WAMC? Latina, non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knava1985

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. Normally I just read some of these obsessively in hope of finding come comfort (I don't) so I said, what the heck, let me just put myself out there. I appreciate all the help, you guys are awesome.

-First generation Latina, formerly DACA now permanent resident
-bilingual
-non-traditional (I am 29 years old, married, no kids yet)
-worked full-time and part-time my entire academic career to pay tuition, the rest has been covered by merit-based scholarships
-cGPA: 3.56
-sGPA: 3.31 thanks to physics, calculus, and organic chem. (after barely managing to graduate high school, I worked full time for 4 years before starting college so I blame this)
-nsGPA: 3.92
-MCAT: 514
-2000+ hours paid work at a family clinic in low-income, underprivileged community
-30+ hours volunteering at a prestigious hospital
-25 hours of shadowing at prestigious hospital (I got the opportunity through my boss who is doctor's neighbor)
-Lab Tech at a cancer research lab for over a year (DNA purification, transformations, bacteria cultures)
-Associate in undergrad reproductive physiology lab for over a year (collect smears on mice, embed, section, stain, analyze ovary sections)
-500+ hours working in a pathology lab at a hospital (specimen processing)
-Founded and managed a food pantry on my community college campus
-Organized several donations drives, fundraisers, and volunteer events for different charities
-Summer fellowship with my county's Dept. of Public Health, focusing on immigrant integration
-Been in paid leadership positions such as Assistant Manager of a restaurant/bar (in charge of hiring and training staff of 15)
-Executive officer of honor society
-Numerous awards and scholarships, a few international ones

I feel like I have a pretty solid chance, except that my GPA is killing me, especially my sGPA. I'm afraid that I won't even survive the screens. Will they be more lenient knowing I was out of school for 4 years?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will survive the screens, you're on the low side but not enough that you'd be left unread, certainly given your MCAT and your background as URiM/First-Gen/Non-trad. It seems clear from your story that you have a lot of grit and at the end of the day, you did well on the MCAT, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the sGPA. However, the trend here does matter. An upward trend looks great; if it's a flat line, I think you might be a bit borderline at many schools. I don't know how residency status will factor into this--yes you're not a citizen, but we also have a huge need for first-gen latinx physicians who will serve the community. I would aim more for low and mid tier schools.

Invest in MSAR and try to see what schools are OK with permanent residents, or have an affinity for DACA applicants (they may be more sympathetic about the GPA stuff and embrace your life story). I know for a fact that Loyola Chicago prides itself on embracing DACA folks, not sure about other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ?
So I've lived in Illinois most of my life, but moved to CA last year bc my husband is active duty USMC and was stationed here. Per CA residency laws, I can claim residency here, or claim IL. I want to stay in CA bc of my husband but will be applying to both states.

I suggest these schools if you claim CA residency
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF
UC Davis
UC Irvine
USC Keck
California University
Kaiser
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Georgetown
Miami
St. Louis
Creighton
Boston University

I think you’ll be okay. Apply to Loyola for sure. I know you aren't DACA but they will still be interested since they have a program for DACA students. Good luck.

I suggest these schools if you claim CA residency
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF
UC Davis
UC Irvine
USC Keck
California University
Kaiser
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Georgetown
Miami
St. Louis
Creighton
Boston University

Thank you! This list looks awesome. May I ask how you selected these recommendations? Average scores or are some of these more interested in URM, non-trad. etc?