- Apr 27, 2021
- Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
You had a few donations on the list; but applying late doesn't seem to be as bad a strike as people think for a reapplicant.Thanks for the help in advance! I guess I'd like some reassurance that I can make it and an idea of what schools I should ideally apply for.
- State/Country of Residence: CA
- URM? (Y/N): No, Asian ORM female
- Year in School: Graduated 2020, finishing 1st gap year
- Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Top CA public undergrad, Biology/research minor
- Cumulative GPA: 3.90
- Science GPA: 3.87
- MCAT Score(s): 514 (126/129/130/139)
- Research Experience:
- 1.5 years or ~1000 hours working in a microbiology lab at my university for credit
- ~400 hours working in a evolution lab for as a summer intern, later retained as a research assistant
- Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.):
- no publications (1 abstract in undergraduate research journal)
- 4 poster presentations, 1st author on all
- 1 live presentation --> won research award for presentation
- Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
- ~200 hours as a volunteer at nearby free clinic, helping with rooming patients and handling all paperwork. I was the main clinical support for 3 years.
- ~ 250 hours as a volunteer at major hospital, working in various in-patient specialty units
- ~ 600 hours scribing for internal medicine during gap year
- Physician Shadowing: ~60 hours (internal medicine, pulmonology, cardiology)
- Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~600 hours total
- ~300 hours as a volunteer manager for pre-med organization store
- ~400 hours as Crisis Text Line counselor for texters in mental crises
- Other Extracurricular Activities:
- 2 years in science communication
- published articles making difficult science articles easier to understand
- Editor in Chief for research club publication
- Hobby - making complex polyhedrons from paper
- Other Employment History:
- ~150 hours as biology TA
- Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No
- Specialty of Interest (if applicable): everything! But especially pyschiatry and/or pulmonology
- Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Yes
- Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Sure
- Medical School List:
- I applied late last year (complete NOV/DEC, not Oct) and got post secondary R from the following: Einstein, Albany, CNU, California U, Creighton, EVMS, Quinnipiac, Geisinger, HMS, Indiana, MC Wisonsin, Oakland, Penn State, SUNY, UCLA, UCR, Toledo, USF Morsani, Wayne State, U Maryland.
- Given that I'll be a re-applicant at these schools, could you give me an idea of where I should try to apply this time around?
Yes.Okay thank you very much! I really appreciate it. Do you think I have a decent chance at these schools even as a re-applicant?