WAMC; average DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gopack87

Reaction score
I need some advice as I took my DAT and scored alot lower than my practice exams. I'm extremely disappointed and can’t even think about a retake right now because I'm so burnt out.I spent my entire summer doing research all day and then coming home and immediately having to study for this god awful exam which i ended up bombing anyways. Wondering if I should suck it up and retake or just switch out the schools on my list. I am applying next cycle and am currently freaking out.

GPA: 3.89
DAT:
AA 21
TS 21
PAT 17
QR 19
RC 23
BIO 20
GC 23
OC 20

Majors:
BS Genetics
BS Nutrition Sciences
Minor: Biotechnology

NC Resident
Minority? No; Asian Female
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing: 200 hours (oral medicine and general dentist (1))
Volunteering: ~300 (International service trip, Cancer Research non-profit, volunteer as an assistant at a local non profit), volunteering at UNC Adams, volunteered at UNC hospitals
Leadership:Vice President of an intercollegiate cancer research non profit, I’ve also been a TA for two years
Employment: I was employed by my university to conduct biotech research under the supervision of a mentor, dental assistant , peer tutor at my university
Assisting: 300 hours (i've been assisting the same dentist for 2 years on and off)
Other EC: Pre-dental club, I work on cars and used to build car parts on the lathe for the MechE department my freshman year, I play the piano, I am currently doing research with the same professor.
Honors/Awards: Deans list all semesters
LORs: 1 general dentist (strong), Biochem chemistry professor(strong), research mentor (very strong)
Dental school open houses/programs: UNC Adams undergraduate volunteering
Misc info/questions: Do I retake? I really only want to go to UNC Adams as it's close to where I live, cost-effective and I have immediate family members who went there. A lot of the schools on my list have extremely high DAT averages so that's why I'm asking if I should retake.

Schools List
(open to suggestions- I am interested in continuing research in dental school)

UNC
UKentucky
UMD
Tufts
Temple
Case Western
UPenn
Pitt
Texas A&M
VCU
ECU
Columbia
UIowa
HSDM

Members don't see this ad.

I can guess that your DAT is disappointing for places like the dental Ivy schools. But I think that brings your list down to 12, which is more manageable and better.

That said, you should stay put with your DAT score now. The only concern is the PAT score, but if you have enough fine manual dexterity work (which you suggest with your work with cars and piano), you are probably fine. I would think UNC would interview you. ECU might, but only because you are in-state but have lots of ECU signals. If you didn't grow up in the Tidewater area or have a strong rural background, ECU might wait to interview you until later. Or that's how I would react.

I'm unsure about Kentucky, Iowa or A&M's OOS preferences. Maryland is always challenging for OOS.

I need some advice as I took my DAT and scored alot lower than my practice exams. I'm extremely disappointed and can’t even think about a retake right now because I'm so burnt out.I spent my entire summer doing research all day and then coming home and immediately having to study for this god awful exam which i ended up bombing anyways. Wondering if I should suck it up and retake or just switch out the schools on my list. I am applying next cycle and am currently freaking out.

DAT:
AA 21
TS 21
PAT 17
QR 19
RC 23
BIO 20
GC 23
OC 20

Majors:
BS Genetics
BS Nutrition Sciences

NC Resident
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Volunteering: ~300 (International service trip, Cancer Research non-profit, volunteer as an assistant at a local non profit), volunteering at UNC Adams, volunteered at UNC hospitals
Leadership:Vice President of an intercollegiate cancer research non profit, I’ve also been a TA for two years
Employment: I was employed by my university to conduct biotech research under the supervision of a mentor, dental assistant , peer tutor at my university
Assisting: 300 hours (i've been assisting the same dentist for 2 years on and off)
Other EC: Pre-dental club, I work on cars and used to build car parts on the lathe for the MechE department my freshman year, I play the piano, I am currently doing research with the same professor.
LORs: 1 general dentist (strong), Biochem chemistry professor(strong), research mentor (very strong)
Misc info/questions: Do I retake? I really only want to go to UNC Adams as it's close to where I live, cost-effective and I have immediate family members who went there. A lot of the schools on my list have extremely high DAT averages so that's why I'm asking if I should retake.

