This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Welcome to the forums.

So I'm guessing you got interviewed at UNLV? If not, where? What feedback did you get about your application when it comes to improving or getting a better shot at an offer?

If you are unable to afford a master's program due to debt, how can you afford dental school? Why would you want to attend school out in the East Coast? How are you identifying as a minority?

Your non-clinical community service is heavily weighted to your faith community without details how you are involved with your community. Those details matter. Not a lot of dental volunteering; I wouldn't consider it significant (less than 50 hours). Hand skills details would also be appreciated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: 06/16
Overall GPA: 3.17
Science GPA: 3.03
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.85
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

1st attempt: AA: 340, PAT: 350, QRT: 330, RCT: 310, BIO: 380, CHEM: 320, OCHEM: 380, SNS: 360 (took this attempt while a family member was in the hospital and we found out they had cancer after battling other problems that directly affected my school/work)
2nd attempt: AA: 400, PAT: 410, QRT: 370, RCT: 410, BIO: 450, CHEM: 390, OCHEM: 380, SNS: 410
State of Residence: NV

Undergrad Attended:
UNLV
Major: General Science
Minor: n/a
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
GP (32 hours), Shadow a dental student (8 hours),
Volunteering Experience: Church (385 hours in the span of a couple years), Give kids a smile (7 hours), Dental free clinic (12 hours),
Employment: DA for mainly GP, but also includes some ortho, OS, hygiene (4,258 hours), DA for Peds (3,256 hours)
Research: n/a
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-dental society president, vp, and secretary for my uni (1,305 hours), president, vp for another organization for my uni non-dental (840 hours)
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes ALOT!, shadow a dental student, radiology, amalgam, composite workshops, give kids a smile, extern for the GPR program, dentistry courses that were offered for credit on the dental school campus.
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans honor list
LOR type and strength: 2 sci professors (ok), 2 pediatric dentists (1 great, 1 very good!)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: had many familial issues which affected my undergrad dips in grades (dental school director of adm at unlv knows everything), I also want to note that I am currently taking 10 credits while working 40+ hours a week as a DA. I have an upwards trend. Last semester I took biochem and got an A- (9 total credits for spring 2026 semester w/biochem and still continuing to work full time as a DA). I want to add that I am unable to afford a masters due to debt and having to support my family so I am doing 10 credits to hopefully raise my overall to a 3.22 and sci to a 3.11). I have met with adm many times at my state school. Last year I submitted in Aug (was not finalized until second week of Nov due to DAT retake. Received interview in jan and got waitlisted. Rejected last week of aug.) I am planned to receive my B.S. in dec 2026.
School list:
MOSDOH
LECOM
Lyon
LLU (I have a good spiritual letter)
NYU
Touro
UDM
UNLV
UNE
Highpoint
Thinking about submitting to larkin?
how many schools did you apply to last cycle?
did you receive any other interviews?

have you received any interviews/casper/kira this cycle?

how did you come up with this list?
 
how many schools did you apply to last cycle?
did you receive any other interviews?

have you received any interviews/casper/kira this cycle?

how did you come up with this list?
Last cycle I applied very late in August, but wasn’t considered finalized and ready for adm review until about 2nd week of November. I applied to 10 schools. Received a Kira from USC and UNLV in Jan. Then I did the in person for UNLV.

This cycle I have done the high point Kira, and NYU Kira so far.

I came up with this list based on DAT booster stats/programs that had holistic admissions.
 
Last cycle I applied very late in August, but wasn’t considered finalized and ready for adm review until about 2nd week of November. I applied to 10 schools. Received a Kira from USC and UNLV in Jan. Then I did the in person for UNLV.

This cycle I have done the high point Kira, and NYU Kira so far.

I came up with this list based on DAT booster stats/programs that had holistic admissions.
ok, thanks
why didn't you apply to west coast/mountain privates?
or even central?
you get interview invites and acceptances by having mission fit with a program, and to a lesser extent, geography plays a role
stats/holistic is not mission fit...
 
Do you have any recommendations? I was just thinking that many of the cali schools won't consider my app. Also do you have any advice for unlv next steps?
i recommend you research and apply to west coast/mountain and even central private schools that you have mission fit with...

since you are close with admissions at unlv, you would know better than i what you should do for unlv
but i don't understand why you haven/t been in touch with them since your last cycle...
 
At some point, I would like you to discuss your BCP performance. It's great you improved on your DAT, but a test is not a full examination of your science understanding, and still being below 3.0 remains a huge challenge. If UNLV didn't raise questions about it during your interview or in any follow-up, they aren't helping you by telling you specifically where the main problem could be. By redacting your information, you close the door to that conversation and lead future people to think you were perfectly fine with 4.0's (because what else can we assume).

You mention you wouldn't want to pursue an SMP because of the costs, but if getting a 3.8+ GPA in an SMP would be the only way you could get into dental school in spite of the $60K/year cost, would you take it?

With your metrics, I would be extremely surprised if you earned a merit scholarship. Your family's and personal finances may help with need-based aid (with a FAFSA), but your metrics would keep you as a low-priority waitlist applicant. That's why mission fit is extremely important; it won't override concerns about your academics, but if you truly represent a community in desperate need of oral health care, then your application may be in a better position. But getting off a waitlist with your metrics would be extremely challenging for the adminstrator bean-counters who want to keep pushing up GPA/DAT numbers for future applicants.

As it stands, I suspect admissions committee members see you thriving in your DA/DH role but not necessarily handle the hard oral medical topics you would get in dental school.