WAMC premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docman786

Reaction score
27yo Asian male
cgpa: 3.25
sgpa: 3.4
Many Cs in first 2 years of undergrad
Masters: 3.48 (got a C in gross anatomy) deal breaker?
Hypothetical MCAT: 508

1st gen college student
Clinical research experience: +3000 hours
Fire/EMS: 3.5 years/ +3000 hours
Published: EMS and military medicine research
Shadowing - trauma surgery: 50hr
Emergency medicine: +3000hr
Neurology: 250hr
Internal med: 100hr
Neurosurgery: 25hr
Family med: 100hr
Leadership: lead at work level 1 trauma center, Fire lieutenant, founder of org in undergrad, mentor for undergrad students, treasurer and secretary of hosa
volunteer experience: +3000hr

haven’t taken MCAT yet and am a Texas resident.

can I also please get a schools list I should apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
27yo Asian male

1st gen college student
Leadership: lead at work level 1 trauma center, Fire lieutenant, founder of org in undergrad, mentor for undergrad students, treasurer and secretary of hosa

Almost everyone will tell you that there's no way to chance you without an MCAT score.

Reactions: 3 users
What @star-lily said. Your GPAs are low for MD. They might be okay for DO. To add another layer, your Grad GPA is low too. Usually grad GPAs are much higher. DO schools do consider grad GPA, MD schools really don’t. Nobody can give you a list of schools without the MCAT . So come back to this thread when you get it and people will be glad to help you out. But don’t take the exam until you are scoring at or above your target goal on FL practice tests. You only want to take the MCAT one time.

Now some questions:

1). Do you have any nonclinical volunteering hours? This is service to those less fortune than your self-the unserved/underserved in your community. You need at least 150 hours of this volunteering.

2) What is this:

Is it shadowing, clinical volunteering, whatever? I really can’t tell from the way you have it posted. If it’s shadowing STOP it now. You only need 50 hours. Use the time to get nonclinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in a hospital and those are shadow hours because I observe many of them while on the job and sometimes even just hang there in different departments. I have +1000 nonclinical volunteer hours gardening and growing fruits/veggies then passing them to those who need food.

Is the grad gpa really so low that I won’t get luck? Should I take more classes or something to increase the GPA? Should I retake that gross anatomy I got a C in?

I didn’t say you wouldn’t get in. I said Your GPAS ARE low for MD schools and they are. Especially the sGPA. The average cGPA for med school matriculates is 3.71 and sGPA is 3.64. And these averages go up every year. So you can see your GPAs are well below average. And you didn’t do much better in your grad program. You haven’t done anything to convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. But you might be okay for DO schools, although those scores are rising every year too. Maybe the MCAT will clear things up.

So in other words you are double dipping with the shadowing. You may get questions about those numbers. They really seem fake. I mean 3,475 shadowing hours?

Do you keep real numbers of your activities or are they guesstimates? You just seem to have thousands of hours in everything .

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t say you wouldn’t get in. I said Your GPAS ARE low for MD schools and they are. Especially the sGPA. The average cGPA for med school matriculates is 3.71 and sGPA is 3.64. And these averages go up every year. So you can see your GPAs are well below average. And you didn’t do much better in your grad program. You haven’t done anything to convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. But you might be okay for DO schools, although those scores are rising every year too. Maybe the MCAT will clear things up.

So in other words you are double dipping with the shadowing. You may get questions about those numbers. They really seem fake. I mean 3,475 shadowing hours?

Do you keep real numbers of your activities or are they guesstimates? You just seem to have thousands of hours in everything .

i’d be more than happy if anyone asks for proof. I’d call the Attending’s who I’ve shadowed and have them speak it themselves. Yes I’m double dipping which is allowed per med schools. Also if it seems unrealistic take into consideration I’ve been working full time for 9 years and 64 hours a week for the past 4 years lol. While being in school full time for most of it.

I understand my GPAs are low but it is what it is. If I need to I’ll take more classes and bring it up. It’s scary how high these scores are becoming

You could receive interviews at your Texas MD schools if your MCAT is at least 508. Post your actual MCAT score here in the future.

27yo Asian male
Hypothetical MCAT: 508

1st gen college student

We don't do hypotheticals. Come back with an MCAT score and then we can help.

Yes I’m double dipping which is allowed per med schools. Also if it seems unrealistic take into consideration I’ve been working full time for 9 years and 64 hours a week for the past 4 years lol. While being in school full time for most of it.

Lol, double-dipping does not mean you can say
  • I worked for 4000 hours
  • while I was working I shadowed for 2000 hours
You have to pick. If it was 4000 hours of work, but you want to count 2000 of it towards shadowing you can do that, but then you have to say you only worked for 2000 hours. Does that make sense? Double-dipping means you can split the hours of a single experience between two different categories, not that you can count the hours twice.

Lol, double-dipping does not mean you can say
  • I worked for 4000 hours
  • while I was working I shadowed for 2000 hours
You have to pick. If it was 4000 hours of work, but you want to count 2000 of it towards shadowing you can do that, but then you have to say you only worked for 2000 hours. Does that make sense? Double-dipping means you can split the hours of a single experience between two different categories, not that you can count the hours twice.
The UTMB adcom said that this is allowed though. You can put experiences under multiple things.

The UTMB adcom said that this is allowed though. You can put experiences under multiple things.

Ok, let me break it down:
  • 4000 hours worked at hospital A, being paid for job X
  • 2000 hours of that you shadowed, and you want to include this time as shadowing
The following is allowed:
  • 2000 hours worked at hospital A, for job X
  • 2000 hours shadowing
OR:
  • 4000 hours worked
  • 0 hours shadowing
The following is NOT allowed because you are giving 6000 hours of activity when only 4000 hours of your life passed by:
  • 4000 hours worked
  • 2000 hours shadowing

I have +1000 nonclinical volunteer hours gardening and growing fruits/veggies then passing them to those who need food.

You will need someone to be able to vouch for this. If you donated your produce to a food bank, for example, make sure the receiving team is keeping records of this. It’s going to look sketchy if it’s just your self-report.

Reactions: 1 users
You will need someone to be able to vouch for this. If you donated your produce to a food bank, for example, make sure the receiving team is keeping records of this. It’s going to look sketchy if it’s just your self-report.

I sure do have that proof cause the land we do it on is owned by an adcom member who is also a physician and can prove it all and so can the mayor of Houston lol

I sure do have that proof cause the land we do it on is owned by an adcom member who is also a physician and can prove it all and so can the mayor of Houston lol
You know, you asked for help here. People have given it and you respond in a very condescending way. You seem to think you have all of the answers so why did you post in the first place? Good luck on your application cycle.

Well if both an adcom and Sylvester Turner can be listed as your contacts for this activity on your AMCAS and TMDSAS, then you’re fine. You will need to provide their contact information, so hopefully you’ve got Mayor Turner’s cell phone number.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You know, you asked for help here. People have given it and you respond in a very condescending way. You seem to think you have all of the answers so why did you post in the first place? Good luck on your application cycle.

i apologize if it sounds condescending but I definitely don’t mean to sound that way. There is a lot of doubt in this community from what I have observed. Individuals don’t quite believe when you say what experiences and EC you have as if many applicants fabricate. I would never fabricate or falsify any of my work because that’s unethical and unfair to others who have put in time and work. once again my apologies if the text seems condescending.