WAMC/School list 3.87cGPA 508 MCAT CO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mileyrocks

Reaction score
Indian/Bangladeshi Female
Major: Molecular Biology with music minor and Public Health Certificate
Undergrad Institution: University of Colorado Boulder
GPA: 3.87
MCAT: 508 (130/127/126/125) :(
Research: very strong. 1000 hrs in 5 years in a total of 3 labs. 4 poster sessions. Received grants. 2 publications in Nature and Jove.
Clinical: strong. 500 hrs as a clinical technician in an optometry office. Will keep working here during gap year.
Shadowing: weak. 60 hrs of shadowing an OBGYN, PA and nurse
Volunteering: strong. 300 hrs in hospitals and resource center for low income families
Extracurriculars: resident advisor, tutor, Alpha Epsilon Delta, violin/orchestra
Honors: Dean's List every semester, graduated with distinction

I know my MCAT score is weak, but I want to try applying this cycle-- here is my tentative school list (I'm going to apply to some DO schools as well):

University of Illinois
Drexel
Colorado
Medical College of Wisconsin
Creighton
Tulane
Oregon Health and Science
Rush
Loyola
Univ of Arkansas
Univ of Kansas
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Northeast Ohio
Jacobs Buffalo
Florida State
Wright State
Univ Arizona Tuscon

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing hours should be with a physician. Do not count the time with a PA or nurse.

Your list contains a majority of schools that take few to no OOS students without ties. Rush looks for many more hours of clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering. I suggest:

Drexel
Temple
Colorado
Medical College of Wisconsin
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Vermont
Nova MD
TCU
Penn State
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Albany
Oakland
Wayne State

For DO, I suggest:

AZCOM (high tuition fyi)
Touro NV
Touro CA
Touro NY
NYITCOM
DMU
PCOM
KCU
KCOM
Marian

Thank you! What constitutes as having ties? I have family in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and California and my parents are from Chicago and Mississippi. I also lived in Texas for 10 years. Does this mean I have a better chance of getting into schools in those states?

Thank you! What constitutes as having ties? I have family in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and California and my parents are from Chicago and Mississippi. I also lived in Texas for 10 years. Does this mean I have a better chance of getting into schools in those states?
Having ties meaning you attended high school or undergrad there. Otherwise, your application is essentially a donation to those public schools. Growing up in Texas for 10 years could work if you just left for college, but it seems you are an OOS student now and Texas schools are 90% in-state. The remaining 10% largely have higher stats. It may help a little with TCU.

Last edited: