WAMC+ School List Help (Low MCAT/High GPA)

Started by nyc145
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nyc145

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. cGPA 3.85
2. 505 (126/126/124/129) --> 507 (126/126/127/128) I am supposed to retake 4/10 but am seriously contemplating not anymore. My FL retakes are not above 510 and I think a third retake around the same range would be more detrimental. Open to any feedback or advice tho!
3. NJ
4. Asian
5. University of Pittsburgh
6. EMT paid (gap year job too so more projected hrs 500+); Service trip (40); International "internship" (worked in a hospital abroad- 150); ER Volunteer (40)
7. Neurosurgery lab (directly working with patients and physicians through clinical lab) -> no pubs but working on paper; Psychology lab (more online data combing); 500+ total
8. Neurosurgery and Cardiology- 80
9. English classes for immigrants and refugees (50); helping build sustainable development for a rural international village (unsure about how to calculate hours because it was through a club); tutor for elementary/middle school kids (since HS); dance instructor (since HS)
10. Captain of dance team (3 years on team); VP for volunteer club above (2 years but in club for 4); TA for Biochem and Human Phys (2 sems); Service committee chair for student ran dance competition (2 years);
11. N/A
12. Speak 2 languages; 2 very strong LOR from a doctor and professor that have ties to Pitt Med

I am honestly really worried about my MCAT and don't know what my chances are looking like. I would like to go to an MD school due to the competitive nature of the specialty I am hoping to go into. However, I am also open to DO schools. Any insight on what I could work on between now and application submissions would be much appreciated!

(Very) Comprehensive List:

Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Drexel University College of Medicine
Temple University (Lewis Katz School of Medicine)
Jefferson (Sidney Kimmel Medical College)
Penn State College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin University Chicago Medical School
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine
Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College


Rowan-Virtua School of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (NY)
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (NJ)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Seton Hill)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Elmira)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-VA)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Carolinas)
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine
 
Last edited:
Your main weakness is not your MCAT but rather your lack of non clinical volunteering. Most schools are looking for activities besides teaching and tutoring (Rush, St. Louis, Creighton, Loyola and Georgetown are looking for applicants with many hundreds of hours of non clinical volunteering). If possible, accumulate 150+ hours in an activity such as food bank or homeless shelter before you submit your application. You have a good DO list.
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Drexel University College of Medicine
Temple University (Lewis Katz School of Medicine)
Jefferson (Sidney Kimmel Medical College)
Penn State College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin University Chicago Medical School
University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine
Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Ponce (St. Louis)
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Belmont
Methodist
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
 
I would not retake the MCAT if you haven't shown a +10 improvement on practices vs. your last score. Most schools average your scores when screening your application, even if they might consider your most recent or your best score later on.

You have lots of teaching/tutoring/mentoring, even through your dance hobby. While the people you have served have been underresourced, your service orientation activities do not seem to exist (as mentioned above: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, housing rehabilitation), and your file is at high risk of getting screened out at most schools.

Network with local schools. Duquesne and LECOM are closest to you if you are still at Pitt. You can talk with Rowan DO, PCOM, and NYCOM if you are back in New Jersey.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your main weakness is not your MCAT but rather your lack of non clinical volunteering. Most schools are looking for activities besides teaching and tutoring (Rush, St. Louis, Creighton, Loyola and Georgetown are looking for applicants with many hundreds of hours of non clinical volunteering). If possible, accumulate 150+ hours in an activity such as food bank or homeless shelter before you submit your application. You have a good DO list.
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Drexel University College of Medicine
Temple University (Lewis Katz School of Medicine)
Jefferson (Sidney Kimmel Medical College)
Penn State College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin University Chicago Medical School
University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine
Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Ponce (St. Louis)
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Belmont
Methodist
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
I would not retake the MCAT if you haven't shown a +10 improvement on practices vs. your last score. Most schools average your scores when screening your application, even if they might consider your most recent or your best score later on.

You have lots of teaching/tutoring/mentoring, even through your dance hobby. While the people you have served have been underresourced, your service orientation activities do not seem to exist (as mentioned above: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, housing rehabilitation), and your file is at high risk of getting screened out at most schools.

Network with local schools. Duquesne and LECOM are closest to you if you are still at Pitt. You can talk with Rowan DO, PCOM, and NYCOM if you are back in New Jersey.
Hi, thank you for your feedback!
I wanted to clarify the second non-clinical volunteering experience I have noted. Throughout college, I have been involved with an orphanage serving individuals with disabilities, where I contributed to infrastructure improvements, meal preparation and distribution, connecting residents with job opportunities, developing an electronic database for medical records and donor tracking, and implementing/teaching enhanced hygiene protocols. Given the scope and continuity of this work, I was wondering if this experience would be considered substantial non-clinical volunteering in the context you mentioned. I also recognize that this work has been primarily international (though I do have personal ties to the region of the community), so I wanted to ask how international service is typically viewed in comparison to local community engagement.
I plan to increase my involvement in local volunteering as well, but I would really appreciate your perspective on how this experience may be evaluated.
 
Hi, thank you for your feedback!
I wanted to clarify the second non-clinical volunteering experience I have noted. Throughout college, I have been involved with an orphanage serving individuals with disabilities, where I contributed to infrastructure improvements, meal preparation and distribution, connecting residents with job opportunities, developing an electronic database for medical records and donor tracking, and implementing/teaching enhanced hygiene protocols. Given the scope and continuity of this work, I was wondering if this experience would be considered substantial non-clinical volunteering in the context you mentioned. I also recognize that this work has been primarily international (though I do have personal ties to the region of the community), so I wanted to ask how international service is typically viewed in comparison to local community engagement.
I plan to increase my involvement in local volunteering as well, but I would really appreciate your perspective on how this experience may be evaluated.
Going by above description, I would value it, but you need to affirm my interpretation.

Not all reviewers are going to value an international experience; why couldn't you do this while you are back in the US? For example, how about housing renovations for veterans with disabilities? Why didn't you pursue occupational therapy or speech language pathology that is focused on disabilities?

I admit i might be a bit harder than most advice you could get on the internet, but i have learned to anticipate these questions and still get surprised when the adcom doors are closed and sealed.