WAMC c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowtzu821

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
So, I was planning on applying to vet school this cycle but I have been getting rather discouraged at my lack of variety of experience.
I’m a Nevada resident hoping to apply for WICHE (if it doesn’t get defunded).

I was hoping to apply to the WICHE schools (CSU, Oregon, WSU, and Midwestern) and maybe one non-WICHE such as Davis, Illinois, or UofA.

I have a 4.0 GPA and I’m taking the GRE soon.

As for the vet experience:
I have worked at my schools Animal Resources department for a year and half (~1200 hours) as a laboratory animal assistant.
I also shadowed under a small animal vet for 20 hours until he left the practice.

I never tried to work anywhere else because I wanted to do my thesis project with veterinarian at my job.
I started it last semester and continuing on this summer so I’m guessing that adds about maybe ~50 hours of research hours by September as I developed the project and we will be starting trials soon.

For animal experience
I have about 200 hours of pet-sitting
And about 30 hours volunteering at a local animal shelter

Job experience outside vet or animal stuff:
I have also worked as a mentor to incoming freshmen for about 80 hours and a reading tutor for a sixth grader for about 40 hours.

I don’t have much extracurriculars outside of being the Vice President and now secretary of my college’s ambassador club, and I’m apart of the honors college.

For my recommendations:
I have asked the lead vet at my work that’s working on the research project with me.
I have asked my vet anatomy professor/advisor who I worked on an honors project with and who was also in charge of the freshmen mentoring program I mentioned earlier.
And for my last recommendation I was going to ask the other vet at my work or the lead technician.

Should I try and apply this cycle? I’m really not feeling confident,
but I’m thinking maybe I should try for the experience and the chance that I might actually get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
So, I was planning on applying to vet school this cycle but I have been getting rather discouraged at my lack of variety of experience.
I’m a Nevada resident hoping to apply for WICHE (if it doesn’t get defunded).

I was hoping to apply to the WICHE schools (CSU, Oregon, WSU, and Midwestern) and maybe one non-WICHE such as Davis, Illinois, or UofA.

I have a 4.0 GPA and I’m taking the GRE soon.

As for the vet experience:
I have worked at my schools Animal Resources department for a year and half (~1200 hours) as a laboratory animal assistant.
I also shadowed under a small animal vet for 20 hours until he left the practice.

I never tried to work anywhere else because I wanted to do my thesis project with veterinarian at my job.
I started it last semester and continuing on this summer so I’m guessing that adds about maybe ~50 hours of research hours by September as I developed the project and we will be starting trials soon.

For animal experience
I have about 200 hours of pet-sitting
And about 30 hours volunteering at a local animal shelter

Job experience outside vet or animal stuff:
I have also worked as a mentor to incoming freshmen for about 80 hours and a reading tutor for a sixth grader for about 40 hours.

I don’t have much extracurriculars outside of being the Vice President and now secretary of my college’s ambassador club, and I’m apart of the honors college.

For my recommendations:
I have asked the lead vet at my work that’s working on the research project with me.
I have asked my vet anatomy professor/advisor who I worked on an honors project with and who was also in charge of the freshmen mentoring program I mentioned earlier.
And for my last recommendation I was going to ask the other vet at my work or the lead technician.

Should I try and apply this cycle? I’m really not feeling confident,
but I’m thinking maybe I should try for the experience and the chance that I might actually get in somewhere.
I think this cycle will be unique, but think that you should go ahead and apply considering your stats plus I think if you have good LORs and essays you have a decent shot considering you're WICHE. Since WICHE is up in the air I would also suggest applying to schools you can change residency like Missouri. For your third letter if you have someone that knows you well from outside vet & academic that would help round out your application, but ultimately you want someone who is going to write you a strong LOR. I know COVID has alot up in the air, but I would suggest trying to get some more other vet experience (small, large, equine, speciality, ER,etc) before the cycle closes if possible. Continue shadowing at the shelter. Again I know COVID is making things hard, but I think it would help diversify your application if possible. Just a tip for WSU is to make sure and include EVERYTHING. Hike? Bike? Donate? Include it! Good luck! LMK if you have questions about WSU!

You might have a decent chance with Illinois pending your essays and letters

Status
Not open for further replies.