WAMC - Low GPA High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iasrah

Reaction score
Hey guys I know it's a litle late but just finalizing my schools list I'd like to know if there's any I should add/remove:

cGPA 3.59 /sGPA 3.77 (good upward trend my last 4 semesters have cGPA 3.8)
MCAT 520
Research: 270 hours no publications. I only did research for a year and didn't really enjoy it, I talk about why I chose not to continue in my app
Healthcare: 500 hours scribing + 120 hours shadowing while studying abroad
Volunteering: 150 ish hours of non-medical volunteering through service orgs
Leadership: President off a service org as well as captain of a club sports team
Extracurriculars: 1000+ hours with my club sports team
Employment: 500 hours of scribing as mentioned before

Schools:
All state TX schools since I live there
Duke
WashU
U Washington
Brown
Case Western
Emory
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
U Pitt
Dartmouth
OSU
Rochester
Vermont
Tufts

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest (and the majority of those appear to be MD-PhD ). You should receive interviews from your Texas schools. Let us know if you receive any interviews from OOS schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I only did research for a year and didn't really enjoy it, I talk about why I chose not to continue in my app
I'd strike Duke from the list. They pride themselves on a research/scholar year within their curriculum, and so I don't think it would be a great fit for you. Check similar curricula, including at WashU and Mayo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd strike Duke from the list. They pride themselves on a research/scholar year within their curriculum, and so I don't think it would be a great fit for you. Check similar curricula, including at WashU and Mayo.

Sorry I should have clarified, I specifically didn't enjoy my time in my lab because I was there for 2 semesters but the lab was so saturated they really just made me do busywork like cleaning for the majority of the time. I left because I didn't feel like I was getting anything out of it and I didn't have time to fit in research in my later semesters due to course load + extracurriculars and then MCAT studying.

Also I've updated my list by removing UW and Wash U and adding U Cincinnati and Stanford. If anyone else has any recs that would be helpful b/c I'm planning on submitting in 2-3 days.