MD WAMC + School List Help! PA ORM 520/3.97

Started by wwwzzwww
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wwwzzwww

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! This is my first post on SDN, so my bad if I'm not following any rules right or anything of that nature. I would appreciate any suggestions for my school list! I just made some pretty large changes to it recently. Let me know what you guys think, and thank you!!!

cGPA/sGPA: 3.97, 3.94
MCAT: 520 (130, 127, 132, 131)
Residency/Ethnicity: PA Resident with WA ties (Lived there my first 10 years of life), Non-US Citizen but permanent resident (Will be citizen soon fingers crossed), ORM
Undergrad: PA State School

Clinical experience: 300 hours
- Volunteer: 200 hrs as a patient advocate liaison in a local hospital
- Volunteer: 100 hrs at a free clinic in a scribe role (Worked closely with underrepresented populations)
- Paid Clinical: 0 hrs!!! I am starting a new job as a phlebotomist later this month

Research experience: 800 hours
- 450 hours Research Assistant at a Psych Lab
- 250 hours Research Assistant at a Nutrition Lab
- 100 hours Summer Research Assistant at a Biomedical Engineering Lab
- No posters, 1 end-author manuscript in progress, 1 first-author project in progress with a university grant to fund it.

Shadowing: 100 hours across cardiology, neurosurgery, and sports medicine

Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hours

- 200 hours free SAT tutoring (Not marketed specifically toward underrepresented communities, but they make up a majority of the student population).
- 100 hrs hosting one of the largest HS/MS science competitions in the state.
- (Don't think it counts, but I also raised around $30,000 through stadium volunteering, which went towards charitable efforts and this would be around 50 hours)

Other Extracurriculars:
- 100 hrs as treasurer for Science Comp club
- 50 hrs as project coordinator for stadium volunteering club
- 75 hrs as treasurer for cultural/social justice club
- 80 hrs as both the president of a niche sport group and a member of the travel team itself. (The team won the national championship for the sport)
- 260 hours as a TA for a biology lab where we specifically taught students how to "do research" (protocols, scientific method, monitored projects, etc.)
- 32 hours as an LA for a nutrition course with my PI

Relevant Honors/Awards:
-
Dean's list and University awards for maintaining a high GPA
- Research grant

Misc.
- Narrative for me is heavy on education and leveraging my past/experiences as an immigrant to guide more equal opportunity and health access to all (All research projects are focused on social determinants of health in some way).
- Sports in general are important to me, but I'm most likely just going to mention those in my secondaries, etc.

School List:
1779255418565.png
 
You do not have any non clinical volunteering hours that medical schools are looking for. That will limit your chances since some schools screen at 150 hours and top tier school expect more. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Geisinger
Pittsburgh
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
George Washington
U Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami
USF Morsani
Ohio State
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Northwestern
TCU
Washington University (in St. Louis-they like high stat applicants)
Vanderbilt
Kaiser
Colorado
Iowa
Arizona (Phoenix)
 
You do not have any non clinical volunteering hours that medical schools are looking for. That will limit your chances since some schools screen at 150 hours and top tier school expect more. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Geisinger
Pittsburgh
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
George Washington
U Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami
USF Morsani
Ohio State
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Northwestern
TCU
Washington University (in St. Louis-they like high stat applicants)
Vanderbilt
Kaiser
Colorado
Iowa
Arizona (Phoenix)
Thanks for the response! I completely get your concerns about my non-clinical volunteering hours, do you think there is still time to get that something on the board there? To be honest, I thought my tutoring would have counted since I was working directly with underrepresented populations back home (Both the kids and their families). Is this one of those things where how I choose to frame it in the activity descriptions determines whether this fits or not?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the response! I completely get your concerns about my non-clinical volunteering hours, do you think there is still time to get that something on the board there? To be honest, I thought my tutoring would have counted since I was working directly with underrepresented populations back home (Both the kids and their families). Is this one of those things where how I choose to frame it in the activity descriptions determines whether this fits or not?
If you had posted your WAMC in January, you would have had another 3-4 months to begin a service orientation activity (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, housing rehabilitation). As such, and it seems you are chomping at the bit to submit an application, I would just say start now so you can have at least 150 hours if you have to reapply next year.

Every premed teaches, tutors, or mentors, and most of them work directly with underrepresented or underresourced students; as such, it won't help you stand out in the pool. Teaching is an academic activity demonstrating your subject matter expertise and is NOT service orientation which is acting in community with humility. Unless you were employed as a teacher, the rubrics I have used do not give you credit for service orientation.
 
If you had posted your WAMC in January, you would have had another 3-4 months to begin a service orientation activity (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, housing rehabilitation). As such, and it seems you are chomping at the bit to submit an application, I would just say start now so you can have at least 150 hours if you have to reapply next year.

Every premed teaches, tutors, or mentors, and most of them work directly with underrepresented or underresourced students; as such, it won't help you stand out in the pool. Teaching is an academic activity demonstrating your subject matter expertise and is NOT service orientation which is acting in community with humility. Unless you were employed as a teacher, the rubrics I have used do not give you credit for service orientation.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Nonclinical volunteering is 100% something I am going to address immediately! Outside of the nonclinical volunteering, do you think my application is strong?
 
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Nonclinical volunteering is 100% something I am going to address immediately! Outside of the nonclinical volunteering, do you think my application is strong?
Other than describing your narrative as being all about teaching and not about becoming a doctor... you're probably otherwise good. It just takes one area of deficiency though...