WAMC c/o 2027 Int'l, Low Experience w/ 2nd degree, first-time app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CarboKitty

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only decided to pursue vet med during COVID, so my animal and vet hours came from just the past 1.5 years. I suppose I'll have to explain this in VMCAS knowing it is significantly less than average.
My last 30/45 creds came from piling graduate engineering courses (inc. physiology) on top of 4th yr chemistry. I struggled in all of them and averaged a B/B+. I completed all my vet school pre-reqs--save physiology--before my last semesters. I know most applicants' GPA show an upward trend, but mine is quite prominently downward because of those engineering classes. I genuinely found them intellectually stimulating and tried to recreate a "vet school is hard" curriculum.

I want to specialize in Lab Animal Medicine. I am international, meaning OOS for every school. The schools that I am considering are Cornell, UCD, Ohio, Colorado, UW Madison, Iowa OR Kansas, U of Georgia, Tufts, Long Island, and Mississippi. Mainly unsure if Davis is out of my league and if my GREs can compensate for my lower-than-average GPA 🤔

Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Req'd science GPA: 3.71~3.97, depending on the school
Last 30/45: 3.67/3.75

Degrees:

BA in Biochemistry with a minor in mathematical sciences
In-progress MS in Biomedical engineering in Spring 2023

GRE results: Q/V/W
164/159/5 (81/78/91 percentile)

Veterinary Experience: 250 hours
- 110 hrs were at the lab animal facilities at my university, where the veterinarians performed surgeries, small procedures, and rounds on aquatics, amphibians, rodents, pigs, and non-human primates.
- 140 hrs from a specialty cat clinic. I worked with cats and interacted with the clients and referral veterinarians.

Animal Experience: 900 hours
- Most are from the lab animal and the cat hours, specifically when I'm handling and feeding the animals without the vets being there.
- 45 hrs from volunteering with horses at a non-profit riding school.
- 20 hrs from volunteering with reptiles and amphibians at a local children's museum.

Research Experience: 1350 hours across 4 yrs of undergrad
- 900 hrs from my current biomedical engineering research lab. I assist the rodent surgeries.
- 450 hrs from a computational chemistry lab in the past.

Awards/scholarships:
Medical Interpreter (Mandarin-English)
Honors List 6/8 semesters
University awards for research excellence, campus leadership, and a poetry competition
None outside of the university (there are only two available to international students that I know of)

Extracurriculars: across 4 yrs of undergrad
- 420 hrs teaching American Sign Language, leading Deaf advocacy workshops, and mentoring Deaf students
- 715 hrs dancing with the university ballet ensemble

Non-animal Employment: across 4 yrs of undergrad
- 160 hrs of peer tutoring
- 280 hrs teaching English as a Second Language

**Related Q: has anyone disclosed a disability in their application and was accepted?**
EDIT** GRE Score update (prev 166/156/NA (84/72/NA in percentiles))
EDIT #2** GRE Writing score + percentile update
 
Last edited:
You know that you're lacking in the veterinary experience areas which is not great when applying to vet school. I worry that regardless of your great gpa and other experiences that vet schools will believe you don't understand the career fully. I think you're a great applicant but you need those hours to make it to the top of the pile.
 
Although you are short on vet experience, you have a lot of research experience! I know some schools put research(with PhD or MD or DVM) under vet experience such as NCSU!