WAMC/School list URM (3.6 BCPM/3.5 Cum Gpa) MCAT 508 Great ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beardown97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to SDN so if I am naive or annoying about anything please forgive me in advance. For my committee letter process, I need to make a school list and I wanted some feedback as I've heard good and bad about my application. I am looking for MD, but open to DO. Below I have included my stats and I appreciate the help in advance!
I also want to stay as close as I can to Chicago where family is but tbh anywhere is fine, just preferably stay here if I can.

I am an URM Mexican male who is not technically first gen because my mom got a bachelor's here through a parent back to college program, and I am do not qualify for fee assistance so I am not low socioeconomic status to AAMC standards. I will be graduating from Loyola Chicago in May with a bachelor's in Biology. Illinois Resident
MCAT 508, (127/126/125/130) First time test taker

GPA- 3.6 BCPM 3.5ish cumulative
after last semester grading in May 2022 from Loyola, I know could be better Honestly I **** the bed in chem and orgo but I am part of the honors college and program and I do have an upward trend as I have been doing better in upper level BIO and chem classes. I also broke my leg during orgo and lost my grandma to cancer during both semesters.
LOR - My school has a committee letter process where they have their letter and I include 5 letters of my own. I have planned 2 science (1 anatomy professor) (1 Research), 1 clinical, 1 Clincal research, 1 MD mentor. The anatomy professor will be a glowing letter as she is on the pre health advising committee as well as she can attest to my upward trend because I got a B+ then went to all her office hours and got help and got an A second semester. Second letter from my home institution research professor that will also be glowing. My clinical letter will also be glowing because it is from a free clinic for people with no insurance where I translate and interpret help doctors, do vitals the whole 9 yards. My clincal research letter will be from a fellowship from a top 15 hospital/medical school, the research is COVID-19 related as well. My last letter is from an MD physician/professor from the same institution but for a different opportunity where he was my mentor specifically.
EC - Most meaningful will be the clinic work I do where I help a large Hispanic population establish primary care as I translate, interpret for the doctor to patient and back and forth. I do everything from retinal exams, vitals, Px history, etc.
I have also done clinical research in terms of helping the battle with COVID-19 not a publication or anything super cool but definitely relevant for our time rn with the pandemic.
Second research fellowship is within the same top 15 institution where I am focused on patient care surveys, quality of care, doctor improvements etc, very patient based I love it, consenting, HIPPA, carrying out surveys etc.
Mosquito research has to do with testing environment-friendly larvacide to fight mosquitos but COVID messed it up but still have been breeding mosquitos for the lab to use on antioxidant defense, Plasmodium research etc, I initially did a fellowship externally through a different institution that led to connections within my institution, I've been doing it for about 2 years as well, also no publications but will be a poster presentation / fellowship scholarship award after I submit my final project
I also have my own business that takes a lot of my time but it took care of paying for school.
I do have non clincal service hours which I am looking to improve during my gap year about 200 now will improve In gap year, with oppurtunies to help community in line start date in a few wweeks

Any other questions or important need to know stats please ask more than open!!! I appreciate all of the help and again apologies for being annoying!

Members don't see this ad.

I need I think 20 for my school list, I am from the suburbs we moved from a not-great area to a safer area during highschool, I just want to stay because I'm very family oriented and this is the population I want to serve, I do volunteer clinic work in the area for non English speakers and that is ideally the audience I want to cater to and help the most.