WAMC: cGPA:3.7 sGPA:3.5 MCAT:508- URM Latino

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristianoronaldo

Reaction score
Hey guys I am a non-traditional student. I graduated in May 2020 and will be applying this cycle. My goal is to get into a Texas Medical school.

GPA: 3.7 overall, 3.5 sGPA (positive trend)
MCAT: 508 (127 125 127 129)

ECs from my 2020-21 app
  • non-clinical volunteering: 500 tutoring/mentoring at-risk latino students in my community
  • clinical volunteering: 200 hours at a Hospital
  • shadowing: 50 hours
  • employment: 300 hrs in Walgreens pharmacy, 800 hrs assistant for a beauty/cosmetics company, 200 hours in construction, 1000 hours scribing
  • research: 150 hours working in linguistics research. I have 2 posters.
  • leadership: Founder of a Latino mentorship program in my old district. Mentor at an organization in college
  • LORs: 2 science professors, 1 research leader (PhD candidate)
  • Misc: URM latino, Texas resident
  • IA: I failed to report a student cheating off me so I received a 0 for a test spring of the junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools (including TCU-UNT)
You could add these OOS MD schools:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Kaiser
California University
Colorado
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Thank you @
Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools (including TCU-UNT)
You could add these OOS MD schools:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Kaiser
California University
Colorado
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you! Should I retake my MCAT? or start getting those clinical hours up?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Texas MS that had lower stats than you and is not an URM, I think your chances are pretty good. It will come down to how good your PS and interview skills are. Med schools in general need URM, especially if they are bilingual because of the growing language gap that contributes to further perpetuate healthcare disparities.

As a Texas MS that had lower stats than you and is not an URM, I think your chances are pretty good. It will come down to how good your PS and interview skills are. Med schools in general need URM, especially if they are bilingual because of the growing language gap that contributes to further perpetuate healthcare disparities.
Thank you! I agree, I have to make my personal statement very compelling. Do you think it would be worth it to retake the MCAT or would my time be better spent strengthening my application?

Thank you! I agree, I have to make my personal statement very compelling. Do you think it would be worth it to retake the MCAT or would my time be better spent strengthening my application?
I would not! You always risk doing worse, 508 is a respectable score, now is the time to balance everything else. Get your application in early (by early to mid june or whenever they start accepting apps) and have your PS/essays read by at least 3 different people.