WAMC - MD School Advice? EC and stats listing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R....

Reaction score
GPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.875

I took several dual credit courses in high school (not knowing they were DCC) in high school that are negatively impacting my GPA. My UG cGPA excluding these credits is a 3.91. My sGPA is currently a 4.0. I am a rising junior.

Background:
I suffer from a significant disability, and have been battling with this disability since 8th grade, and it has fueled me to go into medicine. I am a first generation immigrant, and used to live in a small agricultural village in India until I was 6 years old. It took me 5 years of dealing with symptoms of my disability before finally finding a great doctor (vs all the average ones) that took the time to really talk to me and learn more about my condition through thorough appointments (>1 hr an appointment in the beginning). I aspire to be committed to my patients, similar to how she was committed to me. I am a public health major, and this decision was fueled by my journey to the diagnosis of my condition. I had access to adequate healthcare, and had the ability to see multiple doctors and was extremely lucky. There are many people in this country, and world, who cannot say the same. If it took me 5 years of going through symptoms to reach a good doctor to get diagnosed, I wonder what individuals with the same condition who don’t have access to these resources endure. I would like to make a difference in this community, and the public health major aligned with my goals and motives.

Relevant ECs:

Lot of Public Health Volunteering:(Most was scattered across many organizations ~80 hours)

EMS: Cadet -> First Aider (Provided basic care under supervision of EMT) -> EMT-B
I began as a cadet in senior year of HS and continued as a First Aid provider/3rd after I reached age of 18 until midway through freshman year when my rescue squad shut down. I am now almost done becoming certified as an EMT (Rising Junior). Approximately 350 hours here.

Shadowing:
Family Physicians’ Office (MD and DO in same practice) ~ 40 hours
Gastroenterologist (interest relating to disability) ~ 100 hours shadowing watching scopes, vitals, EMR

Presenter: Educated elderly retired individuals who are interested in lifelong learning and with emphasis on intergenerational learning. I designed and delivered a presentation on opioid abuse and potential for misuse. The presentation was followed by a survey that was used for research.

Research:
High School: TB Antibody research funded by Gates foundation (should I report this in the app?) ~320 hrs

UG:
Freshman Year: Cancer drug stability testing (of 2 newly patented antiangiogenic agents) and development of targeted drug delivery of these drugs

Sophomore Year:
Ophthalmology Drug Research (Manuscript under review by Nature)
Researching CVD knowledge in minority population (Poster & Abstract)
Currently the PI of a study I designed on COVID-19. I designed the project from scratch and am listed as the PI in the IRB I submitted. I have a faculty advisor, for formalities and guidance/advice when necessary. (Unfunded, and in process of obtaining IRB approval) (Most likely will not be done by application time, dependent on course of virus in USA)

Leadership:
Founder and President of American Red Cross Chapter: President for Sophomore and Junior year, coordinate outreach, philanthropic events, hosting blood drives, connecting college students at my school with Red Cross opportunities.

How significant of an impact will the MCAT have on my application? Aiming for a 520+, but my pre-content review baseline is a 502. Expecting to get at least a 515.

My UG is ranked as top 150 :/ (large presence in graduate community, however)

Members don't see this ad.