MD WAMC MD/PhD - Should I apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango107

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m having trouble deciding if it would be worth my money to apply this year. This is my first post here so I apologize if I'm doing something wrong.

I’m one of the unfortunate victims of getting my MCAT cancelled 3 times, so I’m scheduled for June 19th. I got 510 on the last FL I took over a month ago, but I’m pretty sure I can get 515+ with how long I’ve been studying and the exam being shortened now. I should get the score back by July 3.

I was pretty set on applying until this happened, but now our app info isn't released to schools until July 10 and I still have to work on essays.

cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.5 MCAT: ~515+

Research: 2 years same lab at my undergrad, 4 poster presentations (1 at ASCB, 2 at school symposiums, 1 at a small conference), 1 small peer-reviewed publication first author (micropublication)
1 SURP with 2 poster presentations (1 at ABRCMS)
about ~1200 hrs total
Pretty meaningful, independent, and great LORs

Clinical: 60 hrs shadowing, 120 hrs volunteering

ECs: ~10,000 violin + college orchestra, ~200 tutoring (chemistry, bio, math, phys), 3 TAships, 50 hrs volunteering at food bank, I also spent a week helping with COVID-19 testing though not sure if I would list this since it was just 8 hrs paid

I'm planning on taking a gap year or two and if I applied next year I would have ~3200 hrs of research total from doing the NIH postbac. And I would have much more money to apply.

One thing I'm considering is applying to a few schools (maybe 5 good fit schools) to see if I can get in with what I have and if I don't get in I would go all out to apply next year. Does anyone know if reapplying in MD/PhD hurts chances at all?

I appreciate any advice, thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Let us know when you get your MCAT back. You need to be sure your score increases by at least 7 points (521 minimum). Your GPA while okay for MD may be lower than desired for MD/PhD. Granted your research profile will improve with the NIH IRTA but you should keep your options for both Ph.D. and M.D./D.O. open. That said, applying for MD/PhD is like applying for all 40 MD/PhD programs. Be mindful that you need to be desirable to everyone for the best shot, and putting up a less than optimal application could work against you.