This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

splitter23

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, there! New to the SDN family 🙂

I needed some help with my school list and such, so I came here! I would love to see what schools I should apply to and if it’s worth applying to T20s (particularly Weill Cornell and Icahn) with my application 🙂

My undergraduate GPA was impacted by early struggles in Intro Bio and Chem while I was battling undiagnosed/untreated endometriosis. Once my health was managed, my performance shifted significantly. I am hoping my MCAT and 4.0 post-bacc demonstrate that my early grades are not reflective of my current capabilities.

STATS
Bio: MD Resident, Dual Degree in Public Health & Sociology. URM. Low income (very low income lol like full pell grant and everything)

The Stats

Cumulative GPA: 3.60

Science GPA (sGPA): 3.55

Post-Bacc GPA: 4.0 (all credits)

MCAT: 526 (132 / 130 / 132 / 132)

Trend: Strong upward trend over the last 54 undergraduate credits, maintained through the post-bacc.

Targeting
Primary: MD (High-tier, Mid-tier, and In-state)

Secondary: Open to DO if necessary, but hoping the MCAT carries me for MD.

Extracurriculars
Research: ~2,500 hours. Includes 1st-author publication + 1 National Poster Presentation.

Clinical Paid (Gap Years): 3,000 hours as a full-time Medical Assistant/CRC.

Leadership: S.I.M (VP/Coordinator). 1,000 hours over 4 years. Focused on mentorship and advocacy for Black women in healthcare.

Non-Medical Employment: 3,000 hours. Worked throughout college (service/retail) to fund my education.

Teaching/Mentoring: 400 hours (ESL & underserved K-12 tutoring in Baltimore).

Advocacy & Social Justice: 400hours (Public Health/Sociology policy projects; Hearts for the Homeless).

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 300 hours (Consistent service in West Baltimore food banks/shelters).

Shadowing: 100 hours (3+ specialties including Primary Care).

Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Dean’s List, President’s List
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
George Washington
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
New York Medical College
Rochester
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Ohio State
Case Western
Cincinnati
 
Welcome to the forums.

Have you networked with anyone in SNMA or attending their national convention in a couple of weeks? They are very active with online programming, and I suggest you make the rounds at recruitment fairs or open houses. Take your shot, and make the schools recruit you, even if it seems Hopkins is a natural fit for you and your experiences.