MD WAMC/School list for International/URM/3.98/514

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeezibot

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am planning on applying next cycle. Just want a second opinion of my school list or if there are any schools I should add or remove.

Came to the US from Australia on a D1 sports scholarship, competed for all four years as well as overseas at a professional level for a summer.

Currently doing my MS in Biology. Kinda stressed about my chances, I know my hours in some areas need to get up but I am working on it now.

Am planning to try and get an employment based green card after I graduate from my masters, but can't say when that would be approved. My MCAT expires at most schools in 2025.

Heres my stats!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.98

sGPA: 3.95 (or thereabouts, the only grade i ever got in undergrad below an A was a B+ in a bio lab and an A- in ochem II)
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
514 (128, 125, 129, 132)
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Australian citizen, lived in NC for 5 years
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
URM (Black - somebody plz tell me if this counts since I am international)
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Small private university
BS - Biology, Chemistry minor
MS - (in progress) Thesis based in biology (NGS focus)
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
< 50 hours, 200+ Projected - volunteering in the ER at hospital (recently started, this is projected to be a lot more by next year when I apply)
  1. Research experience and productivity
2000+ hours from my thesis project (Again projected since I haven't finished my masters)
1 mid author review already published. Likely one more pub coming by the time I graduate

320 hours interning in Research and Development at a pharmaceutical company again doing NGS things (Projected as I'm in my internship now)
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Currently none (aside from some shadowing I note I get to do when volunteering when some docs let me shadow them doing minor procedures) but I have shadowing at an ENT lined up for this upcoming school year
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
N/A
  1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Division 1 athlete captain for 2 years (our school was DII, but my sport doesn't have a DII so we were DI by default)
Represented my country playing overseas in Europe during a pre-olympic tournament
Multiple athletic awards over the years
TA ship for intro biology labs for this past year, as well as next year (approx 180 hours currently spent teaching)
  1. Relevant honors or awards
God knows how many player of the week/month athletic awards
School and external organization scholar athlete of the year
All american honorable mention (So close to being an actual all american but we move)
Summa Cum Laude
Truly not trying to brag but theres a lot of awards I'm leaving out
Multiple presidents/deans lists
  1. Anything else not listed you think might be important
I've lived in the US for 5 years and have no intention of living at home, most of my motivation for staying in the country is culturally motivated. A bit difficult to explain but I can try and elaborate in future.

This is my current school list in order of schools who matriculated the most internationals at the top. I am aware that some schools toward the bottom only matriculated few if any

Would consider DO schools just haven't had the time to investigate as of yet.

Case Western
Illinois
Stanford
Tulane
Emory
Wayne State
Saint Louis
Dartmouth
UCLA
TCU
Mt Sinai
Sidney Kimmel
------------------ schools below here matriculated <= 4 international students
Colorado
UVA
UPitt
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
West Virginia
Cornell
Boston University
UC Davis
Duke
NYU Long Island
Brown
UCONN
Hawaii
Northwestern Feinberg
Rutgers NJ
Chapel Hill
South Alabama

Members don't see this ad.

With less than 50 hours of clinical volunteering, no shadowing and no clinical volunteering you will not be admitted to any US MD schools as an international applicant this year. In the coming year, you should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing, 200+ hours of clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact, and 200+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc,). If you accumulate those hours I suggest these schools when you apply a year from now.
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
George Washington
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
St. Louis
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
UCLA
For DO schools you could try these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN

Reactions: 1 user
With less than 50 hours of clinical volunteering, no shadowing and no clinical volunteering you will not be admitted to any US MD schools as an international applicant this year. In the coming year, you should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing, 200+ hours of clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact, and 200+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc,). If you accumulate those hours I suggest these schools when you apply a year from now.
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
George Washington
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
St. Louis
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
UCLA
For DO schools you could try these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN
Thanks! I wasn't planning on applying this year anyway. In terms of non-clinical volunteering, my schedule right now is super busy. I work 5 days a week and volunteer at the hospital on the weekend, what is a more realistic number for non-clinical volunteering that I can aim for by next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I wasn't planning on applying this year anyway. In terms of non-clinical volunteering, my schedule right now is super busy. I work 5 days a week and volunteer at the hospital on the weekend, what is a more realistic number for non-clinical volunteering that I can aim for by next year?
You need 150 hours to avoid being screened out at some schools.

You need 150 hours to avoid being screened out at some schools.
Okay thanks for letting me know, I will try and get this underway then. Assuming I get all of these checked off, do you think I have a shot at those schools on the list you provided?

I also would consider waiting until your green card comes through. I know that would be very frustrating, but you do present an attractive application if you get the hours in. You can apply to many more schools once you get permanent residency.

I also would consider waiting until your green card comes through. I know that would be very frustrating, but you do present an attractive application if you get the hours in. You can apply to many more schools once you get permanent residency.
Yes I’ll admit this process has made me realize even more how fortunate you are to be a citizen. Admittedly it won’t be as hard to get a GC since I’m from a country where there aren’t many migrants to the US. The only problem with waiting is that my MCAT may expire. I sat in August 2022. Some people have fast GC turnaround, others it may take years. I will be working while applying through 2024 and 2025 if need be, so I don’t mind attempting multiple cycles