MD & DO WAMC - DIY Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizza pizza

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad (T30):
cGPA/sGPA: 3.4/3.2

DIY Post-Bacc (4.0)
cGPA/sGPA: 3.5/3.45
MCAT: 517

LizzyM: 70, WARS: 73/Level C

Extracurricular: 4000 hours clinical paid and non-paid, 1000 hours research (several posters), 300 hours non-clinical volunteering

School List (MD):
Albany
Buffalo
Drexel
Downstate
Creighton
EVMS
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Netter/Quinnipiac University
NYMC
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush Medical College
Seton Hall
Temple University
TCU-UNT
Tufts
Tulane
USF Morsani
Vermont
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Wright State
Upstate

Reach: Emory, Dartmouth, USC, UCLA

School List (DO):
AZCOM
CCOM
CUSM
NYIT
OSUCOM
PCOM
PNWU
Touro-CA
UNECOM

Are there any I should leave off or switch?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all the DO schools on your list. Remove state public schools such as Rutgers, Oregon, Louisville, Michigan State that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. USC is a reach and they interview only 5% of OOS applicants. Emory, Dartmouth and Miami are also reaches. Consider adding there schools:
Stony Brook
Vermont
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Jefferson
Penn State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Creighton
TCU-UNT (new school)
George Washington

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all the DO schools on your list. Remove state public schools such as Rutgers, Oregon, Louisville, Michigan State that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. USC is a reach and they interview only 5% of OOS applicants. Emory, Dartmouth and Miami are also reaches. Consider adding there schools:
Stony Brook
Vermont X
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Jefferson
Penn State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan X
Creighton X
TCU-UNT (new school)
George Washington X

Thank you for your input! I've updated my list accordingly.

I was unsure about Stony Brook /Jefferson/Penn State/Oakland Beaumont - I'm below their 10th percentile for GPAs even with my additional coursework.

Also, I left Seton Hall/Nova out due to their small class size?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seton Hall and NOVA MD receive fewer applicants because they are new so your chances are not low at those schools. The applicants who get in to the other schools who are less than the 10th percentile are more likely to be applicants with high MCAT scores such as your 517.

Seton Hall and NOVA MD receive fewer applicants because they are new so your chances are not low at those schools. The applicants who get in to the other schools who are less than the 10th percentile are more likely to be applicants with high MCAT scores such as your 517.

Makes sense! Thanks again!

If you're altering your reach list, you might add Columbia as a Hail Mary; they do reward reinvention. You're solid as a candidate for DO schools and your state MD schools, and you have a fighting chance at midtiers.

If you're altering your reach list, you might add Columbia as a Hail Mary; they do reward reinvention. You're solid as a candidate for DO schools and your state MD schools, and you have a fighting chance at midtiers.

A voice of optimism...much appreciated.