• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC c/o 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowtzu821

WSU c/o 2025
Jun 14, 2020
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi!
So, I was planning on applying to vet school this cycle but I have been getting rather discouraged at my lack of variety of experience.
I’m a Nevada resident hoping to apply for WICHE (if it doesn’t get defunded).

I was hoping to apply to the WICHE schools (CSU, Oregon, WSU, and Midwestern) and maybe one non-WICHE such as Davis, Illinois, or UofA.

I have a 4.0 GPA and I’m taking the GRE soon.

As for the vet experience:
I have worked at my schools Animal Resources department for a year and half (~1200 hours) as a laboratory animal assistant.
I also shadowed under a small animal vet for 20 hours until he left the practice.

I never tried to work anywhere else because I wanted to do my thesis project with veterinarian at my job.
I started it last semester and continuing on this summer so I’m guessing that adds about maybe ~50 hours of research hours by September as I developed the project and we will be starting trials soon.

For animal experience
I have about 200 hours of pet-sitting
And about 30 hours volunteering at a local animal shelter

Job experience outside vet or animal stuff:
I have also worked as a mentor to incoming freshmen for about 80 hours and a reading tutor for a sixth grader for about 40 hours.

I don’t have much extracurriculars outside of being the Vice President and now secretary of my college’s ambassador club, and I’m apart of the honors college.

For my recommendations:
I have asked the lead vet at my work that’s working on the research project with me.
I have asked my vet anatomy professor/advisor who I worked on an honors project with and who was also in charge of the freshmen mentoring program I mentioned earlier.
And for my last recommendation I was going to ask the other vet at my work or the lead technician.

Should I try and apply this cycle? I’m really not feeling confident,
but I’m thinking maybe I should try for the experience and the chance that I might actually get in somewhere.

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
  1. Veterinary Student
Hi!
So, I was planning on applying to vet school this cycle but I have been getting rather discouraged at my lack of variety of experience.
I’m a Nevada resident hoping to apply for WICHE (if it doesn’t get defunded).

I was hoping to apply to the WICHE schools (CSU, Oregon, WSU, and Midwestern) and maybe one non-WICHE such as Davis, Illinois, or UofA.

I have a 4.0 GPA and I’m taking the GRE soon.

As for the vet experience:
I have worked at my schools Animal Resources department for a year and half (~1200 hours) as a laboratory animal assistant.
I also shadowed under a small animal vet for 20 hours until he left the practice.

I never tried to work anywhere else because I wanted to do my thesis project with veterinarian at my job.
I started it last semester and continuing on this summer so I’m guessing that adds about maybe ~50 hours of research hours by September as I developed the project and we will be starting trials soon.

For animal experience
I have about 200 hours of pet-sitting
And about 30 hours volunteering at a local animal shelter

Job experience outside vet or animal stuff:
I have also worked as a mentor to incoming freshmen for about 80 hours and a reading tutor for a sixth grader for about 40 hours.

I don’t have much extracurriculars outside of being the Vice President and now secretary of my college’s ambassador club, and I’m apart of the honors college.

For my recommendations:
I have asked the lead vet at my work that’s working on the research project with me.
I have asked my vet anatomy professor/advisor who I worked on an honors project with and who was also in charge of the freshmen mentoring program I mentioned earlier.
And for my last recommendation I was going to ask the other vet at my work or the lead technician.

Should I try and apply this cycle? I’m really not feeling confident,
but I’m thinking maybe I should try for the experience and the chance that I might actually get in somewhere.
I think this cycle will be unique, but think that you should go ahead and apply considering your stats plus I think if you have good LORs and essays you have a decent shot considering you're WICHE. Since WICHE is up in the air I would also suggest applying to schools you can change residency like Missouri. For your third letter if you have someone that knows you well from outside vet & academic that would help round out your application, but ultimately you want someone who is going to write you a strong LOR. I know COVID has alot up in the air, but I would suggest trying to get some more other vet experience (small, large, equine, speciality, ER,etc) before the cycle closes if possible. Continue shadowing at the shelter. Again I know COVID is making things hard, but I think it would help diversify your application if possible. Just a tip for WSU is to make sure and include EVERYTHING. Hike? Bike? Donate? Include it! Good luck! LMK if you have questions about WSU!

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.