not favor out-of-state applicants at all, I do appreciate the comment. I had not considered this and will review my list of possible schools.

What have you done since you applied to significantly improve your application? If your undergrad didn’t prepare you well enough for a Masters, how on earth will you succeed in med school. And why aren’t post baccs an option? And your ECs are very weak. There is nothing in your shared narrative that says you are passionate about being a doctor.
When you ask what I have done to improve, you obviously imply that there are many things I could do, which I agree with.

My saying that my undergrad didn't prepare me well enough was a misconstrued statement, which is my fault. For explanation, my major was somewhat of a general sciences, where I studied various subject, though many were in biological sciences and chemistry, fewer in physics and math, and even fewer in others (philosophy and environmental sciences, to name two).

As such, I feel that I lack much of the lab skills and background knowledge to be considered specialized in one field and pursue original research in any field, which is what most Master's depend on. I can simply read extensively on a topic of interest, though this, and finding a masters program which views my credentials favorably, will still be difficult.
The reason I say post-baccs aren't an option is because there are not significant DIY post-baccs in Canada. There are Masters, though I spoke about them above, and I would not be interested in moving to the US only for a post-bacc as I view it as a heavy investment for a similar chance at MED school.

I do understand that my ECs are weak, and my excuse is that I only recently came to understand the competetiveness of MED school. I do understand that isn't a good excuse though, which is why I am continuing now with volunteering and trying to gain clinical or research-related work experience.

When you ask what I have done to improve, you obviously imply that there are many things I could do, which I agree with.

My saying that my undergrad didn't prepare me well enough was a misconstrued statement, which is my fault. For explanation, my major was somewhat of a general sciences, where I studied various subject, though many were in biological sciences and chemistry, fewer in physics and math, and even fewer in others (philosophy and environmental sciences, to name two).

As such, I feel that I lack much of the lab skills and background knowledge to be considered specialized in one field and pursue original research in any field, which is what most Master's depend on. I can simply read extensively on a topic of interest, though this, and finding a masters program which views my credentials favorably, will still be difficult.
The reason I say post-baccs aren't an option is because there are not significant DIY post-baccs in Canada. There are Masters, though I spoke about them above, and I would not be interested in moving to the US only for a post-bacc as I view it as a heavy investment for a similar chance at MED school.

I do understand that my ECs are weak, and my excuse is that I only recently came to understand the competetiveness of MED school. I do understand that isn't a good excuse though, which is why I am continuing now with volunteering and trying to gain clinical or research-related work experience.
Thanks for your explanations. The reason I asked what you have done to significantly improve your application for a second cycle is because ADCOMS will expect significant improvement in your application when you reapply. Good luck as you move forward.

Reactions: 1 user