WAMC/School List Help Low GPA/High MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDHz

Reaction score
From TX, currently lives in MD, and has ties to NM and MS

Graduated, near the end of my first gap year

Undergraduate major: Biology

Cumulative gpa: 3.1

Science gpa: 3.0

MCAT: 520

Research: Clinical research assistant in department of neurosurgery (full time job), research assistant in undergrad: 50 hours total, lab assistant for faculty member, and 1 publication pending.

Clinical experience: Clinical research assistant (I have patient interactions 40% of the time)

Physician shadowing: Low. 2 doctors that I work with allow me to sit in on consults when getting new patients for our studies. Estimate: 100 hours

Non-clinical volunteer: Tutor in intro STEM and language courses as an undergrad (I was paid so should this be in leadership?), Mentor for BIPOC students at my university 100 hours

Other leadership: President of an organization for Black women, Political action chair for Association of Black students, Treasurer for my sorority's chapter, and public relations director for HOSA

I took a semester off my junior year for reasons not related to academics, but I still graduated on time.

No immediate family members in medicine
Interest in rural care and primary care

School list: All TX schools, Tulane, EVMS, Loyola, , Meharry, Temple, Creighton, Drexel, Jefferson, Wayne State, NYMC, Tufts, Loyola, Georgetown, George Washington and University of Maryland (I currently work here and will have LORs from faculty, although I understand that may not help anything)

I'm still working on my DO school list as I currently only have UNT so I am very open to suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas resident
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All your Texas MD schools
For AMCAS schools I suggest these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
U Maryland
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Fro Do schools I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All your Texas MD schools
For AMCAS schools I suggest these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
U Maryland
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Fro Do schools I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Feels good to know I wasn't too far off on the MD schools. I was worried I was making a big leap on those. And I will be adding the DO schools to my list. Quick question is it true that a DO LOR is required? Thanks so much for your help!

Feels good to know I wasn't too far off on the MD schools. I was worried I was making a big leap on those. And I will be adding the DO schools to my list. Quick question is it true that a DO LOR is required? Thanks so much for your help!
A few schools require a DO letter. You will need to check with each school.