WAMC - CA resident, 1st application, help with school list!

Started by amm1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amm1

UC Davis c/o 2029
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CA resident, first application, c/o 2029, traditional applicant, 21 y/o

School list: UC Davis, Ohio state, Washington state, Western U, Mizzou. Any others I should add? Looking for low cost schools mostly (especially any that allow you to get instate residency after a year)
Cumulative GPA: 3.89
science GPA: ~3.83
last 45/68 quarter: ~3.92

Any degrees achieved: expected BS Biotechnology 2025

Veterinary Experience: total ~1200
- Small animal GP vet assistant/shadow about 750 hrs
- Mixed animal practice intern about 140 hours
- Student run clinics at my undergrad for low-income pet owners about 70 hours
- Large animal practice shadowing about 40 hours
- shadowing at vet school teaching hospital ~60 hours
- wildlife vet internship abroad in costa rica ~140 hours

Animal Experience: total about 290 hours
- wild bird rescue
- goat kidding internship
- animal science labs
- dog/cat shelter

Research Experience: ~200
- equine genetics research lab undergrad researcher
- dairy cattle methane emissions research internship

LORs:
- mixed animal vet
- small animal GP vet
- 1 stem professor
- professor that supervised my dairy cattle internship
- lab PI

Awards/scholarships:
- university honors program
- deans list x5
- several scholarships

Extracurriculars:
- Pre-vet diversity club (board assistant)
- Student run clinic board member 2022-2023
- biotech club (member)
- several hobbies that I am not sure if I should add to my application

Employment:
- Sales associate at family's company during breaks (mostly high school)
-

I dont have a lot of employment/extracurriculars outside of vet/animal stuff so that was one of my main concerns! Just havent had time unfortunately. My main concern is my school list as I have not done much research on schools besides UCD. Any help with that or other areas of my application that need improvement is much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
You’re smart to stick to cheaper schools like your in-state and ones that let you switch your residency. I think you’ll be competitive. I’d probably include NCSU on your list. They’re one of the cheapest OOS options since you can get residency after the first year. They don’t take a lot of OOS and the average GPA of people they do accept is very high, but your GPAs are competitive for that, so it’s worth applying there.
 
I'm a current student at Mizzou, happy to answer any questions about the program and living in Columbia 🙂

Best of luck this cycle, from what you have listed you seem very competitive!