WAMC/school list - low gpa high(ish) MCAT (3.48/516)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pomegranate_seltzer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.48 sGPA: 3.43 (upward trend, last two years were a 3.8* with high level biol/neuro classes)
  2. 516 (126/127/132/131)
  3. Massachusetts
  4. White
  5. Clinical experience - 150 hours working as an EMT, ~1,200 hours working as a nursing assistant (projected through june 2019, gap year job), 20 hours volunteering in a dialysis unit (not sure if I should include it/let it take up an entire activity)
  6. Research - 850 hours in a molecular neuroscience lab, 600 hours in ethics for my honors project (poster presentation, going to submit to journals as a first author, BUT it's a review)
  7. Shadowing - 48 hours, orthopedics, urogynecology, plastic surgery, geriatrics, cardiology, primary care
  8. Non-clinical volunteering - ~750 hours for an active listening phone service, leadership position
  9. Other extracurricular activities - ran an orientation event (managed a $50,000 budget, leadership, 2 years); sailing instructor at a nonprofit (5 years); raced in a national level sailing regatta; was an editor for a visual art magazine on campus (one year, leadership); rock climbing on and off since high school
  10. Awards - Dean's Undergraduate Multidisciplinary Research List, Dean's list 2016-17
  11. I'm not sure if I should add the quirkier things or what to list them as. I really like to make ice cream and do art projects, but I'm not a formal artist and I don't have training. I might omit these in my app! (if you have input, would love to hear it!)
Would love input on my school list! I need to cut some, and I don't know where to begin. I know my GPA hurts my app, so I want to apply very broadly! I kept the New England reaches because although I'd be lucky to get any IIs, a part of me keeps thinking, "you miss every shot you don't take"

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Western Michigan University
Oakland Beaumont
Boston University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Saint Louis University
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
University of Miami
Weill Cornell
University of Rochester
Virginia Commonwealth University
Creighton University School of Medicine
Cooper Rowan
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Case Western Reserve School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Georgetown
George Washington
Penn State
Harvard
Frank H. Netter at Quinnipiac
Virginia Tech Carilion
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson
Loyola Stritch
New York Medical College
Lewis Katz at Temple
Tufts
UMass
UVM
Tulane
Warren Alpert at Brown
Rush Medical College
Drexel University College of Medicine
Nova
EVMS
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
SUNY Downstate
California University

Members don't see this ad.

Cornell, Emory, Harvard, Rochester, Miami and Case Western are far reaches and not realistic. Virginia Tech, SUNY Downstate and Cooper Rowan accept very few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. You could add Seton Hall Western Michigan.

Cornell, Emory, Harvard, Rochester, Miami and Case Western are far reaches and not realistic. Virginia Tech, SUNY Downstate and Cooper Rowan accept very few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. You could add Seton Hall Western Michigan.
Thank you so much for your input!