WAMC: Non-trad, cGPA 3.68, MCAT 511, non-linear path to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontradthrowaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am a non-traditional (32 years old), applying this cycle for MD and DO and trying to get a sense of how competitive my application will be for my tentative school list. I would GREATLY appreciate if I could get some insight on what schools I should really focus on applying for my background.

1. cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.66
  2. MCAT: 511 C/P(128), CARS(124), B/B(129), P/S(130) (Retake from 500 while working full time)
  3. Massachusetts
  4. White
  5. UMass graduated in 2015
  6. ~3800 combined hours as medical scribe in the ER (2 years) and dermatology (1 year) clinic ~ 3000 hours lab tech in a CLIA genetics testing laboratory
  7. ~50 hours clinical volunteering in ER as patient transporter
  8. ~500 hours in a undergraduate biochemistry lab, no publications, with 1 poster presentation
  9. 8 hours shadowing MD geneticist and 8 hours surgery
  10. Participated in fund raising event for abused children, volunteered at college tutoring center reviewing English papers and tutoring biology
  11. Non-linear path to medicine, dropped out of community college at 19 and worked manual labor jobs before becoming inspired to pursue medicine 23. I enrolled in a local community college for my pre-reqs, transferred to state university, and since graduating in 2015, been exploring the healthcare field and getting different perspectives on medicine. I have decided to fully commit to becoming a physician after working in a laboratory as a tech.
  12. A few community college scholarships but nothing significant
  13. My personal statement focuses on the origins of my desire to become a physician using a significant tragedy in my early life as a catalyst for self exploration and growth, and demonstrates resilience and commitment to my dream of medicine. The few concerns that I have with my application is the relative lack of extracurricular/community based volunteering as well as shadowing other fields. For medical schools, my first choice is UMass med, but I understand it's a long shot. Otherwise, I want a school where I can utilize my background in laboratory science in a research project because I am interested in clinical work, teaching, and research. After reviewing the MSAR, it seemed like all the research heavy schools had significantly higher MCATs and GPAs, so insight on some schools that I may have missed would be really appreciated!
Tentative school list:

UMass Medical School
Geisel medical school at Dartmouth
TUFTS MEDICAL SCHOOL
ROBERT LARNER UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT MEDICAL SCHOOL
New York Medical College
Drexel School of Medicine in Pennsylvania
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine Scranton
Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Albany Med
Rowan
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

DO:

Pacific Northwest University COM
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
University of New England COM
New York Institute of Technology COM

Members don't see this ad.

Schools such as Rowan, Central Michigan, Michigan State accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest adding these MD schools:
Boston University
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
TCU-UNT (new school)
Kaiser