WAMC/school list help, low gpa/high mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cocobutter67

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I was curious for guidance on curating a school list for the upcoming!

Background: queer, asian, male, Ohio resident

Undergrad: Neuroscience @ T20

cGPA: 3.43 with upward trend

sGPA: 3.41 with upward trend

MCAT: 510 (129/127/127/127) --> predicted 520ish based on FLs this month (131/128/131/130)

Clinical experiences: 1100+ hrs. as CNA, 1840 hrs. full-time ophthalmic tech.

Research: 200 hrs. volunteer undergrad lab assistant, 1300 hrs. gap year full time immunology/ophtho basic science research at T10 MD school at time of application (additional 2240 hrs. by matriculation as I'll be staying here through the rest of my gap years, no pubs or posters at time of application but soon to be published as contributing author)

Teaching: 150+ hrs. physics tutor at university

Non-science/clinical volunteering: financially challenged so I could not do a ton of volunteering in college, did about 50 inconsistent hours of crisis hotline volunteering sophomore year

Shadowing: 35 hrs. psych PA, 20 hrs. medical optometry, 5 hrs. rheumatology, 40 hrs. ophthalmology

LORs: 3 science profs, 2 physicians (including PI)

Thank you!!
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Suffice to say, your non-clinical volunteering is going to make it very difficult, regardless of a high MCAT. I don't get a sense of your purpose as a physician that will argue for mission fit. As you are on a gap year, you should have set aside a regular time to do service orientation activities.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Post your new score here when available and I can suggest schools.
Sounds good thank you! I really would like to start volunteering a food bank/homeless shelter now that I am a bit more financially secure with a steady income. Should I start now with the cycle coming up, or would that be a red flag and look like I am just trying to do it for hours?
 
Sounds good thank you! I really would like to start volunteering a food bank/homeless shelter now that I am a bit more financially secure with a steady income. Should I start now with the cycle coming up, or would that be a red flag and look like I am just trying to do it for hours?
Start now and accumulate as many hours as possible (ideally 150+) before you submit your application. You should probably wait until your new MCAT score is available before you submit your application.