WAMC- School List Help (URM, 3.5, 508)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C@rol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am working on building my school list and was hoping I can receive some help. I am not too familiar with SDN, so I apologize if this is not in the correct format, etc.

My undergrad institution requires a LOR from a DO we have shadowed/worked with in order to apply to DO schools. My shadowing opportunity was canceled in February due to the pandemic and it doesn't look like I will be able to get a LOR by March, so I am only planning on applying to MD programs for now.

GPA:
  • Cumulative: 3.50
  • Science: 3.34
MCAT:
Research:
  • Will have worked in clinical research for 4.5 years by next May
  • Have received several promotions
  • 2 posters and potentially 1-2 publications (not 1st author) at the very least (in-progress)
Employment:
  • I currently work at a nonprofit as a research coordinator. My work mainly focuses on regulatory matters & recruiting minorities into our research studies.
Shadowing:
  • 50 hrs
  • PCP, ER, Neuro, & psych
Volunteering:
  • ~320 hrs giving free English classes (president of that undergrad club
  • Just started tutoring under-served immigrant children twice per week, will have at least another 100hrs by May
Clinical:
  • ~440hrs working in psych clinic (helped patients complete psych screening and coordinated all referrals)
  • ~100 hrs volunteering at local hospital
Residence:
  • I have spent half my time in Florida (where I went to highschool) and half in Mass (where I did my undergrad and my current job is located).
I am also URM (Mexican woman) and fluent in Spanish. Will most likely qualify for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program (not sure if that is relevant?).

I am concerned my current list is way too top-heavy but do not really know where to apply given my low academics and inability to apply to DO schools due to my undergraduate institution's LOR rules. Current list is:
-Albert Einstein
-GW University
-Loma Linda
-Nova Southeastern (MD)
-St Louis
-U Miami
-FIU
-Florida Sate
-University of South Florida
-Vermont
-Albany Medical
-Chicago Medical (Rosalind)
-Drexel
-Georgetown
-Loyola
-NYMC
-Rush
-Tufts (worked/volunteered there and have LOR from faculty)
-BU (worked/volunteered there and have LOR from faculty)
-Tulane
-Wake Forest
-Dartmouth
-U Mass
-Central Florida
-Thomas Jefforson
-Florida Atlantic

@Faha and @Goro your input is greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I am working on building my school list and was hoping I can receive some help. I am not too familiar with SDN, so I apologize if this is not in the correct format, etc.

My undergrad institution requires a LOR from a DO we have shadowed/worked with in order to apply to DO schools. My shadowing opportunity was canceled in February due to the pandemic and it doesn't look like I will be able to get a LOR by March, so I am only planning on applying to MD programs for now.

GPA:
MCAT:
Research:
  • 2 posters and potentially 1-2 publications (not 1st author) at the very least (in-progress)
Employment:
  • I currently work at a nonprofit as a research coordinator. My work mainly focuses on regulatory matters & recruiting minorities into our research studies.
Shadowing:
  • 50 hrs
Volunteering:
  • Just started tutoring under-served immigrant children twice per week, will have at least another 100hrs by May
Clinical:
  • ~440hrs working in psych clinic (helped patients complete psych screening and coordinated all referrals)
Residence:
  • I have spent half my time in Florida (where I went to highschool) and half in Mass (where I did my undergrad and my current job is located).
I am also URM (Mexican woman) and fluent in Spanish. Will most likely qualify for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program (not sure if that is relevant?).

I am concerned my current list is way too top-heavy but do not really know where to apply given my low academics and inability to apply to DO schools due to my undergraduate institution's LOR rules. Current list is:
-Albert Einstein
-GW University
-Loma Linda
-Nova Southeastern (MD)
-St Louis
-U Miami
-FIU
-Florida Sate
-Vermont
-Albany Medical
-Drexel
-Georgetown
-Loyola
-NYMC
-Rush
-Tulane
-Wake Forest
-Dartmouth
-U Mass
-Central Florida
-Thomas Jefforson
-Florida Atlantic

Of your school list,
All is fine except strike Loma Linda, unless you are SDA.
For DO schools, ignore your UG school and just ask the LOR writers to submit their LORs separately. And DO schools aren't anal about committee LORs the way some MD schools are.

Of your school list,
All is fine except strike Loma Linda, unless you are SDA.
For DO schools, ignore your UG school and just ask the LOR writers to submit their LORs separately. And DO schools aren't anal about committee LORs the way some MD schools are.
Thank you for replying!
Sounds good, I will take Loma Linda off.
Unfortunately faculty at my UG school send all LORs directly to the pre-health committee. It is all set up so they have the final say regarding which schools I can and cannot apply to, so I most likely will not be able to apply DO. Are there any other lower-tier MD schools I should apply to instead?
Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for replying!
Sounds good, I will take Loma Linda off.
Unfortunately faculty at my UG school send all LORs directly to the pre-health committee. It is all set up so they have the final say regarding which schools I can and cannot apply to, so I most likely will not be able to apply DO. Are there any other lower-tier MD schools I should apply to instead?
Thanks again!
I understand that your school has this rigid and anal protocol, but can you simply ask your profs if they can simply take the same LORs that they sent tot he committees and load them into Interfolio? And tell the pre-med committee that there's this thing called COVID that raging and as such, DO schools aren't requiring DO LORs this cycle?

Other MD schools to consider would be:
Creighton
TCU/UNT
Seton Hall
Netter
Wake
U VM
VCU
EVMS

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

GPA:
MCAT:
Research:
Employment:
Shadowing:
  • 50 hrs
Volunteering:
Clinical:
Residence:

-Albert Einstein
-GW University
-Loma Linda
-Nova Southeastern (MD)
-St Louis
-U Miami
-FIU
-Florida Sate
-Vermont
-Albany Medical
-Drexel
-Georgetown
-Loyola
-NYMC
-Rush
-Tulane
-Wake Forest
-Dartmouth
-U Mass
-Central Florida
-Thomas Jefforson
-Florida Atlantic

Hello there.
Wright + Wayne (although its public). Agree with the above. Apply DO as well (match list is just as good as MD)

Some DO school:
Rowan
PCOM
UNE
Edward Via
Western University COMP (Pomona)

Nowadays most DO schools don't require a DO letter so I don't know why your institutional committee process would require it.

I would network with Pre-SOMA clubs at many of the medical schools. You can also use these suggestions (which I have used), including checking the state medical board for licensed DO's near you and your state osteopathic medical association. Shadowing A DO - Training To Become An Osteopathic Physician - ChooseDO . LinkedIn also works well if you use it right; at least ask for a virtual 20 minute meet-up.