MD WAMC: Texas| 507 MCAT (128 CP, 125 CARS, 125 BIO, 129 PS)| cGPA 3.98, sGPA 3.96

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPremed97

Reaction score
Middle Eastern (White), Male, TX resident wanting to attend an in state MD school (will also be applying DO, but prefer MD):

507 MCAT (128 CP, 125 CARS, 125 BIO, 129 PS): if I don't get in this cycle, I will retake it.
Majored in Neuroscience: cGPA 3.98, sGPA 3.96
Shadowing/Clinical Volunteering: 660 hrs
Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hrs
Research: 1,130 hrs, no publications.
Good LORs, Essays.

Would be grateful for your input also @Goro @Faha.

Members don't see this ad.

Middle Eastern (White), Male, TX resident wanting to attend an in state MD school (will also be applying DO, but prefer MD):

507 MCAT (128 CP, 125 CARS, 125 BIO, 129 PS): if I don't get in this cycle, I will retake it.
Good LORs, Essays.

TX is not my area of expertise. They seem to like high GPAs.

You're fine for any DO school.

@wysdoc
Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Be more specific on your clinical and non-clinical experiences. 100 non-clinical hours is a little light. How are you picking your match schools?
Thanks for the reply. Non clinical hours are pretty much one time events like volunteering with special needs kids and at soup kitchens. I agree it’s light.

I’m not matching (sorry I still don’t understand this term). I’m applying this cycle to all schools on TMSDAS. Aiming for UTMB, McGovern, or Texas Techs (Lubbock/El Paso). I know most of the others are reach and UH is fairly new.

Just really worried about my decision of not taking the MCAT again and instead focusing on extracurriculars (clinical volunteering and Scribing).

The Texas schools like high GPA's. Just apply to some DO schools also.
I agree, spending the time doing some more patient-facing activities will probably boost your application better than studying for the MCAT again right now. Your GPA establishes your intellectual capability.
Apply to the DO schools too (TCOM and SHSU are included in the TMDSAS app) and look at TCU/UNTHSC on AMCAS to see if it appeals to you. Are you going to apply to any AMCAS schools that fit your MCAT range?

I agree, spending the time doing some more patient-facing activities will probably boost your application better than studying for the MCAT again right now. Your GPA establishes your intellectual capability.
Apply to the DO schools too (TCOM and SHSU are included in the TMDSAS app) and look at TCU/UNTHSC on AMCAS to see if it appeals to you. Are you going to apply to any AMCAS schools that fit your MCAT range?
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure if I can afford some of the OOS schools if I were to apply through AMCAS, but I really do want to be a doctor. So, I’ll most likely send in my application just in case. Any suggestions for a school list?

Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure if I can afford some of the OOS schools if I were to apply through AMCAS, but I really do want to be a doctor. So, I’ll most likely send in my application just in case. Any suggestions for a school list?
It will be easier this year as Baylor is joining the TMDSAS app system. You can think about applying on AACOMAS - vs - AMCAS if you want to apply beyond Texas.
edited to add-
@Faha is the list wizard if they have time.
I have usually told Texans that they can apply to just the TX schools their first (& hopefully only) application cycle, but am stunned this year by some of the high stats applicants who got TX interviews but no TMDSAS match on Match Day.

Last edited:
Wait, DO schools are part of the TMDSAS application? Are DO schools not a separate application process?

Wait, DO schools are part of the TMDSAS application? Are DO schools not a separate application process?
The two schools I listed ARE part of the TMDSAS application system, so that makes it very easy to add them without doing a separate application platform.
The 3rd Texas DO school, UIWSOM in San Antonio, uses the AACOMAS app system.

Good LORs, Essays.

Personally, I have two friends who had a 509 MCAT and similar GPAs to yours (white, females) and are TX residents. One of them got 5 MD interviews (McGovern, LongSOM, UTMB, Tech Lubbock, A&M and matched to UTMB) and the other got 4 MD interviews (Baylor, UTMB, A&M, McGovern and matched to McGovern). They did not apply to DO. Knowing what their ECs are and their essays, I would say you are very similar to their applications. I feel like you have a good chance at the following schools, although I am not an expert or anything, this is just based on my experience with having a lot of premed friends who were successful and not successful, as well as my experience, applying and getting accepted. There are SO many factors into why people get interviews/accepted or not. I had a friend with STELLAR stats (4.0, 520+, URM) and got all TX interviews but McGovern and was rejected ultimately from McGovern but accepted everywhere else, so each school just really has its own way of viewing applicants, and it's random sometimes. That is why essays are SO crucial because they help you stand out further! Anyways, here's where I think you stand, even though I don't know how your essays are:

TX MDs (decent chance to receive interview):
-UTRGV (510, 3.72)
-A&M (513, 3.84)
-UTMB (511, 3.88)
-Tech (EP + Lubbock) (EP: 512 MCAT, 3.89 gpa) (Lubbock: 510 mcat, 3.87 gpa)
-McGovern (I was going to put McGovern in the 'reach' pile but I've seen a lot of people who have lower GPAs with similar MCAT scores get an interview here, so that's why I put it here) (513 MCAT, 3.88 gpa)

TX MDs that are a "reach" for an interview (This is based off of MCAT & gpa averages, as well as strongly committed mission statements):
-Long (517 MCAT, 3.88 avg))
-UH (they are very committed to accepting people who want to pursue primary care and have experience)
-UTSW (518 avg MCAT, 3.9+ GPA avg)
-Baylor (518 avg MCAT, 3.9+ GPA avg)
-Dell (513 MCAT, 3.77 gpa, but very mission oriented)
-TCU/UNTHSC (very mission orientated)

TX DOs (you have a solid chance at all of these):
-UIWSOM
-TCOM
-SHSU

Overall, if you play your cards right and deliver a solid application early on in the cycle, I assume you will get accepted somewhere here in TX and receive some interviews. In reality, you could get an interview at any of these schools and accepted, it will just depend on how well they view your app! Had a friend with a 505 MCAT and avg GPA get into UTSW!! So, anything is possible. Good luck future doc! :)