WAMC - low gpa decent DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldent7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
WAMC

Date of submission: upcoming cycle
Overall GPA: 2.95
Science GPA: Not sure, about the sameI'd assume
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: about the same
DAT score (include AA and all sections): (AA, BIO, GC, OC, PAT, QR, RC, TS) (22,21,22,22,22,20,26,22)
State of Residence: Washington

Undergrad Attended: University of Washington
Major: Biochemistry BA
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 70 General dentist, 30 orthodontist, more to come
Volunteering Experience: 50 Green Seattle Partnership, 50 Dental Free Clinic
Employment: Host/Cashier at restaurants not really relevant. CNA at a nursing home, 300 hours
Research: Undergraduate research in Bioengineering/materials science. 300 hours
Other Extracurriculars: University Wind Ensemble 2 years
LOR type and strength: Microbiology professor (strong), Dentist (strong), Another Microbiology professor (strong),
School list:
University of Washington
OHSU (I live on the border of WA and OR)
Western U (California)
UCSD
Tufts
UCLA
Rutgers
NYU
Midwestern (Both IL and AZ)
University of Indiana (Dentist's alma mater)
University of Alabama
Nova
LECOM
UCSF
Touro
Temple
And anywhere else suggested. I know it's a long list but I wanted the best chance I could have.
Any advice is appreciated, thank you all!
UCSD doesn't have a dental school...

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise you to do postbac or do masters to boost your GPA. I heard some schools don't even consider <3.0. I also graduated from UW with BS biochem. I had about 3.3, and directly heard from dental school interviewers that even 3.3 is very low. I did some postbac to boost GPA and had little better DAT (AA23TS24). I think I heard one with GPA about 2.75 getting in this cycle but most likely minority or someone with disadvantaged background. If you have money, I would apply to see how it goes, but definitely do something meanwhile to improve your GPA.

I would take out UCSF and UCLA. Add UDM, UNE, BU, and USC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like JMK said, a postbacc/masters is probably your best option. I guess you could still apply this cycle and also apply to one year SMPs that would begin fall 2022, in case you don’t get into a dental program. Your DAT is pretty good, which puts your GPA under even more scrutiny since it’s on the lower end, so boosting it via some sort of postgrad schooling is gonna be key. It’s possible that you could get in this upcoming cycle, but it might be to one of the more expensive schools.

WAMC

Date of submission: upcoming cycle
Overall GPA: 2.95
Science GPA: Not sure, about the sameI'd assume
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: about the same
DAT score (include AA and all sections): (AA, BIO, GC, OC, PAT, QR, RC, TS) (22,21,22,22,22,20,26,22)
State of Residence: Washington

Undergrad Attended: University of Washington
Major: Biochemistry BA
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 70 General dentist, 30 orthodontist, more to come
Volunteering Experience: 50 Green Seattle Partnership, 50 Dental Free Clinic
Employment: Host/Cashier at restaurants not really relevant. CNA at a nursing home, 300 hours
Research: Undergraduate research in Bioengineering/materials science. 300 hours
Other Extracurriculars: University Wind Ensemble 2 years
LOR type and strength: Microbiology professor (strong), Dentist (strong), Another Microbiology professor (strong),
School list:
University of Washington
OHSU (I live on the border of WA and OR)
Western U (California)
UCSD
Tufts
UCLA
Rutgers
NYU
Midwestern (Both IL and AZ)
University of Indiana (Dentist's alma mater)
University of Alabama
Nova
LECOM
UCSF
Touro
Temple
And anywhere else suggested. I know it's a long list but I wanted the best chance I could have.
Any advice is appreciated, thank you all!
You need to bump your GPA up to above a 3.0, otherwise you're most likely just going to be auto-rejected/automatically screened out. I'd recommend doing a masters program (see this: List of Post-Bacc/Masters Programs) to give yourself a better shot. If you're pressed for finances though, then you might be able to get away doing an informal post-bacc by taking upper division courses at a 4yr and getting nothing but As to get your GPA above a 3.0 AND changing your school list around to include mostly privates, since they tend to be a little more forgiving on stats. I would remove UCLA, UCSF, UAB, Temple and Rutgers since they are public schools and tend to be pickier with OOS applicants, and your GPAs really hurt you :/

Thank you all for your advice! I appreciate your input and will be applying for a one year masters program for Fall 2021 as well as dental school.