WAMC of getting into UMass Medical School? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1245

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.92. sGPA: 3.84. MCAT: 509 (126/128/126/129). ORM MA resident. Graduated in 1/2021. I will be applying this year, to start med school in fall 2022 (hopefully)

ECs:
  1. Helped start and run a nonprofit (linked to my religious organization that I have been a part of since I was a child) that teaches meditation and yoga. Primarily based in India, but I played a major role in organizing events (virtual and in-person) across the US. Major teamwork, organization, and coordination work. The US nonprofit no longer exists (due to the main organizer having to return to India), but the Indian branch is still running. I still volunteer with them. ~300 hours.
  2. Volunteered at UMass for 2 years (EM & FM). ~200 hours
  3. Member of a club in University that provided healthcare screenings at public health events. I would primarily measure and interpret the blood pressure and blood sugar levels of people at free community health screenings and fast-paced, high-traffic environments such as college fairs. ~80 hours
  4. Student lab assistant in a spinal cord injury research lab. ~73 hours
  5. Research Assistant at a Psych Lab for 2 years. No pubs. 1 poster presentation. ~350 hours.
  6. Volunteered at a soup kitchen. ~70 hours
  7. Shadowed an EM physician. ~30 hours.
  8. Teaching Intern for General Chemistry during my sophomore year.
  9. Peer leader. Taught a 1-credit introductory course for international students for 1 semester.
  10. Volunteered at a Covid vaccine help website that helps primarily the elderly and the tech-challenged MA residents secure vaccine appointments. ~20 hours so far.
  11. Medical scribe. ~40 hours so far.
  12. An employee of a company that teaches coding to schoolchildren across the US. I teach Javascript and HTML to kids aged 8-12+ virtually and in-person and help them design apps for non-profits such as cancer charities. ~20 hours so far.

The last three activities were started this year. I intend to continue with scribing and teaching code for at least one more year.

I am worried about my MCAT score. MSAR says 510 is the 10th percentile for accepted students, so I'm not sure if I'll get in, but UMass is my absolute top choice. I'm scheduled for a retake in 2 weeks but I'm not sure how much I can improve my score by then.

Am I totally doomed (especially since I've heard of students with much higher MCAT scores getting rejected from UMASS last year) or is there a chance of me getting accepted?

Other schools to add to my list will also be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your ECs seem weak.

Getting accepted is 100% on you, we can only advise on chances of getting interviews.

Thank you for replying. Can you let me know where I'm lacking with my ECs? And what my chances are of getting an interview with these stats?

I also added these two ECs to my list (which I had previously forgotten to mention):
  • Teaching Intern for General Chemistry during my sophomore year.
  • Peer leader.:Taught a 1-credit introductory course for international students for 1 semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get in more service to others less fortunate than yourself. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Clinical ECs are OK

Being at < 10th %ile is not a good spot to be, but all IS applicants had a 50% chance of getting an II.

Do not depend on one school for an acceptance. Apply broadly and I suggest all these:
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington