WAMC at State Schools and other schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inkblot19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to SDN and was wondering if I could get some feedback. So I am in my fourth year of college, and am staying an extra year to raise my GPA and take some more upper level science courses.

Here are my stats/ECs/etc.
Major: B.A. Biological Sciences
Certificate Program: Russian Studies
GPA: 3.78 (after this semester - should be around a 3.8 ish) - I had a rough start getting 3.1 - 3.5 each semester but for the past 3 semesters I have gotten straight As. Very good upward trend.
DFW: Only one W in upper level chemistry class. No D's, No F's
sGPA: 3.6 should end up being 3.7 after this semester) - A in Biochemistry (once I started being serious)
MCAT: not sure when I should take this if I am planning on attending medical school in Fall 2021

Volunteering:
220 hrs at a children's developmental clinic at my state school.
50 hrs at free medical clinic

Leadership:
SI PASS Leader - General Chemistry
Student Manager at my university in Facilities Operations
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Upper Level Bio Lab Class

Artistic/Athletic/creative Achievement:
Russian Chorus - 2 years - 2 performances as soprano

Creative achievement, non-juried
Co-author on six bacteriophage genome NCBI entries (Accessions available on CV)

Poster presentation on isolation of novel *Streptomyces* bacteriophage in composted soil

Other ECs
Member of Biology Council of Majors

Because I will have to take a gap year; I plan on doing a post-bacc certificate - is this okay?

What else should I do in my gap year?
Should I apply ED for my state school?
I also am wanting to apply to DO schools so I would love any feedback for that as well.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend applying early decision with your GPA. You will be competitive for some DO schools as long as your MCAT is at least 500. For MD 507 or higher and you could receive interviews. Clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact in the coming year would help your chances.

I do not recommend applying early decision with your GPA. You will be competitive for some DO schools as long as your MCAT is at least 500. For MD 507 or higher and you could receive interviews. Clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact in the coming year would help your chances.

I will also soon be shadowing a doctor in infection disease. I hope to do so for at least an entire semester.

Volunteering at a hospital is something I plan to do in the Fall after I take the mcat. I’m not so sure about research though.

If I do not apply ED for Maryland. How high should my MCAT be to have a chance? I really want to stay in Maryland because my grandma lives with me and I cannot leave her alone.

Thanks again!

U Maryland interviews 1/3 of Maryland resident applicants. If you score 510 or higher you have a high chance for an interview.

Reactions: 1 user