WAMC low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogadoc98

Reaction score
Well, I just got my MCAT score back and it's a whopping 503! Pretty disappointed, but I struggled getting high scores on my practice tests so not completely shocked. I just wanted some opinions on whether to consider applying this cycle. I have a cGPA of 3.72, sGPA of 3.6.
Undergrad state- Ohio
Major: Pre-medicine and minoring in Spanish and Medical Humanities
EC- service hours from volunteering in ER department and local Children's Hospital, Dayton Children's work-study student at children's homecare department, various non-medical service through a service organization on campus, DO shadowing, Remote Area Medical (RAM) trips (2nd one in September), international medical immersion (clinical, shadowing, service learning), a job at local hospital delivering food trays to the patients (does this count as something?? I've seen people say it could be medical experience since I interact w/ the patients)
No formal (scientific) research; however, have presented in two professional symposiums regarding, 1) clean water access and hygiene observations and suggestions (kind of like a problem and proposed solution) from my international immersion 2) health literacy project to assist international students on campus better understand health information provided to them (this was really cool since English isn't my first language so it felt really good helping someone in this situation)
Female
White
First generation

I would just like any feedback on schools that would be worth applying to. Like I said, I have accepted I will have to retake, but if there is any way to avoid a gap year (family and financial reasons) I would love to try. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you give estimates of the total # of clinical and non clinical volunteering hours you have? Reason I ask is that 150 for each is considered benchmark, so if you’re way above that, then it could obviously help your chances. I’m not super informed on DO programs, but I think your odds would be good for them/shouldn’t need a gap year. MCAT of 503 will be tough for MD.

Also, would you consider yourself socioeconomially disadvantaged? And how many languages do you speak? Both factors could help your chances.

Can you give estimates of the total # of clinical and non clinical volunteering hours you have? Reason I ask is that 150 for each is considered benchmark, so if you’re way above that, then it could obviously help your chances. I’m not super informed on DO programs, but I think your odds would be good for them/shouldn’t need a gap year. MCAT of 503 will be tough for MD.

Also, would you consider yourself socioeconomially disadvantaged? And how many languages do you speak? Both factors could help your chances.
I have around 150 hours of clinical. I guess more if you add in international trips and RAM trips (the trips were around 2 days each). As for non-clinical, I would say around ~100. I would consider myself economically disadvantaged but not a minority, just an immigrant family (I wasn't born in the US either) and I speak 3 languages (Bulgarian, English, Spanish), English not being my first. I knew zero English when I came here at 3

Reactions: 1 user
If you are an Ohio resident it is worth applying to Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED. I also suggest these DO schools:
OU-HCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM