Jun 17, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi! Any and all help would be appreciated!
  1. cGPA and sGPA
    1. cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.0 currently in a 1-yr diy post-bacc
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 512 (126, 127, 130, 129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. California Resident
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Mexican-American (can speak spanish)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. UC
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Clinical Volunteer - 250+ hours volunteering at a hospital, has been on pause since March but hopefully will begin in the beginning of the year so I can add more hours before applying in June
    2. Clinical Work
      1. Nurse Case Manager Assistant: 1000 hours patient contact hours, mostly interacting with low income patient who have suffered tbi or sci
      2. Will begin scribing in the beginning of the year
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 1000 hours working in clinical research on a study specifically for hispanics
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 100 hours shadowing pediatric PMR physician
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 100+ Refugee Resettlement Program - work with refugees that have recently moved to my city to help them acclimate to American culture, and also help with learning english
    2. 50 hours volunteering at a food kitchen
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Held a leadership role in a club and I also did some volunteering through clubs
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important
I am in the beginning of my gap years since I wont apply till next year, but I wanted to know if you guys had any recommendations for how to make my application stronger and what I should do in my gap year. I know my gpa is low so I am really trying to make sure the other parts of my application are strong. Should I retake my MCAT to help my chances or am I good with that score? I was mostly going to apply to DO schools due to my GPA, but I was wondering if I should shoot my shot at MD schools. I really dont have the money to apply to reach schools, which is why I'm turning to advice from this forum to really know where I should apply. It is really important to have a school that is tied to underserved communities, as being hispanic has really influenced me wanting to go into medicine and try to hopefully help with some of the disparities. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Do well in your DIY post bacc so you can increase your sGPA. You do not need to retake the MCAT. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UCSD
UCLA
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM

Jun 17, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Do well in your DIY post bacc so you can increase your sGPA. You do not need to retake the MCAT. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UCSD
UCLA
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM

Thanks so much! I honestly was only going to apply to handful of MD schools as my stats are very below what a lot of them average. Are the UCs you suggested not extreme reach schools for me? I don’t have a lot of extra money so I want to get a very realistic school list, which I know is hard since my gpa is so low and my MCAT is barely at the average for a lot of these schools.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks so much! I honestly was only going to apply to handful of MD schools as my stats are very below what a lot of them average. Are the UCs you suggested not extreme reach schools for me? I don’t have a lot of extra money so I want to get a very realistic school list, which I know is hard since my gpa is so low and my MCAT is barely at the average for a lot of these schools.
The school list I gave you is realistic since your URM Mexican American. Most of those schools are in areas with large Hispanic populations (Einstein is in the Bronx which is 60% Hispanic) and they are looking for URM Hispanic applicants who can speak Spanish.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads