WAMC Low Masters GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsgopna11

Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently in this application cycle for dental school and wanted some additional feedback/advice on where my application stands. I scored well on the DAT when I took it in 2017 but I struggled in undergraduate courses, particularly the sciences. My main concern is my low Masters GPA. I improved my study skills significantly during this time but I still could not get the grades I needed. I have strong shadowing and working experience in the dental field, but I'm worried it won't be enough. My DAT score will expire after this cycle, so I'm also considering a backup plan in case I don't get in. Would it be unwise to pursue another Masters to improve my GPA? Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

Date of submission: 06/05/2019
Overall GPA:
3.37 Undergrad, 3.02 Grad
Science GPA:
3.03 Undergrad, 3.02 Grad
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
2.94 Undergrad, 3.15 Grad
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

AA: 22 PAT: 22 QR: 21 RC: 23: Bio: 23 GC: 22 OC: 23 TS: 23
State of Residence:
Georgia

Undergrad Attended: University of Georgia
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes, I applied in 2017 before my Masters. This will be my second time applying.
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 300 hours of shadowing with a general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 80 hours volunteering at a dental clinic in Peru, 50+ hours spread across other volunteering programs
Employment: 900 hours and counting as an Oral Surgery Assistant. I've worked summers and winter breaks for this oral surgeon since 2016 and am still currently employed there. This experience confirmed my decision to pursue dentistry.
Research: No publications
Other Extracurriculars: President of academic fraternity
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength: I have 2 LOR from the Oral Surgeons I work for. The general dentist I shadowed was not available to write me a letter. Both of my science LOR are from professors in the Masters program I completed. Since I did not do that well in this program, I don't believe those 2 are strong letters.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:

Fortunately, I was able to apply to nearly every school. I've listed a few of them here.
Augusta University
MWU
NYU
NOVA
LECOM
CDMI
Temple
Meharry
USC
Marquette
Tufts
UPitt
UMich

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great app to receive interviews; however, I think school choices may not be wise (upitt, umich). Why did you not apply in Louisville or other out-state friendly schools... but if these are schools that you would actually attend when given acceptance, then I support your decision.

when you first applied did you get any interviews?

That master gpa will hurt you. That was your chance to prove yourself, but it ended up being lower than your undergrad gpa. Your saving grace is your DAT. If you apply to nearly every dental schools, I think odd are in your favor that you will get accepted into at least one.