MD WAMC pre-mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishzebra

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I haven't taken the MCAT yet (taking it april 5) and don't have a great gauge on my score yet. Looking to see what kind of MCAT score might make me competitive at mid- to high-tier schools like northwestern, cornell, mt sinai, BU, SUNY downstate, loyola stritch, UIC, rush. Also seeking advice on other places to improve before I apply on June 1.

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.96
sGPA: 3.90
Home University: large midwestern private catholic
ORM (white female), NY resident

Volunteering:
Clinical: ~200 by time of app
Non-clinical: 180 (90 teaching literacy to kids, 90 at local shelter)

Shadowing:
25 hours shadowing family doc

Research: 400 in zebrafish research
Pubs: 1 in review, 3rd author (not from primary lab, from a project done in an orgo lab for class), maybe one more from my zfish lab

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I haven't taken the MCAT yet (taking it april 5) and don't have a great gauge on my score yet. Looking to see what kind of MCAT score might make me competitive at mid- to high-tier schools like northwestern, cornell, mt sinai, BU, SUNY downstate, loyola stritch, UIC, rush. Also seeking advice on other places to improve before I apply on June 1.

Here are my stats:

Volunteering:

Shadowing:

Pubs: 1 in review, 3rd author (not from primary lab, from a project done in an orgo lab for class), maybe one more from my zfish lab

It’s hard to gauge what your chances are without taking the MCAT first. 508-515 would give you a great shot at the latter four schools you mentioned. Probably need 517+ to be competitive for the first four.

I would also recommend trying to shadow another specialty and gaining more clinical experience before applying, however one of the adcoms may have a better input in this regard @Goro

Reactions: 1 user

Here are my stats:

Volunteering:

Shadowing:

Double your shadowing time and add in more service to others.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Double your shadowing time and add in more service to others.
Thank you, Goro! Noted on the shadowing. Is there any specific specialty that you recommend?

Regarding the service- how many more hours do you think I need? And should the hours be clinical or non-clinical?

Thank you, Goro! Noted on the shadowing. Is there any specific specialty that you recommend?

Regarding the service- how many more hours do you think I need? And should the hours be clinical or non-clinical?
If you're aiming high, double the service hours.

For shadowing, whatever interests you.

Reactions: 1 user