Schools List

UNC
UKentucky
UMD
Tufts
Temple
Case Western
UPenn
Pitt
Texas A&M
VCU
ECU
Columbia
UIowa
HSDM
you didn't "bomb" the exam...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can guess that your DAT is disappointing for places like the dental Ivy schools. But I think that brings your list down to 12, which is more manageable and better.

That said, you should stay put with your DAT score now. The only concern is the PAT score, but if you have enough fine manual dexterity work (which you suggest with your work with cars and piano), you are probably fine. I would think UNC would interview you. ECU might, but only because you are in-state but have lots of ECU signals. If you didn't grow up in the Tidewater area or have a strong rural background, ECU might wait to interview you until later. Or that's how I would react.

I'm unsure about Kentucky, Iowa or A&M's OOS preferences. Maryland is always challenging for OOS.
What more can I do between now and next cycle to make up for my DAT score

What does your prehealth advising team say? I presume you have already filled out any secondaries and are preparing for interviews now?
I haven't applied yet- I am currently about to go into my junior year. I haven't reached out to my pre health advisor at my university about my DAT score but I can do that right now. I'm planning on applying as soon as the applications open next year- if I am able to secure my LOR's in time.

I haven't applied yet- I am currently about to go into my junior year. I haven't reached out to my pre health advisor at my university about my DAT score but I can do that right now. I'm planning on applying as soon as the applications open next year- if I am able to secure my LOR's in time.
Oh heck... you have PLENTY of time then. I wouldn't fret on your DAT score, but chat with the UNC prehealth team first to make sure you put your ducks in a row when it comes to non-clinical volunteering and your letters. Take the time to network with admissions recruiters; I'm sure they can assure you that your DAT scores are fine for them. Even perhaps the Ivy schools.

Not all schools will average DAT scores, but they don't treat multiple scores the same. You have as much of a chance to go down as you could go up, but those scorers are fine. If you want people to check on your PAT, get the feedback.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh heck... you have PLENTY of time then. I wouldn't fret on your DAT score, but chat with the UNC prehealth team first to make sure you put your ducks in a row when it comes to non-clinical volunteering and your letters. Take the time to network with admissions recruiters; I'm sure they can assure you that your DAT scores are fine for them. Even perhaps the Ivy schools.

Not all schools will average DAT scores, but they don't treat multiple scores the same. You have as much of a chance to go down as you could go up, but those scorers are fine. If you want people to check on your PAT, get the feedback.
Ok got it! Thanks so much for your response!

I see your list includes KY. If you’re interested in continuing research, I would add Louisville to your list. It is very OOS friendly (about 30 IS, 90 OOS) and they have a program that allows their students to do research during the summer for a sizeable stipend that goes towards tuition

Reactions: 1 users

DAT:
AA 21
TS 21
PAT 17
QR 19
RC 23
BIO 20
GC 23
OC 20

Majors:
BS Genetics
BS Nutrition Sciences

NC Resident
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Schools List

UNC
UKentucky
UMD
Tufts
Temple
Case Western
UPenn
Pitt
Texas A&M
VCU
ECU
Columbia
UIowa
HSDM
you DAT is low for the ivy and top tier schools. If you believe you belong in these schools retake and aim for a 22+. if you are content with just getting in, your DAT and GPA is just fine for acceptance into dental school. dont be so hard on yourself you did not bomb this exam, you actually got a score many kids like you would dream of getting. stay positive you got this!

you DAT is low for the ivy and top tier schools. If you believe you belong in these schools retake and aim for a 22+. if you are content with just getting in, your DAT and GPA is just fine for acceptance into dental school. dont be so hard on yourself you did not bomb this exam, you actually got a score many kids like you would dream of getting. stay positive you got this!
Ok gotcha! Which schools out of my list would you consider top tier? I'm not sure which ones (of the ones that arent ivy) would be classified as top tier.

I know someone at Penn dental with a 21 AA, even a 16 in the BIO section. It’s not impossible if you are a good mission fit and have a well rounded app.