WAMC went pre-dental junior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf1225

Reaction score
NA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As an international resident but a US citizen, please clarify. Most dental schools are located in cities but the question is whether you find a good community where you can get support. Thus not all cities are the same, and the type of community you identify with is important.

Reactions: 1 user
As an international resident but a US citizen, please clarify. Most dental schools are located in cities but the question is whether you find a good community where you can get support. Thus not all cities are the same, and the type of community you identify with is important.
I was born in the states and lived there for a bit but I grew up internationally. I'm currently doing my gap year abroad.

How can I research what community suits me best? I'm kind of stumped as to where to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was born in the states and lived there for a bit but I grew up internationally. I'm currently doing my gap year abroad.

How can I research what community suits me best? I'm kind of stumped as to where to start.
The best way is to identify the communities you currently belong to. You mentioned you do translation so that's one place to start.

WAMC I'm mostly aiming for schools in a city but other than that I have no clue what I should be looking for to put my school list together... Send help...

Date of submission: this cycle
Overall GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.33
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.29
DAT score:
26 AA
23 Bio
28 gChem
30 oChem
23 PA
26 QR
24 RC
26 TS
State of Residence: international resident, US citizen

Undergrad Attended:
Major:
Biology, concentration in genetics
Minority? No - Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200+hrs general dentist, 10+hrs oral surgery, 10+ hrs orthodontist, 10+ hours another general dentist, 120+ hours internal medicine, 10+ hours surgery, 10+ hours pathology
Volunteering Experience: 300+ hours science mentorship organization for kids (3 years), 100+ hours teaching english at a public center, 100+ hours at local soup kitchen for the elderly, organization for autistic children 100+ hours, summer mentorship for children 50+ hours
Employment: online tutoring (4 years) science for kids in hs and college, receptionist at dental office (4 months), marketing at a dental clinic (current, 1 month so far), translating biology papers for publication (2 years, freelance), translating for local art museum (4 years, freelance)
Research: microbiology (2 years) research intern, psychology research (4 months, cut short due to covid), chemical engineering research intern (3 months, cut short because of covid), epidemiology research (1 year, published main-author paper)
Other Extracurriculars: can speak 2 languages in addition to english (organized program for conversation partners for languages at college)
Relevant Honors or Awards: research scholarship for psychology
LOR type and strength: biology (not sure), biology (moderate), dentist (strong), history (strong), chemical engineering research mentor (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: two Cs (physics semester 2, general chemistry semester 2) + failed some pass/fail courses during COVID, switched to dentistry pretty late so I have a lot of activities all over the place
School list:
(putting this together at the moment)
USC
BU
Tufts
Colombia
NYU
Upenn
University of Illinois at Chicago
UCLA
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Rutgers
Buffalo
Temple University
Texas A and M
UNC
University of Pacific
Case Western
Howard
there are a couple guides to help you select schools on this site, and many more online and on youtube...

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have parents that live in the US and pay taxes here? that would give you state residency

Reactions: 1 users