WAMC/School List Help - 508, 3.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justanotherlostpremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
  1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.9/3.9
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Attempt 1 - 508 - 128/127/127/126. Attempt 2 - June 27
  3. State of residence: NC
  4. ORM - South Asian
  5. Low Tier Undergrad, mostly commuter school, still 40k students.
  6. Clinical experience - Non Volunteer - 1200 Hrs
  7. Research experience - Project 1 (Bio) - 1000 Hrs - 6 posters / Project 2 (bio)- 480 hrs - 2 Posters / Project 3 (Pub health)- 40 Hrs, 1 Pub.
  8. Shadowing experience - Oncology/Pathology/Ortho - 120 Hrs, 8 Hrs, 20 Hrs
  9. Non-clinical volunteering - Hospital admin - 150 Hrs, Tutor/Teaching - 380 Hrs
  10. Other extracurricular activities - Club lead - 100 hrs.
  11. Graduated dual honors with thesis. Some ties to FL

Current school list - IDK what I am doing here, any feedback is helpful :)

1. UNC School of Medicine
    Nova Southeastern
    Florida State University
    Wake Forest
    University of Miami
    Georgetown University
    Tufts University
    George Washington University
    Jefferson University
    University of Vermont
    Virginia Commomwealth
    Temple University
    Wayne State University
    Hackensack Meridian
    Saint Louis University
    Drexel University
    Eastern Virginia
    New York Medical College
    Tulane University
    Penn State University
    Creighton University
    Rosalind Franklin
    Quinnipiac University
    Oakland University
    Albany Medical College
    Medical COllege of Wisconson
    Rush University
    Loyola University (Stritch)
    University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
    Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
    University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
    University of South Dakota, Sanford School of Medicine
    University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine

Thank you for looking!

Members don't see this ad.

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Rush,
Georgetown and Loyola expect far more non clinical volunteering than you have. I suggest these schools from your list:
UNC School of Medicine
Nova Southeastern
George Washington University
Jefferson University
University of Vermont
Virginia Commomwealth
Temple University
Wayne State University
Hackensack Meridian
Saint Louis University
Drexel University
Eastern Virginia
New York Medical College
Tulane University
Penn State University
Creighton University
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac University
Oakland University
Albany Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin
You could add these schools:
Belmont
TCU
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
Post your new MCAT score here when available and you may be able to add more schools.

Let us know when your new MCAT scores are posted.

Details also help. When did you graduate?

What did you do for 1200 hours of "non-volunteer" clinical experience? Is there any primary care exposure?

I don't see any service orientation activities, and 380 hours of tutoring does not qualify in this area. Activities that do include food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation. Medical schools usually exclude applications with fewer than 150 hours in this area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let us know when your new MCAT scores are posted.

Details also help. When did you graduate?

What did you do for 1200 hours of "non-volunteer" clinical experience? Is there any primary care exposure?

I don't see any service orientation activities, and 380 hours of tutoring does not qualify in this area. Activities that do include food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation. Medical schools usually exclude applications with fewer than 150 hours in this area.
I graduated 2 weeks ago. I am a CNA, and have been working since early 2022. I did some primary care shadowing in high school, then found oncology and fell in love with it - my app shows a clear bias towards cancer care. Good/Bad? I am not sure. But at this moment I do not have any recent primary care work.

As for service orientation, I have probably done some 40 hours of the activities you listed. However, they would be spread out over multiple activities are inconsistent. I have not listed this on my app for this reason.

Is there anything I can do at this point to help me?

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated 2 weeks ago. I am a CNA, and have been working since early 2022. I did some primary care shadowing in high school, then found oncology and fell in love with it - my app shows a clear bias towards cancer care. Good/Bad? I am not sure. But at this moment I do not have any recent primary care work.

As for service orientation, I have probably done some 40 hours of the activities you listed. However, they would be spread out over multiple activities are inconsistent. I have not listed this on my app for this reason.

Is there anything I can do at this point to help me?
IMO, the more important deficiency is your lack of consistent service orientation activities. Now that you are out of school, what do you plan to do? Activities typically include food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Most schools look for applicants with at least 150 hours documented in their application (not future hours), though many schools will select candidates with a higher number of hours depending on their mission or the competitiveness of their applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, the more important deficiency is your lack of consistent service orientation activities. Now that you are out of school, what do you plan to do? Activities typically include food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Most schools look for applicants with at least 150 hours documented in their application (not future hours), though many schools will select candidates with a higher number of hours depending on their mission or the competitiveness of their applicant pool.
I do not have any form plans outside of studying for my second MCAT attempt at the end of June. I was planning on just working a 9-5 or staying a cna, while trying to do more public health work. I totally can find a service oriented activity during this time. But I'd assume I need to get some traction on my primary app for any work I do going forward to be worth anything this cycle.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do?