WAMC. Low GPA, High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeorgeRRMartin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would love some honest opinions and suggestions about my school list. I will be applying to MD and DO schools.

1. 3.13 cGPA and 3.26 sGPA
2. 523 MCAT (Chem/Phys 130, CARS 132, Bio 129, Psych/Soc 132). First attempt.
3. ORM
4. T20 undergrad
5. Clinical volunteering
  1. 350 hrs volunteering at a center for veterans
6. Research experience
  1. 1.5 years full-time research assistant (clinical research)
  2. 1 first-author abstract published in a national journal
  3. 2 poster presentations at national conferences (I am the primary author and presenter of both)
7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  1. ~200 hrs shadowing experience. 50 hrs in primary care, ~60 in neurology, the rest in cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, trauma surgery, orthopedic surgery, dermatology, gastroenterology, and a few others
8. Non-clinical volunteering
  1. 100 hrs volunteering at a recovery home for low-income women
9. Other extracurricular activities
  1. Leadership: supervisor of undergraduates who work on our study
  2. D1 athlete
  3. Full time employment at a law firm during my gap year
  4. 80 hrs tutoring
  5. Dog training (I’m not certified- but an avid hobbyist)
10. Honors/Awards
  1. Dean’s list for 3 semesters

I made the dean’s list my last 3 semesters of school. I have a strong upward trend. My first two years of college were a mess, and I took a gap year after my sophomore year to figure things out. This is when I decided to pursue medicine, so I took my prereqs during my junior and senior years. My GPA junior year was a 3.4 and senior year was a 3.7.

During this coming year, I’m thinking of doing something that would give me more clinical experience. Perhaps medical assisting or scribing?

I know my GPA is sub-par. Perhaps some schools that reward reinvention would be good to add to my list?

I appreciate any advice!

Here’s my list of schools:
all state schools
Tulane
Tufts
Drexel
Penn state
BU
SLU
Wake Forest
Keck
Hofstra
Dell Medical School
Loyola
Vanderbilt

DO School List
Midwestern University Chicago
Des Moines
Kansas City
Philadelphia College
Touro - NY
(I need a lot of help with my DO list. I am not as familiar with DO schools)

Thank you!

Edit: I will be starting a job as a medical assistant this month, which I plan to do until matriculation. This will add ~2000 hrs paid clinical employment.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these DO schools:
MU-COM
PCOM
NYIT
AZCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
TUCOM-CA
Western
For MD schools the GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance for an acceptance. I suggest these schools:
Your state public schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda

Thank you, @Faha ! Would you recommend I take a position that would offer me more clinical experience in the coming year? I have the option to stay on my research project, but am considering taking on a job that would be more clinically immersive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, @Faha ! Would you recommend I take a position that would offer me more clinical experience in the coming year? I have the option to stay on my research project, but am considering taking on a job that would be more clinically immersive.
Clinical experience will be more helpful especially if you can discuss it during interviews.

The rising GPA trend and being D1 will help. I agree with nearly all of the wise Faha's list and have modified accordingly.

MU-COM
PCOM
NYIT
AZCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
TUCOM-CA
Western (both)
TUNCOM
CCOM
LECOM (all)

Your state public schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda (ONLY if you are SDA)
Wake
Miami

Strongly suggest getting more more service to others. Many of the schools on the list are service loving.

@Goro Thank you for your wise counsel. Perhaps I will make you a character in my next book a la Tyrion Lannister.

Reactions: 1 user
One who doesn't die, and gets to bang Daenerys?

That can be arranged.

Also of note: In my version, Daenerys doesn't die, and neither does Rhaegal. You and her rule Westeros as the Mother and Father of Dragons, freeing the world from tyranny. You may also kill Cersei if you wish. She deserves worse than death by rubble.