WAMC low DAT average GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PredentZK

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just asking for your opinion on my chances, I have done a significant amount of research into what schools I should apply to this cycle, if you could give me any advice that would be appreciated. I know my DAT is low and I am planning on retaking it this summer but I want to apply at the start of June. If I apply with my current DAT score and take the DAT later would they still consider that score or is what I apply with all they consider?

Utah resident

Demographics:
White
Middle Class
Married

Experience Hours:
Shadowing: 150+ 4 general dentists, 1 endodontists, and 1 periodontists.
Volunteer: 60+ hours
Research: 2 years experience with one publication in the process.
Employment: 7 months as a dental assistant
Other: I also have 5 LoR that are all very strong as well as a committee letter from my school.

oGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.60
Major: Microbiology
Minor: Chemistry

DAT scores:
PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 17
BIO: 18
GC: 15
OC: 19
TS: 17
AA: 18

Extra curricular:
-VP microbiology club
-Played high school football (quarterback)
-Manager at work
-Dental assistant
-Fluent in spanish
-Licensed in medical interpretation (spanish)

School Lists:
  1. LECOM
  2. Arizona School of Dentistry
  3. Roseman University School of Dentistry Utah/Nevada campuses
  4. Louisville
  5. West Virginia Dental School
  6. Virginia Commonwealth School of Dentistry
  7. UMKC Dental School
  8. University of Kentucky School of Dentistry
  9. University of Michigan Dental School
  10. University of Tennessee School of Dentistry
  11. Southern Illinois University School of Dentistry
  12. UNLV dental school
  13. University of Utah School of Dentistry
  14. NOVA southeastern university Dental School
  15. Lincoln Memorial University
  16. University of New England
  17. University of Colorado
  18. Western University
  19. University of Oklahoma
  20. Eastern Carolina University
  21. University of Minnesota
  22. University of Pittsburgh school of dentistry
  23. Indiana University dental school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am just asking for your opinion on my chances, I have done a significant amount of research into what schools I should apply to this cycle, if you could give me any advice that would be appreciated. I know my DAT is low and I am planning on retaking it this summer but I want to apply at the start of June. If I apply with my current DAT score and take the DAT later would they still consider that score or is what I apply with all they consider?

Utah resident

Demographics:
White
Middle Class
Married

Experience Hours:
Other: I also have 5 LoR that are all very strong as well as a committee letter from my school.

DAT scores:

Extra curricular:
-VP microbiology club
-Manager at work
-Dental assistant
-Fluent in spanish

School Lists:
  1. LECOM
  4. Louisville
  7. UMKC Dental School
  12. UNLV dental school
  18. Western University
in my opinion, your school list does not reflect "I have done a significant amount of research into what schools I should apply to this cycle"
your list does not work out geographically nor does it show any consistency of school choice
18 or 19 of them are public schools and there's one that you have next to zero chance of getting into as an OOS applicant, no matter what your scores

in answer to your question, if you say on your application you are retaking the dat, the vast majority of schools will put your application on hold pending your new dat scpres...

Reactions: 2 users
in my opinion, your school list does not reflect "I have done a significant amount of research into what schools I should apply to this cycle"
your list does not work out geographically nor does it show any consistency of school choice
18 or 19 of them are public schools and there's one that you have next to zero chance of getting into as an OOS applicant, no matter what your scores

in answer to your question, if you say on your application you are retaking the dat, the vast majority of schools will put your application on hold pending your new dat scpres...
What do you mean that the school list does not work out geographically? Also what would you suggest in adjusting my school list? I do not have a problem adding more private schools, I have just added ones that I feel match up with my courses I have takes, stats, and I took a couple classes at the local community college so I am not going to apply to Creighton or University of Missipppi.

As to the public school that you are talking about being very hard to get in, is it University of West Virginia? I know they are very hard to get in out of state but one of my LoR is from a dentist that graduated from there and was also out of state. I originally was not going to apply there but he told me to give it a shot so I figured it can’t hurt.

Utah resident

Demographics:
White
Middle Class
Married

Experience Hours:

DAT scores:

Extra curricular:
-VP microbiology club
-Manager at work
-Dental assistant
-Fluent in spanish

School Lists:
  1. LECOM
  4. Louisville
  7. UMKC Dental School
  12. UNLV dental school
  18. Western University
East Carolina only accepts North Carolina residents.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean that the school list does not work out geographically? Also what would you suggest in adjusting my school list? I do not have a problem adding more private schools, I have just added ones that I feel match up with my courses I have takes, stats, and I took a couple classes at the local community college so I am not going to apply to Creighton or University of Missipppi.

As to the public school that you are talking about being very hard to get in, is it University of West Virginia? I know they are very hard to get in out of state but one of my LoR is from a dentist that graduated from there and was also out of state. I originally was not going to apply there but he told me to give it a shot so I figured it can’t hurt.
your schools are all up and down the east coast and midwest and have all different demographics/scores/dats/cultures
you need to have a broad and well chosen list with a few "reach" schools, a lot of "in range" schools, and some "safety schools"

the fact that you didn't know that ECU is the school i was talking about tells me you need to do more and better research...

<< Experience Hours:
Other: I also have 5 LoR that are all very strong as well as a committee letter from my school. ...

Extra curricular:
-VP microbiology club
-Manager at work
-Dental assistant
-Fluent in spanish
-Licensed in medical interpretation (spanish) >>>

I missed something. Employment is 7 months as a DA, but you were also a manager??? I'm still missing what you did as a volunteer for 60 hours.

You have a pending committee letter so what feedback have you received?

<< Experience Hours:
Other: I also have 5 LoR that are all very strong as well as a committee letter from my school. ...

Extra curricular:
-VP microbiology club
-Manager at work
-Dental assistant
-Fluent in spanish
-Licensed in medical interpretation (spanish) >>>

I missed something. Employment is 7 months as a DA, but you were also a manager??? I'm still missing what you did as a volunteer for 60 hours.

You have a pending committee letter so what feedback have you received?
Sorry it was not very clear, I worked at a manual labor job to pay for my undergrad for 4 years then switched to dental assisting for my last 7 months. I was a product delivery manager at my old job.

I have had the committee interview and they told me my app looks good but that they want me to retake the dat and apply to as many schools as possible.

your schools are all up and down the east coast and midwest and have all different demographics/scores/dats/cultures
you need to have a broad and well chosen list with a few "reach" schools, a lot of "in range" schools, and some "safety schools"

the fact that you didn't know that ECU is the school i was talking about tells me you need to do more and better research...
Thank you for your input, Ill get that school list figured out.